clutch pedal shake, rattle and TOB squeal

04cobruh

Established Member
Hey all,

I installed a new centerforce DF clutch, Fidanza flywheel and ford TOB about 6000 miles ago. recently my clutch pedal shakes and rattles vigorously at idle and while driving in all gears. I am running a stock cable , Steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster. if I loosen the adjuster i have almost no clutch pedal, and if I tighten it to where it feels "right" the TOB squeals very loudly.

I do have an adjustable cable from Steeda that I was going to try out and see if I could fine tune the set up, but before I did that I as looking for some other Ideas or suggestions.

I'm just hoping I don't have to replace any of the parts that behind the bell housing.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i wouldn't recommend that adjustable cable. sometimes a help for the pedal vibration is the ldc mod, which is essentially just a strong spring between the fork and bellhousing. (i think it was called the ldc mod.)

Zemedici

Established Member
do not put in that adjustable cable. Best cable for 03-04 cars is the OEM Ford cable.

^^LDC Freeplay mod may work, some have referred to it as 'Anti-Venom Mod' for C5Z's....I'd try that, and let us know. Sounds definitely like an adjustment issue. Just gotta find that sweet spot and NOT TOUCH IT. hahaha

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I hope you dont mind if I piggy back on this thread.

My clutch pedal has a very slight vibration when my foot is off the pedal and it only vibrates enough to make a little noise sometimes. I assumed it meant something was slightly out of round or out of balance but based on the responses above it sounds like its nothing to worry about? If I touch it at all with my toe with it stops and I don't feel any kind of vibration.

I dont have any other issues with engagement, slip etc... if thats the case Ill try the LDC style mod.

Last edited:

04cobruh

Established Member
copy that guys!

I am about to order one of them from ebay right now. for 20$ its well worth a shot. I have struggled to get this thing dialed in. Makes me not want to drive my car. Hence why i've only put 6000 miles on it since February 2015!

Zemedici

Established Member
copy that guys!

I am about to order one of them from ebay right now. for 20$ its well worth a shot. I have struggled to get this thing dialed in. Makes me not want to drive my car. Hence why i've only put 6000 miles on it since February 2015!

Let us know! And trust me I understand - I put 3 clutches in my 04 cobra until I realized the flywheel was warped, not allowing the clutch to seat fully. New flywheel, and bam whole different car

01yellercobra

Established Member
do not put in that adjustable cable. Best cable for 03-04 cars is the OEM Ford cable.

^^LDC Freeplay mod may work, some have referred to it as 'Anti-Venom Mod' for C5Z's....I'd try that, and let us know. Sounds definitely like an adjustment issue. Just gotta find that sweet spot and NOT TOUCH IT. hahaha

I thought the Anti-Venom mod was the washers in the detent spring for the shift rod?

Zemedici

Established Member
I thought the Anti-Venom mod was the washers in the detent spring for the shift rod?

It is, but chevy guys like to call shit by the wrong name. When I was researching the LDC I saw it referred to as 'anti venom' a few times, just depends on who you ask, it seems. A tard or not. hahhaa

04cobruh

Established Member
So driven it home from work tonight was rediculous. The pedal shakes so bad at all speeds you could mix a can of paint with it. It's violent. And also when taking off from a stop, no matter how much you feather off slip the clutch there is so much vibration And shake. Could that still be the same issue or am I looking at more of an issue then adding the spring to my cable?

hotcobra03

Established Member
How bad is banging?

These tobs are crazy..ive had some last yrs and some days..

I had 1 explode..caused clutch fork to bang against transmission..

I think we are lucky that changing tob can be done without much work in driveway

slseals

Established Member
Did you replace the TOB retainer sleeve when you did the other work? Just asking because this sounds like how mine was acting when my sleeve came apart. Clutch pedal shaking, strange rattle/banging noise off and on... Happened right after I had my TOB and clutch replaced. I actually gave them the TOB sleeve to replace also and they just didn't put it in but that's another story.

04cobruh

Established Member
I did not replace the TOB sleeve when I did the service. I hope that's not the case! My clutch free play mod will be here today. Im going to throw that bitch in there when I get home from work. If not, I guess I'll be replacing the TOB, sleeve and hopefully not the clutch and flywheel.

Ill report back tonight or tomorrow.

04cobruh

Established Member
Ok see anything wrong? 6000miles on a frpp TOB

8F5CAC03-DA88-4783-A09E-D910DE60D45F_zpsa0tgeoja.jpg

8F5CAC03-DA88-4783-A09E-D910DE60D45F_zpsa0tgeoja.jpg

MG0h3

Established Member
It looks like the TOB is not touching the forks. You want it to be just touching them. Not sure if that will fix your problem but it may. May also be too late for the TOB.

04cobruh

Established Member
I have the cable Unhooked. TOB is toast!!! I'm ordering a new frpp bearing , new retainer sleeve and a head cooling mod while I have the transmission out. Anything else I should look into replacing while I'm in there?

Users who are viewing this thread