Cold Flow performance - Amsoil vs. Pennzoil

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Here is Motorcraft 5W-20 vs. Amsoil Signature 5W-20

Simply no comparison

[youtube_browser]KaKMuTLfCeo[/youtube_browser]

Some of you say, "It doesn't get that cold here, so it's not that big of deal." *Please note, this test was at 15*F

Incorrect, it is that big of deal. When your engine is cold, no matter the temperature, Amsoil is always going to be less viscous (easier flowing, better protection). You've all heard the claims from big oil companies about "better/best cold start protection". Well, I'm here to tell you it's not the best possible and was all marketing bullsnot! After watching this video, which lubricant do YOU think will better protect the engine on initial cold start up? I already know the answer to this. The "ketchup sqeezing" method had to be used on Motorcraft for improving flow.

Those of you driving your Ford in frigid temps daily, using Motorcraft 5W-20, you could be doing much better....prolonging engine life.

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Good stuff. Thanks, UB! :beer:

Motocraft's sacred "WSS-M2C931-B" spec notwithstanding, this and UOA results make the choice pretty obvious. I'll be "taking my chances" at the next engine oil change, when I complete my car's conversion to Amsoil lubricants...

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Here is a test of Mobil 1's best formulation "Extended Performance" 5W-30 vs. Amsoil Signature 5W-30. This was a much closer race, however, you can see Amsoil still has the advantage with their PAO\Ester formulation, as it offers the best cold flow performance in the industry.

Please note, a hole was drilled into the top of both bottles for better air flow that would allow for a better pour. Also note both bottles have a wide neck.

[youtube_browser]fJyfRGljTRI[/youtube_browser]

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
I would like to have tried this with it closer to zero degrees. I have a feeling it would not have been quite as close. But I already have enough mis matched oils to do a couple oil changed. So I do not plan on redoing that one. Lol. We were talking about dry ice... We are above freezing today and going to stay that way for about a week. I have a couple more bottles in my freezer, I turned it to the coldest setting. We will see how that goes.

Last edited:

Stang Lover

Established Member
Just bought some Ams oil 5w30 syn for 6.65/qt at my local performance shop :banana:. I haven't used amsoil since the first time I used it b/c the guy I bought it from would nickle and dime you for everything.

5.0Flareside

Established Member
Just bought some Ams oil 5w30 syn for 6.65/qt at my local performance shop :banana:. I haven't used amsoil since the first time I used it b/c the guy I bought it from would nickle and dime you for everything.

which Amsoil? couldn't be signature series as I can't even get it that cheap..

Stang Lover

Established Member
I'd have to check next time I go in there. They had grey and black bottles for oil though if that helps. I don't believe it was OE though I don't remember seeing that on there but I could be wrong. What's the difference in their series of oil?

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

Established Member
OE is the base offering. G-III hydrocrack oil.
XL Is midrange. G-III/G-IV blend
signature series is G-IV and is our top passenger car oil

Users who are viewing this thread