Clutch Chatter

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
04torchred said:
I agree with you, my Spec 3+ will only chatter if you do two of the following things.
1. Let it out slowly without enough engine rpm. You can no longer let the clutch up slowly with zero to no gas like you could the stocker and have it get moving.

2. Again let it out without enough engine rpm and try to slip it :-D
Good advice.
It takes a while to warm the Kevlar clutch up.
This is my second T-56, I'm not so sure it's the clutch that chatters as opposed to maybe the input shaft of the T-56.
Low RPM launches are out of the questipn unless you like to hold fillings in your hand.
Jeff

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
IronTerp said:
Ironic fact is that most of the higher performance clutch options for our cars actually have a softer peddle feel than stock. I installed one of LDC's clutch freeplay kits on my Spec 3+ and it gave it that stock clutch feel.

+1, I installed the freeplay kit as well. My 98951hdt has little/minor chatter when driven like the stock clutch as well. Exactly what the original poster was mentioning.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
one thing i am noticing on the dfx and low speed chatter is that it is better not to give it any gas. just let it grab and engage, then roll into the throttle. then there is hardly any shudder at all.

so it is very different from stock. if i did that on the stock clutch it would usually stall out.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
silvercoffin said:
Of course you are going to have chatter if you buy a clutch rated for 800tq and designed for racing.
Not any more!
I have a Ram twin disc in mine now. Rated for 900+ and absolutely ZERO chatter. Pedal effort is about the same as a hydraulic clutch. :rockon:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
04torchred said:
The idea behind the LDC kit is more to make sure your TOB is kept off the pressure plate fingers all the time and that it isn't riding on them. Keeping the pedal tight is a by product.
Actually, just the opposite is really the case. The kit was initially designed to eliminate the loose pedal after the stock quadrant was removed and the aftermarket piece was installed.
When the kit was first created, long before it was released to the market, it was not apparent the the TOB issue was going to be the problem that it is today.

The TOB/PP fingers clearance was a very desireable side benefit.

But, either way, both effects are a plus and it does the job well.

Dana

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
I've had ZERO chatter from day one with my Spec 3+/steel flywheel. I did get some chatter when I had the spec 3 (not plus) with aluminum flywheel. I have the LDC kit as well.

Last edited:

04torchred

Established Member
Dana said:
Actually, just the opposite is really the case. The kit was initially designed to eliminate the loose pedal after the stock quadrant was removed and the aftermarket piece was installed.
When the kit was first created, long before it was released to the market, it was not apparent the the TOB issue was going to be the problem that it is today.

The TOB/PP fingers clearance was a very desireable side benefit.

But, either way, both effects are a plus and it does the job well.

Dana

Oh my bad then I figured it was to keep the TOB off the pressure plate. Thanks for clarifying that.

Users who are viewing this thread