Completed Solid axle swap today.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Just wanted to let you guys know that I succesfully swapped my rear end today. It was very straight forward and easy. Just time consuming. Luckily I was able to have access to a lift and that made life SO much easier. The drive quality is quite different, much more bumpy, but when I hit the gas, its either spinning or hooking. No wheel hop FTW!

If anyone is planning on this swap soon and have questions, please PM me and I can help you out. I swapped rear ends from an 03 GT. I'm very happy with the swap and will see what it does on the street this weekend. Hopefully it will lead to some good kills from a dig.:rockon:

iPhone pic...little rusty, but it will clean up nicely! Getting a brand new MAC catback to go in there too!

sra.jpg

Last edited:

stradt03

Established Member
congrats I did a SRA swap in my 01 cobra. I love it.

My axle tubes are rusted just like yours. Is there any way to remove that surface rust? I'm looking to paint the tubes.

BIGWHUP03

Established Member
To remove the rust i would use a wire wheel. and sandpaper and a lot of shoulder muscles lol. What brake caliper brackets did yall use or did yall swap brake calipers to gt calipers also what did yall do for the pinion flange/ u-joint to adapt the driveshaft?

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
To remove the rust i would use a wire wheel. and sandpaper and a lot of shoulder muscles lol. What brake caliper brackets did yall use or did yall swap brake calipers to gt calipers also what did yall do for the pinion flange/ u-joint to adapt the driveshaft?

I kept my calipers and took his rotors. Kept my pads. We also swapper the caliper frame things, can't remember the name...What the caliper bolts to.

We also swapped driveshafts to avoid have to adapt mine to his. It was hard to part with my aluminum driveshaft...

MikeW

Established Member
Congrats .. I dig my SRA :beer: You could have kept your driveshaft and just swapped pinion flanges. But hey whatever works :rockon:

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
how much lighter are you know give or take? hey smacked, how much would you charge if you had to do this for someone?

Not sure how much lighter I am, but I think the IRS is twice the weight of the solid axle. Hmm, I would probably ask $300 I think. Hell, I don't know!

I know any shop is going to BUST YOUR HEAD for work like this. Ver pricey I'm assuming.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Looks good man! I'm sure you will love the solid swap from a dig and hooking better!

I love mine! Not to mention, it shaved off some weight too!

Juruense

Banned
Congrats OP your car is now pretty much un-sellable and if you do manage to get a buyer expect 3-4k less for it.

Also, your car will be very unpredictable in curves and bounce sideways like all SRAs.

Nice job :kaboom:

MikeW

Established Member
:lol: I have an IRS in my 03 Vert and SRA in my 03 Coupe. If I didnt have solid bushings everywhere in the SRA I would never even know that the IRS is gone. My IRS out of the coupe feels much better sitting on the garage floor :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread