Cobra Jet intake going on stockish auto 5.0!!

Grabberblumaico

Established Member
Just got off the phone with Drew (01bluesnake). I'm feeling way better about driveability. He stated that driveability on his CJ intake is like STOCK after the AED tune, and the whistling is very slight. Will go now to order the intake from Tasca and have it dropped to Drew. Getting excited!! Things are moving quickly.

Well your going to find out how it REALLY performs. Not just at the strip either. I am VERY picky about street manners, and you will not meet anyone who is more brutally honest than me. I will spend all the money and NOT cut any corners and have it tuned by the best in the business. After all the bugs have been worked out as far as possible, the honest results WILL be posted in this thread. It will not be the thread that just disappears without real results being posted. Having said that there will NOT be any dyno numbers posted. So you will see 1/4 mile times/mph and my SOTP feedback on driveability, part throttle response, mpg and every nit-picky little thing I think of as I go!! My obsessive compulsive tendencies will finally serve a purpose!!

I did same exact thing. Spoke with Drew last night, Tasca is drop shipping mine to him also..

goat-ee

Established Member
Just got off the phone with Steve @ Tasca. Drop shipping to 01bluesnake maybe today, worst case tomorrow.

no no no... I am not saying torque loss, I am saying throttle response.

One thing I did not and I thought I could get a way from doing... it is changing the cams.
My setup is on a Boss engine/Boss heads and yes I need to change cams.

Maybe when summer gets here and the corn is in the tank it might change everything.

I am running an AED tune.

My car is not, way far from it and wish you good luck in any other mod then WOT

And Shaun can't do anything more with it? Why would corn make the driveability any better? This is really bothering me now. When I talked to Drew, he said that AED tuned his car and it ran like stock part throttle with no driveability issues. I wonder what is different between yours and his?

Last edited:

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
I wonder what is different between yours and his?
More then likely, personal opinion.

The issue is throttle response, not an issue with the throttle body control. The tune is outstanding for cold start idle, idle, you name it on idle, outstanding. driving, the car does not buck it drives absolutely awesome. I work downtown Denver and have about three miles of stop lights in and out of town I have to deal with and it drives awesome.

Sorry I did not explain this earlier, the throttle response I was saying the car is lacking is when you do give it more throttle, the car travels fine. No bucking, sputter, lagging, all is well. The issue is when you go to, now WOT. Still no bucking, stalling… just some lag, not in throttle opening, the response of the engine speed increase, it takes sometime, no not seconds but there is a delay before you fill the car at hard pull, the car is pulling to that point just not as fast as it did with the Boss intake and BBK 85mm TB. The M-9926-SC is well over “130mm”. it is not designed for shopping trips to the grocery store
That is the drivability of the setup that is not for the street… keep the engine above 4500 RPMs and it is a beast and that is not for the street.
If you want a daily commuting car, keep the GT intake on your GT and be done with it, but not the CJ intake. I have 1 7/8 long tubes, 3’’ h-pipe 3’’ over axle pipes and high flow mufflers on a Boss engine running the factory Boss heads, this intake M-9424-M50CJ with this throttle body M-9926-SC is a 4500+ rpm wide open throttle beast and thats it..
That is my opinion.

Now you are going to throw it in an automatic… you need will need more parts.

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member

I can't argue, because I have no experience, you do. So please keep it coming, I want your honest opinion on everything you can think of. I do have a high stall converter in the back of my mind if I REALLY have to. What are you referring to though as far as parts go?

JohnRichard

Established Member
I can't argue, because I have no experience, you do. So please keep it coming, I want your honest opinion on everything you can think of. I do have a high stall converter in the back of my mind if I REALLY have to. What are you referring to though as far as parts go?

Well I have a manual and I would think one thing for sure, a CAI that is setup for an auto and if you have stock rear gears... I personally would go with 4.30 and a different torque converter but that is a question better answered by say your tuner or someone that has one of these on an auto...

Once you get the NA bug you will want different cams as well... I know I do.
NA is not a cheap setup... example, NHRA pro stock engines cost more than the top fuelers whole car setup.

Last edited:

goat-ee

Established Member
Well I have a manual and I would think one thing for sure, a CAI that is setup for an auto and if you have stock rear gears... I personally would go with 4.30 and a different torque converter but that is a question better answered by say your tuner or someone that has one of these on an auto...

I am buying Revolution Auto's 5" CAI as showed in an earlier post. Is that ok?

Are the 1/4 mile numbers in your sig up to date? If my car can drive like stock and runs even high 11's @ somewhere in the 117-120 mph traps I will be content. And yes, I actually will be content, i'm an old man and know what I want and won't go any further on my daily driver. I have 2 kids I pay for cars on, and another coming in a little over a year. Plus I have a motorcycle habit to pay for, so I do have my limits on this car!!

Last edited:

mattadams6552

Established Member
More then likely, personal opinion.

The issue is throttle response, not an issue with the throttle body control. The tune is outstanding for cold start idle, idle, you name it on idle, outstanding. driving, the car does not buck it drives absolutely awesome. I work downtown Denver and have about three miles of stop lights in and out of town I have to deal with and it drives awesome.

Sorry I did not explain this earlier, the throttle response I was saying the car is lacking is when you do give it more throttle, the car travels fine. No bucking, sputter, lagging, all is well. The issue is when you go to, now WOT. Still no bucking, stalling… just some lag, not in throttle opening, the response of the engine speed increase, it takes sometime, no not seconds but there is a delay before you fill the car at hard pull, the car is pulling to that point just not as fast as it did with the Boss intake and BBK 85mm TB. The M-9926-SC is well over “130mm”. it is not designed for shopping trips to the grocery store
That is the drivability of the setup that is not for the street… keep the engine above 4500 RPMs and it is a beast and that is not for the street.
If you want a daily commuting car, keep the GT intake on your GT and be done with it, but not the CJ intake. I have 1 7/8 long tubes, 3’’ h-pipe 3’’ over axle pipes and high flow mufflers on a Boss engine running the factory Boss heads, this intake M-9424-M50CJ with this throttle body M-9926-SC is a 4500+ rpm wide open throttle beast and thats it..
That is my opinion.

so do you think it would be any better with a 6speed and 373's?

Edit: Sorry. I see you have already answered this.....

Last edited:

orangastang

Established Member

NA is not a cheap setup... example, NHRA pro stock engines cost more than the top fuelers whole car setup.

...do you know the expense in running nitro methane for alil over 4 seconds and keeping the rotating assembly in the block?

JohnRichard

Established Member
Are the 1/4 mile numbers in your sig up to date?

I have seen pictures of it and from what I have read in other post the bigger the MAF the better to a point, once air velocity drops below a certain speed you will have slow speed engine issues as far as bucking and surging... I have read that in a few of the threads about the CJ intake CAI on this forum. I have not read anything bad about the one you are looking at. and I like the paint matching offered as well.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...et-intake-manifold-cai-set-up-interest-9.html

ET time and speed is last years...
i do know revolution auto make their own intakes for the cjs here are some pics of them and some prices , 450 for the intake and if u want it paint to match its a extra 100

...do you know the expense in running nitro methane for alil over 4 seconds and keeping the rotating assembly in the block?
No I don't but, I would think the annual operating budget of a top fuel car would chock an elephant. two million plus?
Read my original post it says nothing about operating cost.

Last edited:

orangastang

Established Member
I have seen pictures of it and from what I have read in other post the bigger the MAF the better to a point, once air velocity drops below a certain speed you will have slow speed engine issues as far as bucking and surging... I have read that in a few of the threads about the CJ intake CAI on this forum. I have not read anything bad about the one you are looking at. and I like the paint matching offered as well.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...et-intake-manifold-cai-set-up-interest-9.html

ET time and speed is last years...

No I don't but, I would think the annual operating budget of a top fuel car would chock an elephant. two million plus?
yep yep and I'm thinking a little more expensive than the prostock annual budget.

chao5.0

Established Member

a pro stock motor cost roughly 60-80k complete, fuel motors are more. when my uncle ran T/A F/C years ago I remember a T/F guy saying it cost them roughly a million to run a weekend providing nothing catastrophic happens that weekend.

N/A setups can be done cheaper than most think provided you know what you want to do and have a realistic goal. if you want pro stock power then you're going to spend big money. for a N/A coyote you will come in around 5500-6k provided you do the work yourself and have it tuned, otherwise if you are paying a shop to do cams, exhaust install, intake install then it will go up very quickly.

I can't give any insight to the CJ setup since I don't have it but I am looking into it and I can deal with the whistle and hesitant throttle response from cruising to WOT because its there now with the stock stuff. if I'm going WOT chances are I'm going to be in the higher rpms and geared down to begin with so I'm not to concerned with the slight hesitation.

Mike Rousch

Established Member

Are the 1/4 mile numbers in your sig up to date? If my car can drive like stock and runs even high 11's @ somewhere in the 117-120 mph traps I will be content. And yes, I actually will be content, i'm an old man and know what I want and won't go any further on my daily driver. I have 2 kids I pay for cars on, and another coming in a little over a year. Plus I have a motorcycle habit to pay for, so I do have my limits on this car!!

Hey man, You will be fine with that set up. I have that intake on my car and in my opinion it drives no different then stock. I am not sure how well it will run at the track with the stock converter though, But in decent air i dont see why you cant achieve your goals!

goat-ee

Established Member
Hey man, You will be fine with that set up. I have that intake on my car and in my opinion it drives no different then stock. I am not sure how well it will run at the track with the stock converter though, But in decent air i dont see why you cant achieve your goals!

Really glad to hear the experiences of everyone that has taken the plunge. Good to hear that your having no issues. I will consider a converter if I don't like the low end, but will try to avoid it if possible.

I will likely let the numbers I see at the strip be my guide, unless it's clear I have no low-end. Heartland Park Topeka (Kansas) opens 03-22-2014. Hope to be there with the car done and ready to roll. Events Calendar & Tickets Or drive further to Mo-Kan Dragway 02-02-2014!!!! http://www.mokandragway.com/schedule/

Last edited:

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
JohnRichard is pretty well known for spreading horse manure for information. He used to trash the setup all together and AED. Now hes running an AED tune. LOL!!!

nordy racer

Established Member

as you can see in my sign my auto is running 11.4's before the CJ intake install, this was with 373 gears getting 25mpg with a Rev Auto tune..

now after Adam installed the CJ, TB and their CAI it picked up 700RPM and 21peak rwhp. I also swapped out the 373's and went with 430's with my new 5c converter.. hopefully the track rental happens in Feb so I can post up a 10 sec slip.

momogt

Established Member
as you can see in my sign my auto is running 11.4's before the CJ intake install, this was with 373 gears getting 25mpg with a Rev Auto tune..

now after Adam installed the CJ, TB and their CAI it picked up 700RPM and 21peak rwhp. I also swapped out the 373's and went with 430's with my new 5c converter.. hopefully the track rental happens in Feb so I can post up a 10 sec slip.

do you have your old converter for sale

Users who are viewing this thread