Color Feedback on Torch Red

R1Lello

Established Member
Well, if any of you recall any of my messages and judging by my Avatar, I was really set on Torch Red. Ever since the concept car and even my avatar from the Toronto Auto show I've been set on red. Problem is I've seen so many shades of red. I've asked so many times what the actual concept red was called but never received an answer. I've also seen so many cars in mags look beautiful after reading the articles that the color was Torch Red (do they touch up photos before the mag is published???)

Anyways, after a few sleepless nights preparing if the call ever came on 'what color would I pick'? I have always been down to two........black or Torch red. I've decided tonight it's no longer torch red.
I decided to visit a couple of dealers. Last night at dealer # 1.......no torch red in sight. Tonight I went to Erinwood Ford (a'la our member 07 Shelby) and with several GT's and v6's in the front, there were 2 Torch Red GT's as confirmed by the window sticker .

Today I'm sad and disappointed...........and convinced. Convinced that Torch red is def'ly not the concept red nor the red in my photos that I took in our Toronto Show in February ( my avatar and 3 photos on my site at www.ultimatemustangs.org).

I always wondered how much lighting can affect this color??? Actually more than I thought. The reps at the dealer must have thought I was a nut watching me circle these two cars a dozen times :burnout: , but in the end, I wasn't happy. It's just not bright or brilliant enough........and in direct sunlight almost a bit orangy in color. I only wish it was a beautiful red like the Vipers.........but it's not. This post is not to insult anyone that has it, or planning to order.............just letting my views be heard.

So now..........black again with tungsten (but really wanted silver stripes) ...........or white/blue stripes.......................???? .........more sleepless nights...................

Last edited:

mrGT

Established Member
The concept Shelby color, according to the documents released at that time, was called "SVT Red". (It is a more brilliant red) I, too, was set on a red Shelby...and I, too, went down to the local dealer to see a Torch Red mustang up close and personal. Now my Shelby will be a Performance White with painted Crimson stripes.

~

Last edited:

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
Goodby To Svt.....

I agree with you on the color and everything else about the new car.....This car is the result of a lack of interest at Ford about this car.......Everything done was a shortcut, instead of doing things with enthusiasm....After Colletti left, SVT turned to S--T....The concept was watered down into a parts-bin Shelby, created by parts and colors that were already in Ford's inventory......No terrific Shelby logo on the rear decklid---let's use the standard deck , and make a half-ass Shelby logo off to the side of the stripes. Instead of a great hood-concept or something akin to the 67 Shelby hood, let's do something "easier and cheaper".....Instead of painted mirrors like the Terminator, let's not bother, and just use the cheap-ass mirrors that we have on the rest of the Mustang line.....Instead of creating some great new colors, lets just use the same Mustang colors, and add a few others (Alloy is a Aviator color)....Instead of offering the range of interior options like we have in the past, let's just use black, or black with crimson......What I am trying to say is the death of SVT isn't April 1st, 2006, it died over 2 years ago...with the passing of a enthusiastic management team, that may never be seen again at Ford.....Goodby SVT, thanks for your efforts to "rock the boat" at Ford.........Hooray for the guys at SRT......and good luck.......

VNMOUS1

Established Member
R1Lello said:
Well, if any of you recall any of my messages and judging by my Avatar, I was really set on Torch Red. Ever since the concept car and even my avatar from the Toronto Auto show I've been set on red. Problem is I've seen so many shades of red. I've asked so many times what the actual concept red was called but never received an answer. I've also seen so many cars in mags look beautiful after reading the articles that the color was Torch Red (do they touch up photos before the mag is published???)

Anyways, after a few sleepless nights preparing if the call ever came on 'what color would I pick'? I have always been down to two........black or Torch red. I've decided tonight it's no longer torch red.
I decided to visit a couple of dealers. Last night at dealer # 1.......no torch red in sight. Tonight I went to Erinwood Ford (a'la our member 07 Shelby) and with several GT's and v6's in the front, there were 2 Torch Red GT's as confirmed by the window sticker .

Today I'm sad and disappointed...........and convinced. Convinced that Torch red is def'ly not the concept red nor the red in my photos that I took in our Toronto Show in February ( my avatar and 3 photos on my site at www.ultimatemustangs.org).

I always wondered how much lighting can affect this color??? Actually more than I thought. The reps at the dealer must have thought I was a nut watching me circle these two cars a dozen times :burnout: , but in the end, I wasn't happy. It's just not bright or brilliant enough........and in direct sunlight almost a bit orangy in color. I only wish it was a beautiful red like the Vipers.........but it's not. This post is not to insult anyone that has it, or planning to order.............just letting my views be heard.

So now..........black again with tungsten (but really wanted silver stripes) ...........or white/blue stripes.......................???? .........more sleepless nights...................

Torch red is almost identical to the Torch red I had on a 2003 Corvette. You're exactly right, it, like all colors change with different lighting. Whether it's a magazine layout, Ford's website, or you circling a car....at the end of the day you did the best thing to see what it looks like. It's not like Car and Driver shows up with their Kodak Brownie (Christ, I'm old!) and snaps off a few shots. Optimal lighting is always a goal...and optimal changes depending on the mood of the text. (I'm a marketing guy)

My 'Vette did, in fact, have a bit of an orange-ish tint in bright light. But, in normal light, nothing looks hotter than red (Just ask a cop). I ordered mine in red with white stripes (coupe) and the all charcoal interior. I wrestled with that and white w/blue. My wife and I drew straws, picked numbers and generally drove ourselves nuts looking at side by side pix. In the end, I asked myself one question that gave this situation clarity.

"Will I ever be standing next to my red Shelby, with people admiring it, while thinking 'Damn I wish I'd got a white one'?" The answer was no. I asked it the other way around and realized I might be wishing I'd bought red. It was just that simple.

Do what your heart and first impression tells you to do. You will rarely make the right decision when you overthink it.

Enjoy,

bj :coolman:

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
Check out the Color polls 1 & 2 in this forum and it will give you an idea of what people think about the Shelby color schemes.

So far...here are the top 5 combos in order of popularity...

1. White w/ blue stripes
2. Torch Red w/ white stripes
3. Blue w/ white stripes
4. Black w/ stripe delete
5. Black w/ Tungsten

R1Lello

Established Member
FLYVNE04 said:
Torch red is almost identical to the Torch red I had on a 2003 Corvette. You're exactly right, it, like all colors change with different lighting. Whether it's a magazine layout, Ford's website, or you circling a car....at the end of the day you did the best thing to see what it looks like. It's not like Car and Driver shows up with their Kodak Brownie (Christ, I'm old!) and snaps off a few shots. Optimal lighting is always a goal...and optimal changes depending on the mood of the text. (I'm a marketing guy)

My 'Vette did, in fact, have a bit of an orange-ish tint in bright light. But, in normal light, nothing looks hotter than red (Just ask a cop). I ordered mine in red with white stripes (coupe) and the all charcoal interior. I wrestled with that and white w/blue. My wife and I drew straws, picked numbers and generally drove ourselves nuts looking at side by side pix. In the end, I asked myself one question that gave this situation clarity.

"Will I ever be standing next to my red Shelby, with people admiring it, while thinking 'Damn I wish I'd got a white one'?" The answer was no. I asked it the other way around and realized I might be wishing I'd bought red. It was just that simple.

Do what your heart and first impression tells you to do. You will rarely make the right decision when you overthink it.

Enjoy,

Agree. I had black, relize it's a lot of work but hey..........it will be more of a toy than a daily driver and I keep all my toys spotless. At the end of the day, I cán't go wrong with black........maybe the stripes which I can change by buying the silver from Ford and changing out the following year but black still is nice. Now I need to ask myself the same about white. But as for the red, I said it from day one back in March...........red is nice but 'it has to be the perfect red'. To me the Viper red or this so called 'SVT red' is perfect but not Torch. I've been driving my wife crazy with all this red talk since then. I guess if I'm questioning this Torch Red, maybe I'm answering my own question and it's telling me it's not the perfect choice and I'd regret it.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Snakebite said:
Check out the Color polls 1 & 2 in this forum and it will give you an idea of what people think about the Shelby color schemes.

So far...here are the top 5 combos in order of popularity...

1. White w/ blue stripes
2. Torch Red w/ white stripes
3. Blue w/ white stripes
4. Black w/ stripe delete
5. Black w/ Tungsten

Which will, no doubt, become the order of resale value should you some day be forced to part with your prized posession.

bj

R1Lello

Established Member
FLYVNE04 said:

Enjoy,

............also, I read an article that Chevy's red is identical or close to Fords...............funny, just went to a custom car show on the weekend and some stock manufacture cars were there...........a new red z06 and the new srt Viper...........both in red. No comparison, the Viper red was gorgeous and stood out like crazy.........absolutely beautiful and had white stripes too. Red Z06.........nice but not super nice........same gut feeling as the Ford Red. If I do get an 07 this year.......if the phone call comes but come 2008 they offer a nicer red, I'll be pissed.

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
R1Lello said:
............also, I read an article that Chevy's red is identical or close to Fords...............funny, just went to a custom car show on the weekend and some stock manufacture cars were there...........a new red z06 and the new srt Viper...........both in red. No comparison, the Viper red was gorgeous and stood out like crazy.........absolutely beautiful and had white stripes too. Red Z06.........nice but not super nice........same gut feeling as the Ford Red. If I do get an 07 this year.......if the phone call comes but come 2008 they offer a nicer red, I'll be pissed.

If you get black, why not go stripe-less and add gold for a GT350H look? OK, maybe not. It may end up looking more "Smokey and the Bandit".

bj

R1Lello

Established Member
FLYVNE04 said:
If you get black, why not go stripe-less and add gold for a GT350H look? OK, maybe not. It may end up looking more "Smokey and the Bandit".

bj

NO GM/Pontiac combo for me. Thought about no stripes but it's a Shelby.......needs stripes so figure if I go black, I can live with white or tungsten stripes for a season until the silver vinyl stripes are are available thru Ford as I don't assume they will be right away after release of the car.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
isint the tungsten stripe pretty much silver?? I would think black with this darker silver stripes would look really good.
What stripes are offered with black?
My only options for color combos is either black with some sort of silver stripes or silver with black stripes which for some reason is not available?

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
Wow, I thougt that I was the only one going through this dilemma. When I first saw the red at the show and in mag's I knew that was the color I had to have. But they watered it down. It for sure is not the color first shown. Now I'm thinking...
1.) Tungsten w/painted on darker met. gray stripes
2.) Grabber Orange w/white or silver
This will gag some of you but what I think would be really cool would be this, and I have a reason.(retro)
The first time I ever sat in a Shelby was 1969. I was 9 yrs old and the car was a 1969 Shelby GT500 vert. I will never forget this car. It was orange with white stripes on the side. But here is the kicker. The interior was white. The seats anyway. It is a good thing they were white, or I would have had to pay the guy to get the spots off his seat! I also sat in a 1969 Boss 429 which by the way I was trying to talk my dad into buying. He ended up buying a piece of shit 1970 Mustang with a 6cyl. Anyway this 69 Boss was Blue w/black hood, and white interior. Ugly but cool! :xpl:
So for personal reasons I wish we had the option of a white interior. Ugly but cool!
It does not matter now as my dealer just screwed me out of my #1 spot. Like everyone else on this site he announced that I could keep my spot for an extra $10,000. I guess I will end up taking whatever someone wants to sell me down the road. The dream is dead! :whine:

Last edited:

R1Lello

Established Member
:burnout:

Well............visit # 3 today to Erinwood Ford. Took my wife and son today. Torch Red is out for sure........... They had a Vista Blue and another Vista Blue with white vinyl they put on, a Tungsten GT next to a Black GT, the same two reds, and another Black GT with lower rocker white stripe only. I'm now down to black with white stripes (in my opinion looks good.......better than Tungsten stripes) or the popular White with Vista Blue stripes.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
R1Lello said:
:burnout:

Well............visit # 3 today to Erinwood Ford. Took my wife and son today. Torch Red is out for sure........... They had a Vista Blue and another Vista Blue with white vinyl they put on, a Tungsten GT next to a Black GT, the same two reds, and another Black GT with lower rocker white stripe only. I'm now down to black with white stripes (in my opinion looks good.......better than Tungsten stripes) or the popular White with Vista Blue stripes.

You're killin' me here :rolling:

Keep this up and I'm gonna cancel my order and re-order something like fuscia.

bj

R1Lello

Established Member
chuckstang said:
can I see a black 05+ mustang with tungsten stripes??? please
:)

I used my imagination as both were side by side. A recent MM&FF mag had a modified black GT with white stripes............a bit too thin on the striping but looked good.

R1Lello

Established Member
FLYVNE04 said:
You're killin' me here :rolling:

Keep this up and I'm gonna cancel my order and re-order something like fuscia.

bj

:-D Sorry..........but this is a big decision........I plan to keep this car a long time if it's good to me.............always cost $$ to keep buying and selling toys so I need to stop doing that

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
I cant believe that the red that was shown on the concept is not being offerd on the final car.. It was the only color originally shown!! WTF?

What a let down.

Footman

Torch Red

I own a 03 torch red mach 1 and this color is beautiful on the car. I show the car regularly and the car always gets an award. In fact I won 1st place at the MCA grand national show in Youngstown, Ohio. If you want a car that is a show winner order torch red I did.
Foot man

Users who are viewing this thread