CaliGT500524

Established Member
Hi all,

I am looking for you opinions on aftermarket Coil on Plugs. From what I have read, everyone seems to split on the aftermarket vs. factory COPs in this particular case. I understand that the stock COPs can support 800+ horsepower, and that they'll do it just fine, but does that necessarily mean that there wont be a benefit at the 600 horsepower range? I mean, that even though the stock COPs can handle the high horsepower stuff, will the more efficient burn, hotter spark and other features not aid in a small power gain, better idle and the consequences of having a more complete burn in the 600hp range? Also, are people really having problems with the aftermarket COPs anymore? Seems like any issues have been addressed in the manufacturer side of things. I think the stock coils are rated at 20kV and the ones I was kind of looking at are in the 40kV range.

Looking forward to what you all think.

fullboogie

Established Member
I'm not aware of any split in opinion on the stock coils - everybody says they are the only thing to use.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
OEM coils produce robust spark and are reliable. You will probably cause more problems to your car going aftermarket. There really isn't any power to unlock via ignition . A competition system is needed for extreme power levels. At that point, youre looking a thousands of dollars of competition standalone ignition systems to fire off obscene amounts of fuel and boost/nitrous.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Also, your choice in spark plug is critical once you up the boost over factory. Firm believer in the NGK TR7ix.

Users who are viewing this thread