Cobra Jet Cams or Comp Cams????

Voltwings

Established Member
What you said is exactly what everyone knows already, Im going to drive the shit out of my trans until it breaks and ill just fix it then.

Must be nice to just have $$ laying around, but its a valid argument to make in a "NA power" thread. Sure we can make 500 whp on the motor, but is it at RPMS the transmission will last at, THATS the discussion i want to have. It does seem the Cobrajet intake is a fair bump above the boss, and the comp cams are obviously proving their worth as well, but if its outside of our "safe" rpm range then its kind of a moot argument.

Dont get me wrong, i've had all manner of FI vehicles, and i WANT a badass NA build. I just still have a hard time justifying it in this case, at least without a small shot to really bump it over the edge, but that raises another questions: Why not just do minor bolt ons and a larger shot anyways since the motor can take it... As much as i want an NA build, in order to justify it, you really have to just WANT an NA build...

Yagermeister

Established Member
Voltwings, just swap over or get a 6R80 and you won't have problems shifting at high rpms whatsoever (given the right tuner). If you stay stick then get a MGW, change your clutch fluid, change to a better clutch line, upgrade your clutch and flywheel, remove the secondary helper spring on the clutch pedal and shoot for the moon.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Must be nice to just have $$ laying around, but its a valid argument to make in a "NA power" thread. Sure we can make 500 whp on the motor, but is it at RPMS the transmission will last at, THATS the discussion i want to have. It does seem the Cobrajet intake is a fair bump above the boss, and the comp cams are obviously proving their worth as well, but if its outside of our "safe" rpm range then its kind of a moot argument.

Dont get me wrong, i've had all manner of FI vehicles, and i WANT a badass NA build. I just still have a hard time justifying it in this case, at least without a small shot to really bump it over the edge, but that raises another questions: Why not just do minor bolt ons and a larger shot anyways since the motor can take it... As much as i want an NA build, in order to justify it, you really have to just WANT an NA build...

Wish I had money laying around, Im just lucky I work for ford and know how to fix a car.

Your beating a dead horse. If your that scared to do something to your car then dont put cams and a CJ intake on it.

Voltwings

Established Member
As dead a horse as it may be, i was really hoping for a better argument (or discussion rather) than "deal with it" lol. Turbo it is i guess...

Yagermeister

Established Member
You think you won't have shifting/mt82 issues with a turbo? Stock you should still do the things I mentioned if you have a mt82

Voltwings

Established Member
You think you won't have shifting/mt82 issues with a turbo? Stock you should still do the things I mentioned if you have a mt82

Yes, i agree those things should be done, im well aware of taking car of a manual transmission. As far as making power is concerened, a turbo car can be shifting at sub 7000 rpms and still be making as much if not more power than an NA car winding it out to 8k... The gears arent breaking, the transmission is strong, its the synchros frying causing lock out correct? So, the more power you can make at lower rpms the better (obviously within reason for stock block and traction sake), which is why boost is appealing.

However, as i mentioned, ive built and tuned a hand full boosted cars (other plaforms mind you) and no matter how good a kit is they all have their headaches. Im sure each of us is well aware of the various drawbacks each form of FI has, Which is why i really, really, really, am wanting a badass NA build, but I just really cant justify it at this point. Not calling smoke a liar, but maybe if we start seeing some more data behind his numbers it could seem a lot more appealing.

I'm all for having a discussion as people can shed light from different angles and opinions, but i will not argue with you, nor am i going to willingly grenade my transmission for the sake of NA horsepower...

KalEl370

Established Member
Finally got my car on a dyno. Made 457/381. I'm happy with it. I'll probably go with the CJ intake and 1pc driveshaft in the spring to hopefully get closer to 500hp.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Finally got my car on a dyno. Made 457/381. I'm happy with it. I'll probably go with the CJ intake and 1pc driveshaft in the spring to hopefully get closer to 500hp.

Not too bad, So what was your baseline? How long between baseline and the cam install? Did you install the LTH's then Cams? A little curious as to all your gains and stuff! Thanks :beer:

KalEl370

Established Member
Not too bad, So what was your baseline? How long between baseline and the cam install? Did you install the LTH's then Cams? A little curious as to all your gains and stuff! Thanks :beer:

Don't have a baseline sorry, I added the cams when my engine was rebuilt. I had the valve springs upgraded in the heads and since it was already apart had the shop replace.the stock cams with the comps. Did the LTs at the same time.

CshiznitzJ

Established Member
Don't have a baseline sorry, I added the cams when my engine was rebuilt. I had the valve springs upgraded in the heads and since it was already apart had the shop replace.the stock cams with the comps. Did the LTs at the same time.

boss valve springs?

nordy racer

Established Member
I just dont know if I could ever bring myself to get an auto. If I was going for crazy power then sure. But not n/a bolt on's.

we will see next year on my car.. i just order CJ intake & big TB and i'm about to order Stage 3 cams.. just had my 6r80 fully built with Exedy clutches to handle the up coming power..

69camaro...

Established Member

not to be a vibe killer but guys are making that power with LT's full exhaust, intake, e85. :shrug:

69camaro...

Established Member
I was thinking same thing. Maybe its a mustang dyno?

Would make more sense if it was a mustang dyno. That would be 470ish maybe, which looks and sounds alot more worth the cam swap. Then when he adds corn and CJ, possibly 500whp mark.

Users who are viewing this thread