Comparing F150s XL vs XLT and have a question

nate

Established Member
STX package seams the way to go if you don't need all the bells and whistles. I bought a 2014 screw 4x4 w/ 5.5 bed back in 2014. With the rebates was $33xxx. I previously had a 2011 Lariat for work, so I did have most of the options to compare the two. Honestly the STX is just fine for what I do (construction, remodeling, travel trailer towing). The outside is sporty enough with the 20" rims, running boards, painted bumpers, and fog lights. Interior is basic, but so what. I changed out the dash with an xlt that had the lcd screen and added the trailer brake controller. We use it for all our vacation travel too and leave the minivan at home. With the smaller bed, the wife can drive it comfortably. I have a easily removable bed cover so everything stays dry or can stow away if I need to haul bigger items.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
STX package seams the way to go if you don't need all the bells and whistles. I bought a 2014 screw 4x4 w/ 5.5 bed back in 2014. With the rebates was $33xxx. I previously had a 2011 Lariat for work, so I did have most of the options to compare the two. Honestly the STX is just fine for what I do (construction, remodeling, travel trailer towing). The outside is sporty enough with the 20" rims, running boards, painted bumpers, and fog lights. Interior is basic, but so what. I changed out the dash with an xlt that had the lcd screen and added the trailer brake controller. We use it for all our vacation travel too and leave the minivan at home. With the smaller bed, the wife can drive it comfortably. I have a easily removable bed cover so everything stays dry or can stow away if I need to haul bigger items.
Not to jack the thread, but what bed cover? I've been looking at these that come off easy.

nate

Established Member
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007WJQ6K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works very well and has proven durable. I have been pleasantly surprised it has lasted as long as it has with all the hard use it has taken. Attaches with 4 clamps that lock down on the bed rail. Once you get the hang of getting it lined up, you can take off in about 30 seconds and reinstall in about 2 minutes. Plus it can fold up into a 1/3rd size and clip together while installed so you don't have to remove for hauling longer material.

jconnor3

Established Member
I say go for at-least the extended cab, but I will say what I hate most about my truck is the extended cab. Not the cab itself, but the god-forsaken half door that has the internal handle that only opens when you have the front door open. I hate it so much if I can't afford a full 4 door truck in the near future, i'm switching brands so that the shorty door has it's own exterior handle.

Nothing is more frustrating when you have your hands full and someone is parked beside you or when you have a passenger that has to ride back there and someone is parked by you. Even worse is trying to get my daughter back there and into her car seat if there is a car beside us.

I think just about every other major truck brand has the handle on the exterior now. I can't for the life of me figure out why Ford still builds their trucks with the interior handle for the shorty door.

Coiled03

Established Member
I say go for at-least the extended cab, but I will say what I hate most about my truck is the extended cab. Not the cab itself, but the god-forsaken half door that has the internal handle that only opens when you have the front door open. I hate it so much if I can't afford a full 4 door truck in the near future, i'm switching brands so that the shorty door has it's own exterior handle.

Nothing is more frustrating when you have your hands full and someone is parked beside you or when you have a passenger that has to ride back there and someone is parked by you. Even worse is trying to get my daughter back there and into her car seat if there is a car beside us.

I think just about every other major truck brand has the handle on the exterior now. I can't for the life of me figure out why Ford still builds their trucks with the interior handle for the shorty door.

This X65000.

It's why I try to always leave an open spot next to me when I park. Next truck I buy will be a full 4-door, or I won't buy a truck at all.

nate

Established Member
How hard was the dash swap? All the wiring there already for the lcd screen?
Just swapped the dash cluster, not the navigation if that is what you were wondering. Bought the cluster off Ebay for about $120. You also need to get the correct steering wheel buttons that have the arrows. I think it was about $30. Then bought the trailer brake controller (not a must have to complete, but I wanted a factory option to control my trailer brakes.) Swap took about 30 minutes. Everything plugged right in. Only tricky part is pulling the airbag, which is very easy and requires no special tools.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
My last truck was an ext cab silverado and i loved the 180 degree door. My current sierra has the half door and it makes it so much harder to squeeze things in the space behind the seat. I used to pull the seat up and swing the door all the way and load up.

Users who are viewing this thread