Congrats ford!

Voltwings

Established Member
well obviously they would have done better than 1st 3rd and 4th in class with a V8 :rollseyes:rollseyes

watched damn near the whole race, the GTs were on their pace the entire time, they never really "backed off" or took it easy at any point. Its pretty incredible what these cars go through in that 24 hour period.

kino

Established Member
The ecoboost prived its self in the daytona prototypes. They had the power and the engine reliability so it was going to come down to how reliable they could get the rest of the car plus proper stratgey.

Voltwings

Established Member
I think they finalized the penalty on the ferrari giving Ford the sweep.

I was wondering how they were going to do that. Its not how you want to win, but one of the GTs had to come in at night when its side markers werent illuminatd, so the rules are the rules. It'd be that much sweeter if it were an outright win, but still, they were in position to take advantage of the penalty, so i suppose its an outright win in the end.

details? didnt get to watch much of it

about 17 minutes left in the race Ferrari was hit with a penalty that they ignored. The top 3 cars in each class are supposed to have illuminated markers, and theirs was out so they were told to come into the pits. Like i said, its not how you want to win, but one of the GTs got hit with a similar penalty.

Last edited:

Cobranator

Established Member
well obviously they would have done better than 1st 3rd and 4th in class with a V8 :rollseyes:rollseyes

watched damn near the whole race, the GTs were on their pace the entire time, they never really "backed off" or took it easy at any point. Its pretty incredible what these cars go through in that 24 hour period.

LOL Exactly.....the silence from the critics who were disparaging Ford after the 24 HR Daytona race because they did not have a good result with a brand new car is deafening. The FGT's were absolutely amazing and with V6 engines to boot.:poke:

Voltwings

Established Member
What was up with the C7-Rs? As die hard a Ford fan as i am, i was really hoping to see the GT / C7-R / 488 battle that just never really happened. The Vettes seemed way off their pace compared to the rest of the season... maybe they just got hit with an unfavorable BOP?

08mojo

Established Member
What was up with the C7-Rs? As die hard a Ford fan as i am, i was really hoping to see the GT / C7-R / 488 battle that just never really happened. The Vettes seemed way off their pace compared to the rest of the season... maybe they just got hit with an unfavorable BOP?

The c7r got hit big time with BOP earlier in the week. They went from having the fastest lap times in a practice session by 0.28x" to 4.6xx" slower. I don't know all the details, but something was amiss in BOP. The day before the race, BOP was adjusted again and gave corvette some power back, but obviously it was not enough. BOP definitely takes away from the sport to me. If a team dominates, and is within the rules, let them run away with it--and I'm not saying that would have been the c7r.

Voltwings

Established Member
The c7r got hit big time with BOP earlier in the week. They went from having the fastest lap times in a practice session by 0.28x" to 4.6xx" slower. I don't know all the details, but something was amiss in BOP. The day before the race, BOP was adjusted again and gave corvette some power back, but obviously it was not enough. BOP definitely takes away from the sport to me. If a team dominates, and is within the rules, let them run away with it--and I'm not saying that would have been the c7r.

i agree and disagree about the BOP. When watching Pirelli world challenge, they seem to do a good job and it makes for very good / competitive racing thats a ton of fun to watch. Those races are only like an hour long though, so obviously the margin of "BOP error" is much much smaller. I imagine when trying to factor a BOP into a 24 hour race, if you're even slightly off, you end up with what we had here... I agree, i'd rather just watch good racing, BUT one or two teams consistently running away with it isnt good racing either.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
You guys are acting like the GT had no bop. As I remember it had more wight and less boost that many if not all of its competitors.

FWIW - here was the BoP they ran at Silverstone.

Aston Martin Vantage - 1230 kg (-10 kg)
Porsche 911 RSR - 1240 kg
Corvette C7.R - 1240 kg
Ferrari 488 - 1240 kg
Ford GT - 1260 kg (+20 kg)

Ford GT between 45-70 lbs heavier as weight penalty.

Maximum boost pressure ratios for Ford GT and Ferrari 488.

attachment.php

So the GT has been given a bag of bricks to carry around, and has to run several PSI less than a car with two more cylinders and more displacement. It's at a fairly huge HP disadvantage right now. Tells you what they think would happen without the handicap (with accompanying reliability).

...If nothing else today proved how ridiculously favored the Ferraris are. They had a lap on the field amongst the cars that avoided incident. Consistently ran 1.5-2.5 seconds a lap faster, and at times busted off laps 3-4 seconds a lap faster. It's a joke.

Ford GT is the lightest production car, but gets made the heaviest GTE car in WEC. Ford GT has the least cylinders and displacement, but has the lowest boost pressure ceiling. Hard to explain the incentive to engineer a better base to work from to the casual fan...

Last edited:

kino

Established Member
The FORD GT was hit hard on BOP so its even more satisfying that they won. There is some butthurt from other fans but lets get real, that TT V6 spanked them.

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
Fox channel s****

It would have been nice to see the last two hours however fox in there infinite wisdom decided to change there scheduled programming and show ****ing golf instead. In fact fox changed there programming so much everything I set to record last week I had to reset Friday. I deleted my fox apps foxgo and fox now.
Gary

Voltwings

Established Member
Yeah, my dad and i had to start streaming it on FS go, because FS1 and FS2 kept showing Golf and UFC, despite advertising motor racing. Kind of a pain, but at least we got to watch it.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
It would have been nice to see the last two hours however fox in there infinite wisdom decided to change there scheduled programming and show f*****g golf instead. In fact fox changed there programming so much everything I set to record last week I had to reset Friday. I deleted my fox apps foxgo and fox now.
Gary
This, I sat down wanting to watch the last few hours, and Fox said it is now on FS2. Well, I don't have FS2 so screw me.

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member

The Ford sweep of Le Mans is why I became a ford fan and owner. I even tried to make a Le Mans track out of my slot car set. This is really great for Ford, there fans, there employees, Americans and racing fans around the world. To come back 50 years later and win one of worlds premier auto races; as one of the race announcers said you just can't script this stuff.
Congratulations to Ford great job done.
Gary

Users who are viewing this thread