"Cold" weather battery question

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
And by cold, I just mean 15 degrees, not forty below like some of you guys, who have my undying condolences.

Wife has a 2014 Escape that was her mom's with only 12K on the clock and the factory battery. It has turned over just a tad slow the past two mornings. I'm gonna check the battery voltage in the morning with one of those $9 gauges plugged into the cig lighter.

What should I be looking for in the way of battery voltage on a "cold" morning? Would it register different than when it's say 50-80 degrees F?

I had to replace a two year old battery in one of my kid's 2015 Elantra recently, so I guess it's not out of the question.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
You might be over reacting when it comes to a new battery. It is frigid and being as cold as a witches titty will effect a new battery just as it will a older battery.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
About half of your battery capacity is lost at zero degrees vs 77 degrees. About 30% is lost at 32 degrees.

Some newer cars are spec'd with smaller batteries to save weight which directly affects reserve capacity. It's not uncommon for a new car to have trouble first thing in the morning. It should still start fine however.

As long as it turns out, you'll be fine. A slow start is normal for most vehicles when it's 15 degrees. You have a problem when it hesitates when turning over.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Thanks guys. I look after three generations of OETKB family vehicles and like to head problems off at the pass, especially when it's colder than moose snot outside.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
I don't **** around when it comes to batteries...can't afford to up here. I've found the Motorcraft batteries to be the best and I have 'em in everything. The ones I have are 36 month free replacement and then prorated after that. The Excursion is hard on batteries and I've had more than one replaced for nada, zip, zero.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
As stated above, cold temps diminish battery performance. Make sure the vehicle uses synthetic oil, of the appropriate lightest possible weight, that will help a lot.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I don't **** around when it comes to batteries...can't afford to up here. I've found the Motorcraft batteries to be the best and I have 'em in everything. The ones I have are 36 month free replacement and then prorated after that. The Excursion is hard on batteries and I've had more than one replaced for nada, zip, zero.
Autozone is the same, made by Johnson controls.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Same as WalMart with their EverStart Maxx, I put one of them in the Cobra last year. Just went out and checked with the volt meter, 55 degrees in garage 12.84 volts with + post off. Last time I drove it 7 days ago, disconnected since then.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
When you buy a replacement battery, find one with the largest CCA rating you can. That should help improve starting performance in cold weather conditions.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Same as WalMart with their EverStart Maxx, I put one of them in the Cobra last year. Just went out and checked with the volt meter, 55 degrees in garage 12.84 volts with + post off. Last time I drove it 7 days ago, disconnected since then.
I didn’t know that, thanks.

CSCOBRA03

Established Member

I worked as a Ford tech for 47 years and also had a friend that worked for Johnson Controls as a engineer. While it's true that Ford or should I say Motorcraft batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls, Ford has the most demanding specifications and the highest quality standards of any batteries made by Johnson Controls

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I also noticed in the last year Auto Zone has raised their Duralast battery prices $20-$25 across the board. They used to be my go to place but last time I went they were close to $140 for our cars, I switched to the EverStart Maxx.

VegasMichael

Established Member
If it's a 2014 that means the battery has been in there since 2013 when the vehicle rolled off the production line. My battery just went in my 2014 Explorer last November. Bought a Duralast.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I also noticed in the last year Auto Zone has raised their Duralast battery prices $20-$25 across the board. They used to be my go to place but last time I went they were close to $140 for our cars, I switched to the EverStart Maxx.
Batteries in general have got expensive.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Supposed to be 13 here in the AM. I have to warm up the car for my wife outside anyway, so I'll check battery voltage first and post up in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread