Cobra Cams

wiltjoe

Banned
I am stuck on a choice between camshafts and I would like your opinions on the matter.

I am looking at rpmoutlet.com at their compcam and crower selections.

I've decided on the

Compcams:
CCA-106300 (First one in the list)

OR

Crower
CRO62821-4 (Second one in the list)

of course with the corresponding springs, retainers and cam gears.

I can include the specifics of the cams, but if you click the links above, you can see them yourself. I'd appreciate insight into these cams.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
First off stay away from RPM Outlet. Also i would recommend that you just skip the cams on your car. You have a KB and it doesnt take much to turn up the boost. Cams may only get you 15-25hp with off the shelves grinds, plus valve springs are expensive and then the install is pretty labor intensive along with degreeing them in properly. I'd personally get take the money saved and get a forged shortblock and crank the boost up

Last edited:

wiltjoe

Banned
the kb is up for sale, I have yet to change my sig. my cam gear was sloppy on the crank thus throwing the crank, timing, rockers, cams, springs, valves went into cylinders and the cylinders compressed them against the heads, thus ending in a catastrophic failure of the right side of my engine. kb is up for sale because i need money to do an engine swap. I'm looking into the future for a naturally aspirated route.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
In that case, Comp 106300s hands down, at least IMO.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
the kb is up for sale, I have yet to change my sig. my cam gear was sloppy on the crank thus throwing the crank, timing, rockers, cams, springs, valves went into cylinders and the cylinders compressed them against the heads, thus ending in a catastrophic failure of the right side of my engine. kb is up for sale because i need money to do an engine swap. I'm looking into the future for a naturally aspirated route.

Ouch that sounds rough.

Also what are you goals for the car (N/A weekend car or daily, what kind of RPM to do you intend to run etc)

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Or rather, what intake manifold? I am assuming a stock intake?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Comp 106400s or 106300s. First choice would be the 300s for DD.

Crower 4v cams have had some quality issues lately.

wiltjoe

Banned
i was looking at the 106300's recently, how are the 106400's compared to them? much of a difference in driveability?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
i was looking at the 106300's recently, how are the 106400's compared to them? much of a difference in driveability?

Not much in driveability but there are some torque losses down low. Advancing the intake cams a few degrees will combat that problem by closing the intake valve sooner.

wiltjoe

Banned
dyno.jpg

well, the car made 320/325 with the new mach 1 motor with long tubes and a cai, so I'm looking for 340 with ported heads and new cams and possibly ported intakes and underdrive pulleys; I'm still in the process of research as far as the ported intakes go. and yes, the car stopped making peak power due to "bad fuel" from wherever I get my 94 from. The guy did 3 extra passes, and stated that the fuel sucks.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
well, the car made 320/325 with the new mach 1 motor with long tubes and a cai, so I'm looking for 340 with ported heads and new cams and possibly ported intakes and underdrive pulleys; I'm still in the process of research as far as the ported intakes go. and yes, the car stopped making peak power due to "bad fuel" from wherever I get my 94 from. The guy did 3 extra passes, and stated that the fuel sucks.

The car stopped making power because of the intake and cams, not bad fuel; power peaked where all other stock cammed/intake'd engines peak.

Only 20rwhp from ported heads and cams would be very bad.

wiltjoe

Banned
well, my last cam/intake na car was a 3.8, and it didn't gain much at all from all the money i dumped into it, so I wasn't exactly expecting to gain much from the mods.

wiltjoe

Banned
what about the fr500 kit? I need new valves for the heads anyways since the old ones are screwed. I am planning on putting my old heads (994v) onto the mach1 motor I have for an easy swap once the cams are on.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I love my FR500 cams, but I have the FR500 intake too. You will need a ported short runner intake at least. Right now, I only have teh short runners working, and she pulls really hard. No dyno yet though.

fangs99

Established Member
I love my FR500 cams, but I have the FR500 intake too. You will need a ported short runner intake at least. Right now, I only have teh short runners working, and she pulls really hard. No dyno yet though.

how ruff do thes the frpp cams idle?

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
how ruff do thes the frpp cams idle?

They are pretty smooth. They have just enough to know there is something there if you are paying attention. This is the video I made when I first finished the build.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9OYM10Xsuo"]YouTube - First start of new build[/ame]

Users who are viewing this thread