Complete car detail....50 hours and counting...Check it out!

CobraMac

Established Member
I started a thread a while back...but I'm make this one and going to keep updating it!

So I haven't driven my cobra in 10 months...I took the whipple off, sold it and saved for my massive twin turbo project. It was finally completely finished last Monday...so I towed it home Tuesday....took it for a spin around the block with no bumper, then immediately put it on jackstand haha. Not driving it for 10 months...you can't imagine how dirty a car can get just sitting around...and the gang at RET even took greattt care of it, washing it all the time, etc. This needed to be done for a whileee now tho! I'll be updating, as I continue over the next two days. Full 100% detail!! :clap:

I have spent around 50 hours on the car so far...have a ton of things done.
-Cleaned the entire wheel wells and inner fenders and then used duplicolor bedliner spray to re-coat the inner fenders
-Buffed the car and removed the swirls...on the polishing stage
-Painted the gas tank cover and straps
-Polished the exhaust
-Put in new ARP studs for the wheels and put on 1/2" spacers
-Moved the intercooler and mounts up higher in the front

Things still need to do:
-Clean entire interior
-Finishing polishing the car...then glaze and then wax
-Put on new 3rd brake light
-Put on new front chin spoiler

First thing...the wheel wheels and everything under there.

What it looked like before:
P1010896.jpg

Then after (Different side obviously haha):
P1010892.jpg

Now with the Duplicolor bedliner spray!

Rear with flash off:
DSCN0247.jpg

Flash on:
DSCN0246.jpg

Front with flash off:
DSCN0249.jpg

Flash on:
DSCN0251.jpg

Next step....polishing the exhaust. This is a chore and a half (especially since I haven't cleaned the metal in 3 years). It took soooo long! 5 hours for each side! It was sooo worth it though!

Before I began:
P1010898.jpg

P1010900.jpg

After 150 grit:
P1010903.jpg

After 440 grit:
P1010906.jpg

P1010908.jpg

All finished and polished!! What a transformation huh??
P1010909.jpg

P1010913.jpg

P1010911.jpg

Pics of the exhaust installed now...AND the gas tank cover and straps painted! (Did that myself)
DSCN0244.jpg

DSCN0242.jpg

DSCN0245.jpg

DSCN0243.jpg

Next step....the body....I spent 2 hours alone clay-baring every single spec of the car.

These are the products I'll be using! Optimum compound II. Optimum finish. And finally Poorboy's Blackhole.
P1010915.jpg

Before the compound (yahhh...normal, the car look amazing, but the car looks like CRAP realllly close up):
P1010920.jpg

After only one pass:
P1010921.jpg

After the compound only and on to the polishing stage (that's just dust on the car btw):
DSCN0256.jpg

The rear shines too! Still need to put my new 3rd brake light in...I broke the old one on accident haha.
DSCN0257.jpg

And lastly for now...The studs and wheel spacers!

Before:
DSCN0252.jpg

After:
DSCN0253.jpg

Last edited:

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Looks amazing! I've always been too scared to use something like a porta-cable or something similar. Are they difficult to use?

CobraMac

Established Member
Brandon keep up the good work. The Cobra is looking awesome. :beer:

Thanks Eric!! You know how I love clean cars..you saw that when I was staring at yours! haha :rockon:

looking good, how did you like the poorboys glaze?

I haven't tried it yet! It's going on tomorrow so I will let you know...and take pics as well!:beer:

Great work man! :rockon:

Thank you! :banana:

Looks amazing! I've always been too scared to use something like a porta-cable or something similar. Are they difficult to use?

Thanks man! It's soooo easy with a porter cable...it's nothing like an orbital buffer....I can leave the porter cable on one spot for 30 seconds and it won't ruin my paint! They are very easy and veryyyy safe!

Looks great.

Thanks!!:beer:

amazing as always :)

Thanks Brian!! I hope you're still loving your beast :rockon:

Looks like it is turning out great.

Thank you very much!:coolman:

MAD SVT

The guy with the Thing.
Established Member
Ideas stolen so far...

Painting gas tank cover and straps.

Painting inner fenderwell

Keep posting =) "I" keep getting new ideas :thumbsup:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Looks great so far, but I have one big suggestion that I'm surprised a detail freak like you didn't do: paint the rotor hats. Get yourself some POR 15 for the rusty areas or just use regular old barbeque grill paint. It makes it look nicer and you won't get those ugly rust spots when you take off the wheels.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Awsome, I have so much respect for someone that takes such pride in their car and pours so much hard work into it!

Super clean ride..

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
makes me want to get a black one now. you should try higher grit on your catback and really get it shining with some polish on top. it would really look nasty. nice work :thumbsup:

CobraMac

Established Member
Looks great so far, but I have one big suggestion that I'm surprised a detail freak like you didn't do: paint the rotor hats. Get yourself some POR 15 for the rusty areas or just use regular old barbeque grill paint. It makes it look nicer and you won't get those ugly rust spots when you take off the wheels.

I never even thought of that! Thank you for the advice on that. You can get that stuff at like lowes or Home Depot right? And you paint the WHOLE rotor, or just the rusted part?? (After u get the rust off of course). And just get a silver color right??

Awsome, I have so much respect for someone that takes such pride in their car and pours so much hard work into it!

Super clean ride..

Thank you very much! I definitely take a lot of pride in it...I'm young and a ton of my money has gone into it, so I have to keep it immaculate...it would be a waste to let something I've put so much effort into look shitty haha. :beer:

makes me want to get a black one now. you should try higher grit on your catback and really get it shining with some polish on top. it would really look nasty. nice work :thumbsup:

I actually did....went all the way up to 2000 grit...and polished it at the end as well...that's why it's so shiny on the car :banana:

It won't get anywhere near "sleepers" shiny quality though...mine was never cleaned for 3 years (never thought to do it)...I spent 5 hours at least on each pipe, so it's as good as it gets for now lol.

nice, looks alot better.

Thank you!!:beer:

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
Car is looking great bro. I polished the exhaust recently also and your right, it was a freaking chore, but well worth it. I have gotten several compliments from it thus far.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
I never even thought of that! Thank you for the advice on that. You can get that stuff at like lowes or Home Depot right? And you paint the WHOLE rotor, or just the rusted part?? (After u get the rust off of course). And just get a silver color right??

No, just paint the center of the rotor, not where the pad touches. Personally, I would do flat black, because it will just blend into the background behind the wheel. Just grab standard high-temp barbecue grill paint (rated to like 1100 degrees or something ridiculous), or if the centers are very rusty, POR15 will neutralize the rust and provide very good coverage, though it's only rated to 500 or 600 degrees (don't think the brakes will get nearly that hot though).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread