CJ intake on 2015

tonylittell

Texas sized Balls!
Established Member
Im pretty sure Nowhere near 4 inches is needed. If anyone can help me to find the height of a 2015 intake measuring from the flat surface it is sitting on to its highest point, it would help greatly.

I will go out and see if there is a good place to measure from with it on the car as well

tonylittell

Texas sized Balls!
Established Member
ok, with some crude math and measuring, this is what I came up with. Obviously I will have to get some more exact measurements.

Im told the cj is 10" tall and from what I can tell, the highest point on the 2015 intake is from what I can tell 5 1/2 for I dif of 4 1/2 inches

it looks like from what I can tell we have atleast 3" of hood clearance with the hood insulation removed. So it looks like I need to find 1 1/2". the drop mounts give 3/4 of adjustment, so I need to find 3/4 more from what I can tell

once the mounts arrive I will see if possibly making a true solid mount will give the needed room. will also have to measure for spacers to drop the trans a bit to make pinion angle a little easier to achieve....

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
ok, with some crude math and measuring, this is what I came up with. Obviously I will have to get some more exact measurements.

Im told the cj is 10" tall and from what I can tell, the highest point on the 2015 intake is from what I can tell 5 1/2 for I dif of 4 1/2 inches

it looks like from what I can tell we have atleast 3" of hood clearance with the hood insulation removed. So it looks like I need to find 1 1/2". the drop mounts give 3/4 of adjustment, so I need to find 3/4 more from what I can tell

once the mounts arrive I will see if possibly making a true solid mount will give the needed room. will also have to measure for spacers to drop the trans a bit to make pinion angle a little easier to achieve....

What are you going to do about transmission alignment and pinion angle once you drop the engine that far?

tonylittell

Texas sized Balls!
Established Member
What are you going to do about transmission alignment and pinion angle once you drop the engine that far?

The spacers I said I was going to measure for the trans crossmember would take care of the pinion issues

But the adjustable uppers I ordered for the rear will accomplish a lot of the pinion issues as well.

Trans angle and pinion are the easy parts to fix. Finding the extra clearance under the hood is the challenging part if the factory hood is to be used. There are two companies with hood options that should work. Watsons cowl hood will definitely work but at 1499 plus shipping and paint it's expensive. Trufiber has a hood as well and I think it will work also and it's half the price since it is fiberglass. I am waiting on pics of the underside and a couple measurements to figure out if it's an option

Last edited:

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Wow, nice to have my stock hood close just fine. I guess aftermarket intake manifolds will not be popular on 15 up cars unless you want a huge bulging hood scoop. :)

tonylittell

Texas sized Balls!
Established Member

Attachments

• WR-15-COWLHOOD-CF-2.jpg
    WR-15-COWLHOOD-CF-2.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 317

tonylittell

Texas sized Balls!
Established Member
but, if you read the posts closer you will see my goal this whole time is to find a way to do the swap with the stock hood

tonylittell

Texas sized Balls!
Established Member
lol.... it is an exact copy of the hood on our car except a little taller lol..... if you don't like this hood, then you don't like the cowl hood on our cars from the factory

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
Sorry, that is more than just a little and not subtle. Just cut a hole in the hood big balz... :0

tonylittell

Texas sized Balls!
Established Member
How about we try to keep the thread on topic about the swap and what is being done to try and make this a swap that all can do without a hood swap. I am trying to source the parts needed to make an affordable kit for all to do the swap and look stock if possible.

If we cant keep this on topic ill be forced to have the admin lock the topic and not share the build and my experiences with the 2015 community

RSKtakR

Established Member
what is being done to try and make this a swap that all can do without a hood swap. I am trying to source the parts needed to make an affordable kit for all to do the swap and look stock if possible.

This because I don't want to have to spring for a hood just to run the Boss or CJ intake. I just gave up for the time being because there are no options yet, and after doing the same figuring you did Tony and ending up with about the same numbers I'm not sure what to do other then fab up my own even lower motor mounts, but then LT's may not fit with the motor that much lower and like you said the trans mount would need to change too. Another factor is I these s550 motors have a type of CMCV plates like the 05-19 4.6's. I don't know if they are under the factory intake manifold taking up more space or actually part of it as I haven't pulled things apart to find out but I'm sure someone else can post info about that.

Last edited:

RSKtakR

Established Member
So I was on FB and this guy said he has the Boss intake manifold on his 15 with the Steeda adjustable motor mounts, he is also running LT's. I have a pic of the intake on his 15 but I cant post it because its to big for the forums rules. Im waiting to find out what height setting he has those mounts set at.

Last edited:

KonaFifty

Established Member
So I was on FB and this guy said he has the Boss intake manifold on his 15 with the Steeda adjustable motor mounts, he is also running LT's. I have a pic of the intake on his 15 but I cant post it because its to big for the forums rules. Im waiting to find out what height setting he has those mounts set at.

the cj intake is longer than the boss intake...so what you can do with a boss intake, you cant with the cj intake...and op is trying to get the cj intake on there...

RSKtakR

Established Member
the cj intake is longer than the boss intake...so what you can do with a boss intake, you cant with the cj intake...and op is trying to get the cj intake on there...
ahhh didn't know that the CJ intake was taller/longer, thought it was pretty close to the same dimensions.

tonylittell

Texas sized Balls!
Established Member
I am trying to get a height on the boss intake now. I have the height of the cj intake. There is a guy that has a white s550 with the boss intake and he says with the upr mounts the factory hood works with a very slight rubbing on the under-hood liner but that's it. if anyone can find the dimensions on the boss intake that I can compare with the cj intake it would be greatly appreciated. things are looking a little more promising though

tonylittell

Texas sized Balls!
Established Member
I now have pictures of the car that has the boss intake on it and I have the exact measurements of the cj and boss intakes and where the extra size is on the cj. I'm actually feeling like we may not have to swap hoods. I'll post pics and measurements either tonight after I get back from the track or tomorrow am!

Users who are viewing this thread