• dude, relax, there's no right answer, it's all the same

Votes: 44 13.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpjr

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
neither double clutching nor heel toe are needed as transmissions have been fully synchronized for about 60 years now.

a continuously variable transmission is fully synchronized.. not a T-56. not sure what you mean here... the trans does not rev match the motor automatically, which is exactly why you would heel toe coming out of a turn at speed.

djtech

Established Member
Jpjr said:
a continuously variable transmission is fully synchronized.. not a T-56. not sure what you mean here... the trans does not rev match the motor automatically, which is exactly why you would heel toe coming out of a turn at speed.

A T-56 (like mine) has synchronizers.

from http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission6.htm

Manual transmissions in modern passenger cars use synchronizers to eliminate the need for double-clutching. A synchro's purpose is to allow the collar and the gear to make frictional contact before the dog teeth make contact. This lets the collar and the gear synchronize their speeds before the teeth need to engage...

Heal-toe is used for other reasons.

Steeda30 said:
There's no need to put the car in neutral and release the clutch, then rev, then push the clutch back in to shift to a lower gear, that doesn't make any sense.

Agreed, unless your syncro's are worn out!

BTW... I voted clutch in/out doesn't matter. Splittin hairs!!

redsvtcobra

Established Member
Well, if it means anything, I have always thrown my car in neutral and disengaged the clutch... I have NEVER had to replace the tob or clutch in any car I owned and I've taken one to 200k miles!

SpectorV

Established Member
Well I am throwout bearing paranoid, having went though 4 of them in my 01 mustang v6 with in a year.... (I drove the car normally no abuse) I have the habbit of now putting it in neutral and letting out on the clutch always, I will coast to a light like this as well. Once I got an adjuster and quadrent the throwout bearing didnt go out as fast though.

Terminator

Established Member
SpectorV said:
I have the habbit of now putting it in neutral and letting out on the clutch always, I will coast to a light like this as well.

Same here.

Last edited:

marcseidler

This goes back to the 70's in my experience. If you keep the clutch pushed in you load and thefore are spinning the TOB. This causes heat and wear on the seals that eventually causes the grease to leak out and then failure. The only supply of lube for the TOB is its grease packed in. There should be no argument from a technical standpoint for keeping the clutch pushed in at a light anymore than you have to period.

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
VintagePorscheG said:
can you say "THROW OUT BEARING"

good, I knew you could!
I CAN who knew a chaep part could be such a PITA to change....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread