Cobra Jet Cams or Comp Cams????

KalEl370

Established Member
not to be a vibe killer but guys are making that power with LT's full exhaust, intake, e85. :shrug:

No vibe kill at all. First, it's a dynojet, but I've heard that one at that shop dynos low. Second, my motor was built basically for a power adder so I've been told it robs some power to rotate it. I'm not on e85 either or don't plan on it because it's inconvenient for me, but the car feels good and the truth will be in the mph at the track if I can ever make it out there. Also, another 2012 gt on the same dyno with 12.5:1 compression stage 3 ported heads, LTs, comp stage 3 cams and e85 made 509 so I think I'm ok.

69camaro...

Established Member
No vibe kill at all. First, it's a dynojet, but I've heard that one at that shop dynos low. Second, my motor was built basically for a power adder so I've been told it robs some power to rotate it. I'm not on e85 either or don't plan on it because it's inconvenient for me, but the car feels good and the truth will be in the mph at the track if I can ever make it out there. Also, another 2012 gt on the same dyno with 12.5:1 compression stage 3 ported heads, LTs, comp stage 3 cams and e85 made 509 so I think I'm ok.

The other 12 gt is right on par. Cams in my opinion do nothing to a car without a good set of heads. Together, they make great power but this is obvious.
So whats your plan to hit 500 mark without corn? Your motor was built on low comp for boost?

KalEl370

Established Member
The other 12 gt is right on par. Cams in my opinion do nothing to a car without a good set of heads. Together, they make great power but this is obvious.
So whats your plan to hit 500 mark without corn? Your motor was built on low comp for boost?

No it's stock compression. I don't know for sure if I'll hit 500 and won't be upset if I don't. My only other plans are to add 1 pc driveshaft and CJ setup. I'll be happy with that. If that amounts to about 470-480ish on the same dyno, I'm good.

69camaro...

Established Member
No it's stock compression. I don't know for sure if I'll hit 500 and won't be upset if I don't. My only other plans are to add 1 pc driveshaft and CJ setup. I'll be happy with that. If that amounts to about 470-480ish on the same dyno, I'm good.

470 area is still very good! good luck with the car

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Bump...
Great thread.
Still out on what cams to get... it looks like for the extra money a set of custom grinds might be the call.
I have a boss I did the CJ conversion on with the SCJ TB back in November. I already had the long tube and full exhaust on the car. Winter here in Colorado but... I can tell already I will need some cams just to help deal with the 8000+ DA that we get here in the summer... Don't laugh but my goal is to get the Boss in the 11s fully dressed with just a tire change from slicks and skinnies it will be road race ready. All this to be done at altitude for my goal.

ford20

Established Member
I would say L&M, I have been recommended to them multiple times and have been told they have some pretty wicked grinds for the 5.0. I have never followed through with it but for me it would be either L&M or hit up JPC and see if RGR could whip you up a nice cam grind.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Thank you, sir. I'm still trying to decide between a 9-10psi KB 2.8LC or a high powered NA build. I love a high RPM V8, but I also love the instant torque of a twinscrew. Tough decision for me.

twistedneck

Established Member
Thank you, sir. I'm still trying to decide between a 9-10psi KB 2.8LC or a high powered NA build. I love a high RPM V8, but I also love the instant torque of a twinscrew. Tough decision for me.

the KB setup will overheat on a road course after a few laps unless you have some serious charge cooling.

Turbo or centri S/C not quite so bad since its not bolted to the engine directly.

cams for S/C and N/A are kinda similar, but turbo cams are much different on the exhaust side so they can build boost more quickly, more of it.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
As much as I would love to, I'm probably never going to have the opportunity to road race this car. Autocross and drag strip are most likely going to be what's possible for me, but 99% daily driving with the occasional country road detour. I doubt that overheating is going to be an issue for me.

Itzslow

Established Member
Smoke- Great post and a lot of good info. I'm planning on doing a NA build this spring with stock compression, followed by your recommended list of goodies and 93 octane. If I decide to put a Paxton on some day down the road how will the NA cams and CJ intake affect it? Will I see the 500rwhp NA on 93 octane in your opinion?

Yagermeister

Established Member
Itzslow, right now I'm not sure a Paxton or Vortech will fit with a CJ intake due to the oval throttle body position and where the blower sits. You'd have to come up with a custom install

Sean@LethalPerformance

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Itzslow, right now I'm not sure a Paxton or Vortech will fit with a CJ intake due to the oval throttle body position and where the blower sits. You'd have to come up with a custom install

But a f1c, or nice 7675/7680 single from jpc or CPR will do just fine.. I'm tuned in for the same question as to which cam would be best if one chooses either of the two routes above.. Or is porting the heads a better in between step if you wanna do one other thing before f/i

Users who are viewing this thread