Cold Flow performance - Amsoil vs. Pennzoil

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Afternoon everyone, this is the difference between a top tier true synthetic and cheap petroleum lubricants. If you are using cheap base oils, this is what your engine has to struggle with while you cold start it during this artic front currently in the US. Some states are seeing -45*F and colder at night.

Amsoil ASL 5W-30 vs. Pennzoil yellow bottle 5W-30.

[youtube_browser]B0UyKVxcB2E[/youtube_browser]

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 vs. Cheap Dollar Store 10W-40 - In this vid, looks like both bottles warmed up inside a bit before pouring. However, both are at the exact same near zero temp.

[youtube_browser]dhs5rllzg8E[/youtube_browser]

If you daily drive your car in the extreme temperatures currently up north, I would not use cheap lubricants. Thanks goes out to Jody "ShadyNinja" for the experiment during the artic front.

Also note, after you watch these videos, why even a true synthetic 10W-30 will flow as good or better in the cold as cheaper petroleum 5W-30 or off the shelf 5W-30 lubricants. The cheap 10W-40 (Dollar Store) was meant to be used in testing with Rotella and Amsoil 15W-40, not exactly compared to Amsoil ATM 10W-30. Keep that in mind.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Amsoil AME 15W-40 Diesel Oil versus Rotella T 15W-40. Amsoil was put into an old Pennzoil bottle because someone commented it wasn't fair Amsoil had a larger bottle opening, and was altering results. Well, they were wrong. Results are the same, even with the smaller bottle opening.

[youtube_browser]X4cQFS9YKO8[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]Fs0GTpiEUqU[/youtube_browser]

I've been telling people for years, there is simply no comparison between true synthetics and cheaper hydrocracked petroleum or group II dino lubricants.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
In the parking lot leaving work after dark, so many cars had sluggish starters trying to turn over in molasses (cheap lube at very cold temps).

My car started up normally.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Amsoil MTG 75W-90 transmission lube. Even at -10*F, still moves around freely, and this formulation is very viscous at normal operating temps. You can see ice on the outside of the bottle.

[youtube_browser]5J_9BlDEcHU[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
I "Approve " of this post :)

It's so cold here the electric start for the snowblower would not work, but I got it started with the pull cord.

712D7524-E74C-40EF-9ABE-D2986473F1AC.jpg

BTW troy it was -10 the other day when I pulled that box of gear lube out of my trunk. look at the ice on the bottle.

That is what gave me the Idea to make the other videos.

Last edited:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
Sid. Troy the person (beast ). Not Troy the city. I am from the Chicago area. And. Yep. It's still -10 today. It is suppose to warm up to 14 tomorrow. Who hoo heat wave.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Would like to see the same test beween Amsoil and Rotella 5-40Synth or the Ams. vs Penz. Ultra.

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
Would like to see the same test beween Amsoil and Rotella 5-40Synth or the Ams. vs Penz. Ultra.

You have a freezer go try :)

BTW we were looking at #'s looks like Mobil 1 EP will not do that well :rolling:

Troy make room in your freezer

Adam03GT

Established Member
-15 is pretty extreme. At what temperature would you say that this begins to be a problem? I understand Amsoil is better, however I use mobil 1 simply because it is so much easier to run down to the store and pick up vs finding a vendor etc.

BLK93GT

Established Member
It has been real cold here in upstate NY, -19 before wind chill last week! I need to do an oil change in the BMW, it has the 5w40 Castrol Syntec now, may go back to the M! 0w40 not sure yet.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
You have a freezer go try :)

My freezer doesn't go that cold :p

We typically don't get below around 25* in my area. This past week we got down to 8 and 12*; which is very very abnormal.

Good luck dealing with that funny white stuff and negative temps. I'd def. find somewhere with a garage and ride a train to work :beer:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
I took the temp of my freezer, it was right at 0.
That would be good enough to get oil to thicken up...

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
Hey beast, I would like to see the same oil test between Amsoil SS 10w40 and Motorcraft synthetic 5w50 which is standard in the 2013-2014 Shelby. I already know that Amsoil is gonna outflow MC but you know there are people here on the forum that swear by MC.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Speaking of Ultra, I just picked up 3 5qt jugs of 5w50 for $27/jug at a Wal-Mart. The bottles were a bit dusty, so it's possible that it had been on the shelf for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread