Cobra Jet Cams or Comp Cams????

BLK2012GT

Established Member
How am I off? If you had the proper CJ intake, SCJ oval TB, 4.5" CAI that would net another 25-30 over your current boss combo and FTW is good for another 20-25 over E85. There is 585 without mentioning tuning. There is a lot of power dialing in the TiVCT and you have limiters in your combo with the stage three's. There are tricks of the trade in ignition timing alternating cylinders, fueling, etc that build power. Not to dicredit your efforts, by any means, but you have a lot of room yet in an already stout combo. You didn't need compression or heads to get your numbers. CJ intake, custom cams, and FTW would put you over 600 rwhp, especially at your compression. Looking forward to your track results, dyno bench racing is just that, too many variables (STD/SAE/Weather station/load bearing, etc).

It will be another month or so till the true track times come. The track prep at the tracks around the dfw area has been crappy. There is a big event Oct 5th at a 1/4mile track so hopefully by then I'll have everything dailed in. I'll be shooting for high 10's NA with nothing taken out of my car with a MT82.

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
It will be another month or so till the true track times come. The track prep at the tracks around the dfw area has been crappy. There is a big event Oct 5th at a 1/4mile track so hopefully by then I'll have everything dailed in. I'll be shooting for high 10's NA with nothing taken out of my car with a MT82.

Good luck, keep us posted.

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
We need some more fully built NA guys to chime in here with their results

There just aren't many. There are only a handful of N/A stock ong block cars in the high 10's and they've all done it at 3500-3550 (Shaun, JJ, WBT, Casper, KDanner, JPC), There is the Kona blue car from CA (stage 2's, Livernois heads, boss, 11;1) made 522. Another on you tube that made 490 with Comp Stage 3's, Livernois heads, stock intake. Adam at Rev Auto (522 rwhp with JPC regrinds, lightly ported heads, CJ intake, 93 octane). JPC first got into the 9's at 3000 lb with a stroker, ported heads, custom comps, boss intake. With the CJ intake and more getting into custom grinds (L&M, JDM, JPC, RGR, etc) we will be seeing more.

corysmach1

Established Member
I make 434 now with minor bolt ons E85 and AED tune. If i could add long tubes, cobra jet intake scj tb and 4.5 inch cai with comp stage 3s and make 500rwhp i would be very happy.

az20115.0

Established Member
There just aren't many. There are only a handful of N/A stock ong block cars in the high 10's and they've all done it at 3500-3550 (Shaun, JJ, WBT, Casper, KDanner, JPC), There is the Kona blue car from CA (stage 2's, Livernois heads, boss, 11;1) made 522. Another on you tube that made 490 with Comp Stage 3's, Livernois heads, stock intake. Adam at Rev Auto (522 rwhp with JPC regrinds, lightly ported heads, CJ intake, 93 octane). JPC first got into the 9's at 3000 lb with a stroker, ported heads, custom comps, boss intake. With the CJ intake and more getting into custom grinds (L&M, JDM, JPC, RGR, etc) we will be seeing more.

Yes, I saw that JPC 507 whp car years ago, which led me to sell my 06 GT and buy my 5.0..

That Kona Blue car from Van Nuys Ca is pretty bad ass.. It was done by B&D racing

And now I know about Black GT, which is an amazing car as well..
We just need more of those 550+ whp cars..
Thats where I want to be anyway

BLK2012GT

Established Member
Now instead of the cobra jet manifold. What about MMR manifold? Do anyone think you will get the same gains as the CJ or maybe more?

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
Now instead of the cobra jet manifold. What about MMR manifold? Do anyone think you will get the same gains as the CJ or maybe more?

The plenum volume, cross section and runner volume are all wrong for a 8k rpm car. A Boss/CJ is 9 inches in runner length, mmr's is 4-5 inches. Way too short; torque loss would be significant. The CJ is as perfect as it gets for this RPM range and limitations of Copperhead. Now with a crank trigger full stand alone, and 9k+ RPM, I could see more potential if the plenum volume was larger. The plenum to port transition is not great either from what I've seen in the MMR.

BLK2012GT

Established Member
The plenum volume, cross section and runner volume are all wrong for a 8k rpm car. A Boss/CJ is 9 inches in runner length, mmr's is 4-5 inches. Way too short; torque loss would be significant. The CJ is as perfect as it gets for this RPM range and limitations of Copperhead. Now with a crank trigger full stand alone, and 9k+ RPM, I could see more potential if the plenum volume was larger. The plenum to port transition is not great either from what I've seen in the MMR.

Great info. So even with my boss manifold being ported (which is just the plastic in the runners that isn't necassary) you think I will still gain 25-30 rwhp if I do that swap?

KalEl370

Established Member
Shaun will get you set up. Comp stage 3's on a CJ car with full 50 degree VCT should make 505-510 on 91, 525 on E85 and 540ish on FTW. On a N/A car fuel is everything just like a boosted car. Remember our D/A's drastically affect N/A cars. You'll want good fuel if you want results as E85 and FTW run way cooler and pack a punch. The water pump is worth 10ish, but it's a grand and I wouldn't want the reliability headache. FRPP tested it and said cylinder head temps rose too high to the point of pulling timing. This was due to the constant velocity verus linear to rpm on a mechanical. Don't waste your money on coils - worthless. The combo is sold, but it's easily replicated and parts are available now. If you have any other questions let me know. You'll be in good hands with Shaun.
Glad I read this thread. I have a built bottom end with stock heads, Boss IM, upgraded valve springs with Stage 3 comp cams and no phase limiters. I think my tune could be much better but didn't know who to turn to because most shops want the limiters in there. The tune now is ok but I think drivability, idle and power could be improved. You think Shaun would/could do an email datalog tune? I'm in DFw texas and would not be able to go to his shop. I was almost to the point of going back in and installing the limiters but reading this leads me to think I'd be better off without them. Thanks.

BLK2012GT

Established Member
Glad I read this thread. I have a built bottom end with stock heads, Boss IM, upgraded valve springs with Stage 3 comp cams and no phase limiters. I think my tune could be much better but didn't know who to turn to because most shops want the limiters in there. The tune now is ok but I think drivability, idle and power could be improved. You think Shaun would/could do an email datalog tune? I'm in DFw texas and would not be able to go to his shop. I was almost to the point of going back in and installing the limiters but reading this leads me to think I'd be better off without them. Thanks.

I have the comp cams stage 3 with a lot of other stuff done and I had Truestreet in Mckinney do the work and tune mine. Now I do have the limiters in but my car drives great and make great power. You should give them a call.

Users who are viewing this thread