Cobra vs Cammed LS1

Boosted_Cobra.

Matta fact...
Established Member
Well my neighbor has been gunning to beat me ever since the first time I layed the smack down on him (Intake and exhaust 00' Z28). Well Heres the break down.

00' Z28 -
Cam (Not sure specs)
LS6 Intake manifold (He had a LS1)
Pacesetter LT's, Catless Midpipe,Slp lm1
Yank 3600 Stall, Trans cooler
UD Pulley
Lid, Smooth Bellow
Tune

03' Cobra Vert -
Bassani O/R X, and Catback
JLT Cai

We do two rolls, one from 50 and one from 60. From the 50 roll I get out on him and beat him by about 1 car or so.

From the 60 roll, he gets out a 1/2 a car or so, I reel him in and still beat him by about 1/2 car at 130.

Woo, this car runs good for being minimally modded.

I also beat a 400+ 97SS - Heads/Cam/Intake ect. - Beat him by about 1.5 cars.

I also ran dead even with a S-Cam full bolt on, m6 LS2 GTO (I had a passenger, he didnt) but he put down 430 or so on motor, he put it on me though when he sprayed on me.

I got a little weight reduction but nothing to vague.

Last edited:

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
thats a good kill for sure, depending on size of the cam he should have beat you. most cam only cars trap 116-117. if it was a real small cam it would probley do 113-114. so if he had a ls6 cam you should win but otherwise i dont see a exhaust only cobra vert beating a cam'd ls1. but anything can happen good kill.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
A cam that big with I am assuming 240+ exhaust duration would put down around 415-420rwhp cam only. I put down right around 400 with the cam in my sig w/o an UDP and a slipping clutch.

Edit..... NVM I just saw he had an auto. Not the best from a roll especially with stock gears.

Last edited:

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
A cam that big with I am assuming 240+ exhaust duration would put down around 415-420rwhp cam only. I put down right around 400 with the cam in my sig w/o an UDP and a slipping clutch.

+1. A cam that size should put down power comparable power to an intake/exhaust Cobra. But in a much heavier vert, I wouldn't think you'd have a chance at all without a Pulley.

But as the saying goes, anything can happen on the street.

Nice kill OP.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
The stall auto was holding him back, but good kill!

Nice to see another vert out there mixing it up! Don't be discouraged by non believers, I hear people tell me all the time vert's can't run with bikes on internet either, but I have proved them wrong a few times now >_<

BayareaSS

Established Member
Nice Kills.

Sounds like all 3 cars you beat should of pulled you. And a cam that big in an ls1 should do a lot better. Without a pulley i wouldn't think you'd be able to beat any of them.

SSSSIKH

I ♥ BOOST
Established Member
+1. A cam that size should put down power comparable power to an intake/exhaust Cobra. But in a much heavier vert, I wouldn't think you'd have a chance at all without a Pulley.

But as the saying goes, anything can happen on the street.

Nice kill OP.

Nice Kills.

Sounds like all 3 cars you beat should of pulled you. And a cam that big in an ls1 should do a lot better. Without a pulley i wouldn't think you'd be able to beat any of them.

+1, what they said!

but its always more fun when you beat a car that you shouldnt! and like pworld said...ANYTHINGGG can happen on the street!

but good kill!! :rockon:

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Not the outcome I would have expected but ok. What gears is the Camaro running? If it has 2.73's I could probably see this happening. If it has 3.23's or higher then maybe he needs a tune?????? Your run with the H/C/I LT1 is not far off but I would have also expected the LS2 goat to pull on you.

The stalled auto comments are totally true, but even so I would think he should have edged you out. Oh well, good kill. You guys should do a rematch from a dig. Id like to know the outcome.

gnxs

Established Member
Nice runs, especially with your very minimal mods. :beer:

Don't know why there are so many non-believers in Cobra Verts, they're only about 100 pounds or so heavier than the coupes.

Nice Kills.

I'm not surprised how the OP fared, all the Stalled/Auto LS1's I've come across have really disappointed me in their performance from a highway roll. Generally speaking, I usually find that they make a better showing running from a dig.

Last edited:

res0n0xg

Established Member

Don't know why there are so many non-believers in Cobra Verts, they're only about 100 pounds or so heavier than the coupes.

I'm not surprised how the OP fared, all the Stalled/Auto LS1's I've come across have really disappointed me in their performance from a highway roll. Generally speaking, I usually find that they make a better showing running from a dig.

I was about to say that! Everyone is like, that "heavy ass vert" and yes I'm biased because I have one. The numbers don't like though, 3780 for the vert and 3664 for the coupe so we're only talking about a little more than 100 lbs or about 1/10th in the quarter mile!

Kingcater

Can't stop modding...
Established Member

Most people dont pick the right converters for their cam/setup....

There are also different converter types to go with [ I'm sure you know this ].
Most F-Body guys run the Yank ss3600-4000 which is a good converter but is more efficient off the line and not as much on the top end.

The PT series is a lot better on the top end. I wonder what kind of stall [ brand ] he has. Also, a 3600 isn't enough stall for the cam that he is running which I think is a factor in you beating him...

Good kills and I'm not trying to take away from your car just stating my opinion.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread