Complancy ?

Superman750

Part-Timer
Established Member
Ok, I got you. I think he was talking about under most circumstances. If a weapon is supposed to be cleared, there shouldn't be a round in the chamber.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Ok, I got you. I think he was talking about under most circumstances. If a weapon is supposed to be cleared, there shouldn't be a round in the chamber.

yah most circumstances. but I have seen more than one pistol carrying clown walk past the clearing barrels without their pistol leaving their holster. As I said earlier the nigerians don't say anything to them. I have said something and actually turned more than one of them in to the Army guys inside the chow hall and they were made to go back out. but how many have gone through without getting stopped or something said to them? There is just no telling. And while I may be a bit paranoid I would rather be a bit paranoid than dead.

ON another subject, What part of Round Rock are you in ?

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Wow, your FOB was amber status? Hell, we weren't even Amber on the COP except for guard duty. Crazy.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Thats awesome, I have some civilain who knows nothing of what I do and have I have done, saying that I am stupid and careless. Here is an idea... instead of talking about the NEGETIVE things about the military...how about you focus on the something POSTITVE. We (military..NOT civilian) hear enough negetivity on the news. You say that you have respect for what we do, but I find it funny that the very first post in this thread..you want to point out our shortcomings and downfalls..even if it is the truth.

He's been their 6 years, he must have noooooo idea what you do :idea::idea::lol:. You need a Valium.

saleensc281

Established Member
He's been their 6 years, he must have noooooo idea what you do :idea::idea::lol:. You need a Valium.

Here is a thought...think BEFORE you post. Have you ever been deployed before..have you seen first hand the dif between civilian and military lifestyles?

When it comes to NDs...the problem is NCO's NOT doing their jobs and making sure proper weapon clearing and handleing procedures are conducted and taught. Everyone clears each other, ie the buddy clearing system...it works. That was the system I implemented with my platoon and I have never had a ND's during my past 4 deployments in my platoon.

Last edited:

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Wow, your FOB was amber status? Hell, we weren't even Amber on the COP except for guard duty. Crazy.

We had a similar rule up on Marez for a brief while. it was Amber in the tower. I never did that, i was always on Red regardless while up in the tower. The last month i was up there about 24 insurgents tried to over run the fob near Stryker gate if anyone has been up there and their was a pretty awesome firefight for a good 45 minutes or so.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Here is a thought...think BEFORE you post. Have you ever been deployed before..have you seen first hand the dif between civilian and military lifestyles?

When it comes to NDs...the problem is NCO's NOT doing their jobs and making sure proper weapon clearing and handleing procedures are conducted and taught. Everyone clears each other, ie the buddy clearing system...it works. That was the system I implemented with my platoon and I have never had a ND's during my past 4 deployments in my platoon.

He was posting his opinion on your "system" of clearing. After said opinion you get offended for some reason because someone doesn't like having a gun pointed at their chest. Unloaded or not. :whine:

saleensc281

Established Member
He was posting his opinion on your "system" of clearing. After said opinion you get offended for some reason because someone doesn't like having a gun pointed at their chest. Unloaded or not. :whine:

It was not on my system of clearing, and I like how you avoided my question. :shrug:

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
It was not on my system of clearing, and I like how you avoided my question. :shrug:

I thought the question was rhetorical :shrug::shrug::shrug:, and yes I have seen the difference between military and civilian lifestyles.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

Actually when on post there is little difference between the military and civilian lifestyles. we eat the same food you do, we use the same shitter and showers when there is no water for you there is no water for us. We have POS nissan trucks that are shared between a dozen people, the Military has suburbans, Pathfinders, and f250s to drive around when they need to. We use the same gym, chapel, and PX. Some of us have our own can, some of us have to double up just like the Military. We fly the same planes to get out of the country you do but it takes us longer to get back to the states because we don't have access to the freedom flights or the charters that the Military uses to get around for R&R.

so tell me there big guy just what is the differences between civilian lifestyles that you seem to have an issue with?

saleensc281

Established Member
I thought the question was rhetorical :shrug::shrug::shrug:, and yes I have seen the difference between military and civilian lifestyles.

Perhaps.....but I doubt it.

Actually when on post there is little difference between the military and civilian lifestyles. we eat the same food you do, we use the same shitter and showers when there is no water for you there is no water for us. We have POS nissan trucks that are shared between a dozen people, the Military has suburbans, Pathfinders, and f250s to drive around when they need to. We use the same gym, chapel, and PX. Some of us have our own can, some of us have to double up just like the Military. We fly the same planes to get out of the country you do but it takes us longer to get back to the states because we don't have access to the freedom flights or the charters that the Military uses to get around for R&R.

so tell me there big guy just what is the differences between civilian lifestyles that you seem to have an issue with?

I dont have an issue with how you guys live, you brought up valid points. Civilian contractors are very much appreciated...some which I think are overpayed...which you may or may not agree with. I think all of us military really appreciate what you guys and gals do for us everyday. I would like to point out although we may share the same amenites....we dont share the same day to day tasks and duties. My biggest pet peeve is having a civilian telling/critizing me how to do my job. The biggest difference I see is that we spend most of our time outside the wire where as most...not all contractors don't. You have your opinion on the holsters...got it. I just dont like some civilian telling me that Im an idiot and retarted for wearing one. The problem is not the holster IMO..its the leadership enforcing clearing procedures. A round could just as easly go off and hurt/kill someone..whether it is a shoulder holster, leg holster, a M16 or M4/ M249 lying on the chow hall floor.

E

2008 SVTP RPS Champ
Established Member
My biggest pet peeve is having a civilian telling/critizing me how to do my job. The biggest difference I see is that we spend most of our time outside the wire where as most...not all contractors don't. You have your opinion on the holsters...got it. I just dont like some civilian telling me that Im an idiot and retarted for wearing one. The problem is not the holster IMO..its the leadership enforcing clearing procedures. A round could just as easly go off and hurt/kill someone..whether it is a shoulder holster, leg holster, a M16 or M4/ M249 lying on the chow hall floor.

ok well i spent most of my time outside the wire while i was in country. and i say they are a safety hazard. from my time in the guard section at 8th and I to iraq i always disliked them. shoulder holsters not only point the weapon directly at someone they also pose retention issues. they are well known for that. the problem isn't the command as most people who carry shoulder holsters are higher ranking snco's and officers. the problem is complacency. yes a weapon on the chow hall floor poses a risk as well when not cleared properly but atleast it's not pointing at someone's face/chest at all times. let's not forget the weapon handling rule of never point my weapon at anything i don't not intend to shoot.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
ok well i spent most of my time outside the wire while i was in country. and i say they are a safety hazard. from my time in the guard section at 8th and I to iraq i always disliked them. shoulder holsters not only point the weapon directly at someone they also pose retention issues. they are well known for that. the problem isn't the command as most people who carry shoulder holsters are higher ranking snco's and officers. the problem is complacency. yes a weapon on the chow hall floor poses a risk as well when not cleared properly but atleast it's not pointing at someone's face/chest at all times. let's not forget the weapon handling rule of never point my weapon at anything i don't not intend to shoot.

Im not following, how does a shoulder holster affect retention?

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Perhaps.....but I doubt it.

I dont have an issue with how you guys live, you brought up valid points. Civilian contractors are very much appreciated...some which I think are overpayed...which you may or may not agree with. I think all of us military really appreciate what you guys and gals do for us everyday. I would like to point out although we may share the same amenites....we dont share the same day to day tasks and duties. My biggest pet peeve is having a civilian telling/critizing me how to do my job. The biggest difference I see is that we spend most of our time outside the wire where as most...not all contractors don't. You have your opinion on the holsters...got it. I just dont like some civilian telling me that Im an idiot and retarted for wearing one. The problem is not the holster IMO..its the leadership enforcing clearing procedures. A round could just as easly go off and hurt/kill someone..whether it is a shoulder holster, leg holster, a M16 or M4/ M249 lying on the chow hall floor.

You can doubt whatever you want, but your still acting like an asshole. I am a fellow service member, so maybe you should show me the same respect as you demand.

That said, thank you for your service and stay safe please. :beer:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I dont have an issue with how you guys live, you brought up valid points.
then I will consider the "have you seen first hand the dif between civilian and military lifestyles" as a poor choice of words on your part. it certainly seemed from that that you do.
Civilian contractors are very much appreciated...
by some. there are those that don't appreciate like the clown that asked me if I was a "fob-it" and failed to follow through on what I told him to do apparently.
some which I think are overpayed...which you may or may not agree with.
actually I do agree that some are overpayed. by simply changing companies I could double my salary for doing the same work. While that would be nice I don't see the point since I have seniority where I am and I like who I work with. but our pay accomplishes a couple of things. 1. it gets us over to do stuff that the Military is understaffed to do and 2. it kind of compensates us for not being able to carry a weapon and shoot back. This is not so much an issue now as it was in the early days. but if we weren't paid well the Military would be hard pressed to get enough people to accomplish the task at hand because civilians would not be willing to go into a war zone. and by the way .. the KBR people are the worst paid in country. and the TCNs are paid less than the Military.
I think all of us military really appreciate what you guys and gals do for us everyday.
I would agree that most probably do "all" however is a stretch LOL
I would like to point out although we may share the same amenites....we dont share the same day to day tasks and duties.
This depends on the job. In my case the Military I work with DO share the same day to day tasks and duties. There are a few things that are different like some of you guys maintain a serious PT schedule and they have formations and shit where we don't but other than that there is not much difference. there are other jobs that both army and civilians also share the same task and duties as well. Now when you talk about daily patrols outside the wire, counter insurgency, and things like that you are 100% correct.
My biggest pet peeve is having a civilian telling/critizing me how to do my job.
who is telling you? I did and do criticize some things that I see wrong and I have a right to voice my opinion. As I said before I think 6 (going on 7) years out there gives me a certain right to do so. My criticism was directed in general terms and while I certainly respect your right to do whatever is within your uniform code that does not mean I am obligated to be comfortable with it or not voice an opinion. As far as I can tell no one in this thread has 'told" you how to do your job.
The biggest difference I see is that we spend most of our time outside the wire where as most...not all contractors don't.
Again YOU and your guys may but this is not true for All. And the disrespect that those that spend most of their time outside the wire show to those that don't is appalling to me as a civilian who watches that crap go down.
You have your opinion on the holsters...got it. I just dont like some civilian telling me that Im an idiot and retarted for wearing one. The problem is not the holster IMO..its the leadership enforcing clearing procedures. A round could just as easly go off and hurt/kill someone..whether it is a shoulder holster, leg holster, a M16 or M4/ M249 lying on the chow hall floor.
yeah this is true but the holster is a choice not a requirement. the other stuff is a requirement and therein lies the difference IN MY OPINION. But again safety procedures all state never point a gun at someone unless you plan or are willing to shoot them. I know the Military teaches the same thing, yet that is exactly what these holsters do in direct contravention to the training and good safety practices. A holster is necessary absolutely, and they all have their drawbacks the obligation IN MY OPINION is to pick the one that has the fewer drawbacks and the less chance of causing serious injury or death.

From the sound of things you are responsible with yours and expect your men to do the same and good on you for that. Knowing that however, will not make me and a number of others, judging from some of the responses in this thread, any more comfortable standing behind you in a chow hall line with your weapon pointed at our chests LOL

saleensc281

Established Member
You can doubt whatever you want, but your still acting like an asshole. I am a fellow service member, so maybe you should show me the same respect as you demand.

That said, thank you for your service and stay safe please. :beer:

I didnt mean any disrespect, however I did not appreciate the vallium comment. Comments like that will cause me to be an asshole. With that said....I am aware of your service and thank you for it.

then I will consider the "have you seen first hand the dif between civilian and military lifestyles" as a poor choice of words on your part. it certainly seemed from that that you do.
by some. there are those that don't appreciate like the clown that asked me if I was a "fob-it" and failed to follow through on what I told him to do apparently.
actually I do agree that some are overpayed. by simply changing companies I could double my salary for doing the same work. While that would be nice I don't see the point since I have seniority where I am and I like who I work with. but our pay accomplishes a couple of things. 1. it gets us over to do stuff that the Military is understaffed to do and 2. it kind of compensates us for not being able to carry a weapon and shoot back. This is not so much an issue now as it was in the early days. but if we weren't paid well the Military would be hard pressed to get enough people to accomplish the task at hand because civilians would not be willing to go into a war zone. and by the way .. the KBR people are the worst paid in country. and the TCNs are paid less than the Military.
I would agree that most probably do "all" however is a stretch LOL
This depends on the job. In my case the Military I work with DO share the same day to day tasks and duties. There are a few things that are different like some of you guys maintain a serious PT schedule and they have formations and shit where we don't but other than that there is not much difference. there are other jobs that both army and civilians also share the same task and duties as well. Now when you talk about daily patrols outside the wire, counter insurgency, and things like that you are 100% correct.
who is telling you? I did and do criticize some things that I see wrong and I have a right to voice my opinion. As I said before I think 6 (going on 7) years out there gives me a certain right to do so. My criticism was directed in general terms and while I certainly respect your right to do whatever is within your uniform code that does not mean I am obligated to be comfortable with it or not voice an opinion. As far as I can tell no one in this thread has 'told" you how to do your job.
Again YOU and your guys may but this is not true for All. And the disrespect that those that spend most of their time outside the wire show to those that don't is appalling to me as a civilian who watches that crap go down.
yeah this is true but the holster is a choice not a requirement. the other stuff is a requirement and therein lies the difference IN MY OPINION. But again safety procedures all state never point a gun at someone unless you plan or are willing to shoot them. I know the Military teaches the same thing, yet that is exactly what these holsters do in direct contravention to the training and good safety practices. A holster is necessary absolutely, and they all have their drawbacks the obligation IN MY OPINION is to pick the one that has the fewer drawbacks and the less chance of causing serious injury or death.

From the sound of things you are responsible with yours and expect your men to do the same and good on you for that. Knowing that however, will not make me and a number of others, judging from some of the responses in this thread, any more comfortable standing behind you in a chow hall line with your weapon pointed at our chests LOL

Like you said man, you have your opinion. I just didnt like being called an idiot and a dumbass when Ive been doing this job for over 12 years...I think I have a pretty good grasp of whats going on and how to do it. As far as the lifestyles...I suppose it depends on where you were at...there was not a lot of contractors going outside the wire. Keep in mind Im excluding the PRT teams, Army Engineer Corp, and etc. I have a deep respect for the truckers..those guys are awesome. You say that all dont appreciate you guys.....maybe not in all aspects..but in some small way they do. I remember in the middle of summer when the generators would go down and the the Chus would be like 114 inside at night. The generator crews would work around the clock to get them fixed.....man was that nice to have the AC come back on. You guys/gals def do a lot for us..although I am puzzled on how a contractor who works at the gym handing out towels makes almost 6 figures a year lol.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have a deep respect for the truckers..those guys are awesome.
dude I would NEVER do that job. esp in the early days ... and they deserve every penny they make for sure. chow hall food just goes in the toilet when the trucks aren't moving LOL
You guys/gals def do a lot for us..although I am puzzled on how a contractor who works at the gym handing out towels makes almost 6 figures a year lol.
yah I will have to agree with this one. have no idea how much they make but I am guessing only the supervisor would me making this. Most of the workers I have seen have been TCNs and they average around 500 a month last I heard.

I will say this my 6 years have given me a whole new appreciation for what the Military does. My father was career I would have been if I could have gotten in. and in spite of the not flushing the toilets, making a huge mess in the sink and not cleaning up after themselves and the sometimes overly arrogant attitudes they are, taken as a whole, a great group of guys that do a tremendous job for too little pay and too little thanks from the asshats that don't have a clue about the realities.

saleensc281

Established Member
dude I would NEVER do that job. esp in the early days ... and they deserve every penny they make for sure. chow hall food just goes in the toilet when the trucks aren't moving LOL
yah I will have to agree with this one. have no idea how much they make but I am guessing only the supervisor would me making this. Most of the workers I have seen have been TCNs and they average around 500 a month last I heard.

I will say this my 6 years have given me a whole new appreciation for what the Military does. My father was career I would have been if I could have gotten in. and in spite of the not flushing the toilets, making a huge mess in the sink and not cleaning up after themselves and the sometimes overly arrogant attitudes they are, taken as a whole, a great group of guys that do a tremendous job for too little pay and too little thanks from the asshats that don't have a clue about the realities.

Yeah I def agree with the mess some soldiers leave in the latrines and other places. Apparently grown men cant clean up after themselves....which if I were them would be embarrassed. Good luck on the move and have a safe trip back over. Hopefully you will get to come back to stateside soon to get your R&R back. Take care man and thanks.

E

2008 SVTP RPS Champ
Established Member
Im not following, how does a shoulder holster affect retention?

most of them have weak snaps and come open on their own with slight jarring. like going down stairs. also most of them the snaps are in a position easy to catch on something and come open that way as well. one of my close friends had to wear one with the billet he was appointed and it would drop out of its holster on an average of 2 times a day.

Users who are viewing this thread