Coilover question because I don't know.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
If I do a coilover conversion on the front only, what wieght spring do I use? From what I've seen in ads, I'm assuming the spring directly on the damper calls for a different weight spring than acting closer to the arm fulcrum. So my question is what spring weight do I use that will be comparable to the stock front springs? I'd like to retain the current ride without going coilover on the rear as well. I'm also planning on keeping the stock Bilstiens. Thanks in advance.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
The best reason to replace both front and rears is to maintain balance. Call MM tech support and ask them.

racebronco2

Established Member
When i called mm i told them that i also open track the car, they recommended 400lb fronts. I would not go less 350lb for the fronts.

moonltgold

MM told me 350 lbs/front were minimum when I had my n/a '01, so I would have to agree with racebronco2 and say 400 lbs/front for an 03/04.

Bullitt4110

Established Member
racebronco2 said:
When i called mm i told them that i also open track the car, they recommended 400lb fronts. I would not go less 350lb for the fronts.
Thats what they told me. They said 375-400 for the front.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I run the MM kit in the front with 375's I think they might just be a tad soft and think the 400's would be perfect.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
I would run the 400lbs springs up front too. I had the 350lb on my 01 GT & I always wanted just a tad more. Our COBRA'S with the heavier front end would benefit from the 400 a lot...! :beer:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Thanks.. I had a buddy miniaturize it. I have a bunch of pics if you follow the link in the sig.

TRBO VNM

I am going to have to disagree here guys. Sorry.

if you call MM, ask for Chris. I have found there is someone there, not sure who and maybe more than one person, but they are giving different information. Chris is very knowledgeable and he can set you up with the correct rates depending on the plans for the car and your shock/strut setup.

Here is the deal, if you are running stock bilsteins, nobody there at MM should be recommending anything more than 350# for the front. Chris has told me numerous times that the stock struts don't have the dampening capability to last that long if you use a higher rate spring. the terminology might be different, but that is the jist of it. nothing more than 350# on the front with a stock strut.

a friend in our club was told something different and I called Chris and a couple others to confirm and they said he was mis-informed and should not have been told over 350# for a stock strut.

Now, if MM has preformed some additional testing in the past 2 months and Chris recommends greater than 350, fine. I will call them on monday to check this out. (I am a dealer for them, so I talk to them weekly)

If you have some of MM's revalved bilstein struts, then something higher than 350 is fine.

I had the 350 front and 600 rear and felt a lot of the road. it was great for handling, but imo it was too rough.

I changed to 325 front and 550 rear and that felt pretty good compared to stock. much better handling than stock, but helped with weight transfer at the drag strip.

If you are looking for ultimate handling and road racing/autox, then in the 400 range would be good.

Also, keep in mind the spring length. That is really what determines the range of spring rate you should be looking at. a longer spring you will want a lighter rate spring. some for daily driving and drag go with a 14" 250# spring.

Last edited:

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
I have MM coil overs front and rear, with Bilstein Sports, MM caster/camber plates, and MM full-length subframe connectors. The spring (Hypercoil) rates are 450 front and 575 rear. It handles well for such a heavy car. If you're into corners, coil overs front and rear are the way to go.

Bullitt4110

Established Member
When I talked to them and they recommened the 375-400lb springs it was with their Bilsteins, I was talking to them about there grip package.

TRBO VNM

Bullitt4110 said:
When I talked to them and they recommened the 375-400lb springs it was with their Bilsteins, I was talking to them about there grip package.

good deal. that I agree with. some people would assume these rates were good for stock shocks/struts and are only buying the coilovers and not a full suspension package. I just wanted to point out the differences so peopled weren't confused.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Thanks for the additional info. I'm happy with it is and my car is mostly street driven so serious upgrades the suspension aren't necessary. I don't mind the coilover conversion since it's needed to clear possible turbo modifications, but since I mostly only stop light drag race, MAYBE hit the track 5-10 times a year, I'm thinking a stock ride equivalent coilover setup will be fine for me. Does using stock front arms or tubular front arms make a difference in the required rates?

TRBO VNM

Randee of the Redwoods said:
Thanks for the additional info. I'm happy with it is and my car is mostly street driven so serious upgrades the suspension aren't necessary. I don't mind the coilover conversion since it's needed to clear possible turbo modifications, but since I mostly only stop light drag race, MAYBE hit the track 5-10 times a year, I'm thinking a stock ride equivalent coilover setup will be fine for me. Does using stock front arms or tubular front arms make a difference in the required rates?

no. what car you have and type of driving/racing is what determines the rates. as well as type of shock/strut as mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread