"Cold" weather battery question

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
I don't **** around when it comes to batteries...can't afford to up here. I've found the Motorcraft batteries to be the best and I have 'em in everything. The ones I have are 36 month free replacement and then prorated after that. The Excursion is hard on batteries and I've had more than one replaced for nada, zip, zero.

Ditto. I can attest to Motorcraft's reliability and long lasting batteries. I JUST changed my original battery in the Cobra, lasted 14 years. Can't really complain about that.

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
Ditto. I can attest to Motorcraft's reliability and long lasting batteries. I JUST changed my original battery in the Cobra, lasted 14 years. Can't really complain about that.

Same here. Swapped out the original Motorcraft this past spring on my 04 with another one.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
To answer your original questions... battery voltage should not be affected day to day in the temps you stated unless the battery is starting to fail. However, the ability to be able to provide a given amperage is diminished as the temperature drops, even with a healthy battery.

Additionally, buy a $10 volt meter and test the battery at the posts... 12.5- 12.8 will be average. Anything less than 11 after 24 hours or less indicates an issue and you may have trouble starting the vehicle. Anything less than 10 volts and you can almost completely forget it.

The normal operating temperature range for a lead acid battery is from -4 degrees to + 122 degrees. Once you get below -4 degrees the molecules won't be excited enough to produce the energy needed to start the vehicle on a consistent basis. Over 122 degrees, the ability to deliver current is also affected due to the molecules being over-excited due to heat. As you start to draw more electricity the heat goes up to a point where it's destructive to the battery.

As long as you have a battery with the appropriate CCA rating, you should be fine with your particular vehicle as long as the battery is healthy and inside the normal operating range.

MFE

Established Member
Every car battery you can buy under any given brand name is manufactured by one of a small handful of companies. Like two, in the case of traditiona lead-acid batteries. Just like a Cadillac and a Cobalt came from the same company, they are each capable of greatness, or crap, depending on the sub-brand or purchasing brand's requirement are for cost vs performance. Personally, I go for the best CCA and the best warranty I can find in the case size that fit. CCA ownz all when it comes to....wait for it...Cold Cranking Amperage. That's what cranks that engine when it's cold.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Turns out it's not quite as cold as predicted this morning. Just 19F.

Plugged in the voltmeter and it said 11.8 volts on the battery before cranking. It cranked up the little four banger no problem. Once cranked the alternator is putting out 15. I let it run a minute or two then shut it off. Battery volts then read 12.5.

Vehicle only has 12k miles but was bought new summer of 2014. So the question is, is this the nature of the beast, or do I replace?

Edit: Just as comparison, I plugged in the voltmeter to the Ranger V6 sitting beside it all night. 12.5 volts.

Last edited:

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
To answer your original questions... battery voltage should not be affected day to day in the temps you stated unless the battery is starting to fail. However, the ability to be able to provide a given amperage is diminished as the temperature drops, even with a healthy battery.

Additionally, buy a $10 volt meter and test the battery at the posts... 12.5- 12.8 will be average. Anything less than 11 after 24 hours or less indicates an issue and you may have trouble starting the vehicle. Anything less than 10 volts and you can almost completely forget it.

The normal operating temperature range for a lead acid battery is from -4 degrees to + 122 degrees. Once you get below -4 degrees the molecules won't be excited enough to produce the energy needed to start the vehicle on a consistent basis. Over 122 degrees, the ability to deliver current is also affected due to the molecules being over-excited due to heat. As you start to draw more electricity the heat goes up to a point where it's destructive to the battery.

As long as you have a battery with the appropriate CCA rating, you should be fine with your particular vehicle as long as the battery is healthy and inside the normal operating range.

Finally...someone said it. Battery should read about 12.6 volts with the car off...and approx. 14.2 with the motor running. With the motor off, much less than 12.6 your battery is on its way out. Motor running...much less than 14.2 and your alternator is on its way out.

Advance Auto had w nice 25% off online coupon over the weekend...saved me almost $40 on the battery I had to buy for my 2004 F150. Only the 3rd battery ever in that truck. 7+ Years is pretty good IMO.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll swap vehicles with the missus in the morning and get on with swapping for a new battery.
3.5 years and 12k miles out of the OEM battery. Ugh.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll swap vehicles with the missus in the morning and get on with swapping for a new battery.
3.5 years and 12k miles out of the OEM battery. Ugh.
Like I said, we only get 3 years out of them because of the heat I guess. Cobra is much longer because it's inside all the time and rarely gets driven.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Like I said, we only get 3 years out of them because of the heat I guess. Cobra is much longer because it's inside all the time and rarely gets driven.
This Escape sat in a closed garage and was only driven once every week or two for three years until four months ago when we bought it from the MIL. I'm just glad I can replace it before it leaves the missus stranded in this arctic blast we're having.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
I concur with the comments on battery beginning to fail. 15 volts after start-up=too much. The last thing you want is a stranded wife when it's in the low 30's...of course I'm not telling you anything you didn't already know. ;)

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
It's 16 out now. They are gonna hate me when I tell them I want them to install a battery in the AutoZone parking lot. Guess it could be worse. Could be Wisconsin.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
That’s interesting, learn something everyday. Would an optima last longer than a standard lead battery? Or does the heat kill those as well?

Users who are viewing this thread