Completed Solid axle swap today.

MikeW

Established Member
Yeah, I dont understand their harsh tone...

My coupe is really worthless.. I cut and welded all kinds of stuff :lol1:

2911296318_97851c0603.jpg

2911286456_cc81d46974_b.jpg

GOUX

Established Member
It really is weird Every cobra guy wants to go straight and every GT guy wants to turn. Why don't we just buy the right car the first time around?

...proud IRS owner :)

I will say this, Wheel hop is a b!tch, but so is being out cornered by a semi... Arn't we sposta have flying cars already?

Last edited:

Juruense

Banned
I feel no hate and I give the OP props for accomplishing a fairly advanced task.

However, it saddens me to see another Cobra chopped up and reduced in value like that.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
hacked in the sense of modified to the point where it's value is severely decreased.

I understand the need and get the purpose. It just saddens me to see people rip out the IRS when it can handle it if prepared correctly.

MikeW

Established Member
hacked in the sense of modified to the point where it's value is severely decreased.

I understand the need and get the purpose. It just saddens me to see people rip out the IRS when it can handle it if prepared correctly.

The "value decrease" is an opionin... My opinion is that is would not effect the value if I were in the market. If done correctly I would even pay more $$$ for a SRA set up like mine. It does not "rip" out it is remove and replace. If you are concerned with "value" you should have bought one new and put zero miles on it. And please dont give me the "my car is worth more BS" that is an insane statement. I will not be selling mine anytime soon and could careless what the value is is 20+years. If I do sell mine I will put the IRS in if the new owner wants it. I will take the built SRA and stick it under my 98 Cobra.

Oh my Torch Red vet has @10k mikes so it is worth more than yours and is more "rare" too. :poke: j/k but see how that works?

Digital

Established Member
The "value decrease" is an opionin... My opinion is that is would not effect the value if I were in the market. If done correctly I would even pay more $$$ for a SRA set up like mine. It does not "rip" out it is remove and replace. If you are concerned with "value" you should have bought one new and put zero miles on it. And please dont give me the "my car is worth more BS" that is an insane statement. I will not be selling mine anytime soon and could careless what the value is is 20+years. If I do sell mine I will put the IRS in if the new owner wants it. I will take the built SRA and stick it under my 98 Cobra.

Oh my Torch Red vet has @10k mikes so it is worth more than yours and is more "rare" too. :poke: j/k but see how that works?
This is completely true.

The IRS can indeed be made to handle higher hp numbers. But for people making 800-900+ tq the IRS is going to cost A LOT MORE to build then a SRA and you can make a solid handle very very similiar to a IRS. Don't be fooled by a stock GTs cornering, there are very few mods needed for it to handle almost identical to a stock IRS.
I'd rather snap a 120$ moser 31 or 33 then snap a $700 lvl 5 half shaft.
Plus there is no argueing the insane weight loss. Have a skinny dude sit in your car and race, then have him get out, that's the difference right there in weight.
All this talk about loss of value? You're kidding me right? A lighty built SRA costs more then a stock IRS so how is that decreasing its value? If anything I see people with built solids getting MORE for the cars. Flawed logic much?

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
I agree, who cares what the new owners see as something that decreases value.

Who in the hell buys these cars to drive them easy or let them sit? Any potential buyer that believes the car he is buying has never been beat on or driven hard is an idiot.

SRA FTW!!

CobraKid04

Established Member

Dang, that solid looks sweet as hell. What all do you have done to the rear?

MikeW

Established Member
Dang, that solid looks sweet as hell. What all do you have done to the rear?

Thanks I was going level 5 halfs but went the SRA way... I am glad that I did . The car now hits the scales at 3518.

The rear has:

02 GT Donor the tubes were straightened & welded
I had the whole rear powdercoated gloss black

31 spline moser axles
Detroit Tru-Track Diff
3.73 Richmond lightweight gears
3 inch studs
New GT Rotors from Tousley
Hawk GT pads
Wild Rides Battle boxes upper & Lower & welded tq Boxes
UPR Pro-Series XD Double Adjustable Upper CA’s with Spherical bushings
Team Z street/strip LCA's with sspherical bushings
Stock Rear Sway Bar
H&R Sport Springs
Strange 10-way adjustable shocks
Borla Stinger SRA CB
+ all the other odds and ends.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
How much clearance do you have between the passengers side muffler and the drive shaft? It looks like it's touching to me. Maybe it's just the angle though.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Hey, whats this all about? I got a PM from a member asking me these questions and I had no clue. Can someone please fill me in?:shrug:

did you use a solid pinion spacer or just a regular crush sleave? im in the process of going to a live axle in my 03cobra.my friend insists on me using a solid pinion spacer with shims because he thinks that the crush sleave is likely to crush more and make slack in the drivline. i have 648 rear wheel hp 760 coming in the future when i can afford to get nitrous and bump the boost pay for tuning ect ect. he thinks at the strip on slicks high rpm dumps with that much power may cause crush sleave to crush some.if i use solid pinion spacer i will have to wait almost a week before i can start working on it. waiting for parts to come in and a few other delays but i want it in now. is it worth the wait?

Invictus

Banned
However, it saddens me to see another Cobra chopped up and reduced in value like that.

What the hell are you talking about? A solid axle swap, if you have the cobra pinion flange consists of about 8 bolts and re-attaching the e-brake cables and brake lines... It takes one person all of about 3 hours if that.

"Chopped up and reduced in value?" Based off of what? The IRS swap is a performance mod in that it reduces a considerable amount of weight and becomes much eaiser/cheaper to set the car up for the 1320'. Unless your car is BONE-STOCK down to the paper filter I really don't understand your reasoning. An IRS swap will reduce the car's value in terms of mods, just as much as your upper pulley will.

:bash:

TVSCobra

Established Member

[/quote]

Very nice :)

Users who are viewing this thread