Clutch choice..... SPEC stage 3+ vs RST

fangs99

Established Member
Looking to do some belhousing upgrades soon whitch clutch do you recomend? Car is a basic bolt on car make 470/483 i will be upgrading to a 26 spline input at the same time.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
I believe almost everyone is going to recommend you go RXT over RST as it holds more power with no real down side.

Anytime you can do a twin disc over a single you should. Most people go single disc because they don't want to spend the money on a twin disc but if you're willing to spend the money go twin.

Me personally I went with the Centerforce DYAD twin disc because it has a sprung hub so it eats up engine noise. It was expensive ($1500) for everything but I love it.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
RST easy choice ive had both and the mcleods are just awesome. they drive like stock and have a super light pedal feel.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I just installed my RXT and im in the break in process. SO far its amazingly light, like honda light pedal feel. I am in disbelief.

fangs99

Established Member
I had a RXT with my old turbo setup so I know what to expect there, I expect the same from the RST. This car will only be a bolt-on car so I have no need for a 1000hp clutch. I'm more looking to see if the RST is cost effective enough over the SPEC stage 3+,And if there are any down sides to it.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
I have a RXT currently .... but at your power, I really liked the Centerforce DF clutch ~ I had no problems with the clutch at 600+ hp ~ and it has a soft pedal feel

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I think for the $170 price difference bewteen the rst and rxt I'd go with the rxt. Even bolt on power. I've read too many complaints with the rst drag racing or hard street launches. The rxt holds up a lot better over the long run.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Anyone with a SPEC stage 3+?

No personal experience, but a friend of mine is running the 3+ in his Mach 1. He paid for the light pedal option as well. He absolutely loves it. He was at the track with it just last week. And he said the pedal effort is very light. Considering he's trying to get knee replacement surgery I think that says a lot.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I have the Spec 3+ along with the 26 spline input shaft. Love the light pedal feel - lighter than stock. I'm not pushing as much power as you are though.

I am not having any issues with it so far. It is crazy grabby initially, like an on/off switch. After putting about 200 miles on it - it's behavior changed to be a little more "normal". I've put about 1K miles on my as a daily driver - no complaints from me. It is light and easy to drive with after it is broken in.

canadianbullitt

Established Member
650+ rwhp here with spec 3+. softer than stock. and absolutely zero complaints out of it

I sometimes see people say stuff like that. "as soft or softer than stock" I just don't see that possible on a SPEC 3+. Most people including me would say their 3+ requires much more pedal effort than stock.

cj428mach

Established Member
My old SB car had a spec stage 3+ and the pedal effort was minimal but it was very on/off switch compared to other clutches.

I thought I read the stage 3 was a stiffer pedal and the stage 3+ was the low pedal effort one.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
I have the spec 3+ with 26 spline also.Clutch is heavy"grabby"& reverse sucks.....but it holds my power just fine & learned to drive around problems.happy overall

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
My buddys nephew just had the spec 3+ put in with the light pedal effort. I felt it while it was parked. Very very easy. Definitely easier than my ram. Havent drove it yet but would recommend from what I felt.

Users who are viewing this thread