Cobra Jet Cams or Comp Cams????

corysmach1

Established Member
This thread is great. FTW fuel is awesome just a little pricey for me. I am on E85 now. Most of the numbers above are claimed on FTW so how much can I subtract for E85 numbers?

Deranged2013

Established Member
Yes, keeping it alive. A lot of good info on the stage 3 comp cams here but not much on why the Ford racing Boss/CJ cams are not worth it. I know JPC made gains on the CJ car by switching cams but that was with tuning also. Did they try tuning the car before they swapped cams? Could've gotten similar results with the CJ cams and good tuning. CJ cams vs Comp, both having a good tune, what is the power difference? I ask because the comps only make good power @5500 rpms and up. I would like to see a set of cams that gives good gains throughout the power band with improvement as the rpms get higher.

twistedneck

Established Member
The main differences between the posted numbers on these cams is lift and duration. Cobra jet cams run a much smaller intake duration and a slightly smaller exhaust duration. The centerlines are almost identical. Lift is of course higher on the CJ cams as pointed out in this thread. The unknown is ramp rate and I believe from posters on this board the stage 3 ramp more quickly. Makes sense when you hear the ford engineers say the CJ cams passed their full durability cycle of a regular street car requirement.

I went w boss springs because I'm staying under 7500 and I don't race much except quarter mile here and there. Don't need the extra force and contact stresses on pivots and such.

I would guess boss has more focus on the exhaust breathing for some reason, but I have no idea. My contacts told me "don't believe the fan boys" about the comps vs. their cj cams but I'm also taking that w a grain of salt too. These engines also have a hard limit below 14mm of lift from what I was told by inov8 who work on a v8 supercar coyote development thing.

Short answer I think the CJ has better power band but less peak.

Deranged2013

Established Member
The main differences between the posted numbers on these cams is lift and duration. Cobra jet cams run a much smaller intake duration and a slightly smaller exhaust duration. The centerlines are almost identical. Lift is of course higher on the CJ cams as pointed out in this thread. The unknown is ramp rate and I believe from posters on this board the stage 3 ramp more quickly. Makes sense when you hear the ford engineers say the CJ cams passed their full durability cycle of a regular street car requirement.

I went w boss springs because I'm staying under 7500 and I don't race much except quarter mile here and there. Don't need the extra force and contact stresses on pivots and such.

I would guess boss has more focus on the exhaust breathing for some reason, but I have no idea. My contacts told me "don't believe the fan boys" about the comps vs. their cj cams but I'm also taking that w a grain of salt too. These engines also have a hard limit below 14mm of lift from what I was told by inov8 who work on a v8 supercar coyote development thing.

Thanks for clearing that up. Still would like to see dyno results on the CJ cams vs stock vs comp cams. I've seen a couple on the Comps cams and they start making power above stock numbers @ 5000 rpms and are about 25 less hp and torque on the low end. I think I would rather see 30 to 40 hp gains through out the power band than just top end gains. I like the feel of instant torque and quick throttle response. Just my opinion.

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
When you don't install limiters and have a full 50 degree sweep, you can advance the comp stage 3's so the bottom end is stock or better and the top end is full charge. This being the alternative to having limiters and showing losses below 4500. It's all in the tune.

Yagermeister

Established Member
SmokeGreyHatch, if you were to grind your own NA cam for the CJ intake/SCJ tb/FRPP cai/e85/stock GT heads with Boss springs...what would would your cam card look like?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ford20

Established Member

Can you clarify on what you mean by don't believe the fan boys? Which fan boys, the Comp or the CJ fan boys and don't believe them in what regards?

Also what do you mean by saying that the engines have a hard limit below 14mm of lift?

twistedneck

Established Member
Current head architecture won't allow more than 14mm lift I think its closer to 13.5mm.

My sources don't exactly tell me the whole story so I'm assuming they meant cj cams are not as bad as some results suggest.. Bug no denying the duration is still a baby cam as l&m put it to me..

He is a cam designer.. I'd ask Michael to design and fab you a custom cam.

ford20

Established Member
That is what my plan is, I would like to go with some Stage 2 Heads from RGR or see what Mike can do with some heads to match the cams and do everything in house. I know he has some pretty wicked grinds for GT500s so I am curious to see what he can do with a 5.0.

Thank you for the insite

Voltwings

Established Member
The main problem i've seen with making NA power on this platform is not the coyote itself, but the transmission having a hard time keeping up... You need RPMS to make high NA power, and shifting over 7500 repeatedly seems to take its toll on the trans. Would love to have a 500+ whp coyote, but "at what cost" is always the kicker... Granted 475-480 with a 100 shot wouldnt be a bad gig either haha.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
The main problem i've seen with making NA power on this platform is not the coyote itself, but the transmission having a hard time keeping up... You need RPMS to make high NA power, and shifting over 7500 repeatedly seems to take its toll on the trans. Would love to have a 500+ whp coyote, but "at what cost" is always the kicker... Granted 475-480 with a 100 shot wouldnt be a bad gig either haha.

What you said is exactly what everyone knows already, Im going to drive the shit out of my trans until it breaks and ill just fix it then.

Users who are viewing this thread