Christmas gift is here :) Upper pulley and 4 piece idler help!

finaliize

Established Member
The gifts are here. Received a 2.76 BF upper and a black IRS brace. I'm not worried about the brace at the moment as it's gunna be a pain in the butt when I can finally put aside the time.

I have the 2.76 upper, and the previous owner of my terminator gave me the 4 peice idler set from billetflow as well, with the bracket. However he did not give me instructions so as i'd say somewhat of a beginner mechanic, I am clueless. I do have the pulley puller tool for the upper so tools are not a problem.

I tried using the search function but could not find any exact matches in detail of how to install either, so I found this.

Supercharger Pulley Install On 03-04 Cobra Mustang

That is a good explanation on the upper, even mentions the idlers but I do not have instructions.

Anyone willing to help a beginner out? I know a write up in detail is too much so if anyone can link me to a topic or somewhere with a detailed write up I would appreciate it. Merry christmas to all as well.

perry2k12

Established Member
That write-up explains it fairly well. What else do you need? The idler pulleys are just a single bolt... couldn't be any easier.

Also, I'm sure you're aware that you will need a tune... do you have a tuning solution yet?

finaliize

Established Member
That write-up explains it fairly well. What else do you need? The idler pulleys are just a single bolt... couldn't be any easier.

Also, I'm sure you're aware that you will need a tune... do you have a tuning solution yet?

I have an SCT handheld tuner, not a damn clue how to use it other than to read error codes. The car already had a tune when I bought it. The car is my daily driver, will it be a problem driving it with the new pullies and no updated tune?

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
I have an SCT handheld tuner, not a damn clue how to use it other than to read error codes. The car already had a tune when I bought it. The car is my daily driver, will it be a problem driving it with the new pullies and no updated tune?

anytime you up the boost, you MUST have a new tune, for the added boost. if you dont have a tune for the new smaller upper, then you will have to either contact a tuner such as BAMA/americanmuscle.com or amazon tuning...or go to a local tuner/dyno...but either way, you are going to need a new tune. all you have to do is contact BAMA, let them know what mods you have, and they will email you a tune, based on your mods. you then load the tune onto your handheld. once you have the tune on the handheld, you can then install it onto the car.

i am currently running a BAMA tune. i had the tune checked/verified on a dyno, and they nailed the AFR with an 11.7 - 11.8. i didnt even have to send back any data-logs for them to make corrections. they nailed it on the first try.

edit: what size of pulley is on it right now? stock upper?

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
congrats on the gifts

yeah it would be a good idea to shop around for a local shop where you can get a good dyno tune once you install that pulley. you might be able to drive there but do not get into boost at all. it is good that you have the sct tuner already. you can look on there to see what kind of tunes might be loaded

i was in the same boat as you when i did these mods to my terminator and i am just a hobbyist type mechanic. do you have a puller for the supercharger pulley? billetflow makes a really nice one. also, the brace is not really hard if you just take your time and be patient with it. i did that in my garage as well.

best of luck and enjoy the new power!

finaliize

Established Member
Yes it is the stock upper. The problem is my funds aren't too great right now that's why I got these for christmas. If I get an e-mailed BAMA tune they do charge i'm assuming? Might have to bite the bullet and go to a local shop.

oldmodman

Established Member
You will be safe installing all the pulleys, including the upper.

But you MUST stay out of boost until you get a new tune. You can get a mail order tune but you would be safer going to a local shop and getting the tune done in real time on your own car. They will load the tune into the car for you and synchronize your handheld tuner to the car's computer.

Just STAY OFF THE GAS until you get the new tune. One hard run up through the gears without the new tune could destroy your engine.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
worst case scenerio if money is TOO tight, there is one thing you CAN do...that will still cost a little money...but no where near the cost of a tune new.

this is what i did, before i got my bama tune, but needed a tune for my upper pulley that i swapped.

you can go into the market section of the forums, and try to find a used UNLOCKED/UNMARRIED diablosport handheld programmer, that has the canned/stock 03 - 04 cobra tunes in it. it will come with whats called a 91 octane pulley tune. it is made for 91 octane gas and up to 14lbs of boost. you can run this tune, until you are able to get a new one. i was able to pick up a used diablo handheld with canned tunes for $125

edit: here is a link to the magazine article that originally gave me this idea a few years back. you can see, this is exactly what they did. just used the canned diablo pulley tune.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0605_2003_2004_mustang_cobra_performance_test/viewall.html

Last edited:

cbarile

Established Member
Ramseys is in Tampa by 41. They tuned my car for like $150-200 can't remember. Been in biz for 18 years always in the magazines. I likem as they really respect your car.

TRBO VNM

There is some good advice in here, but partially incorrect as well. Increasing boost does not necessarily mean you need a new tune.

I have one tune and I can run 10# or 20#. But I need to make sure I have the proper fuel octane, fuel system and MAF setup to run that higher boost. I DON'T need a new dyno tune or email tune for the added boost. Some of that depends on how the tuner tunes the car. With the way everything works nowadays and the electronics, there is not a requirement to get a new tune for more boost.

OP, based on your situation(new car, changing factory pulley, no clue what tune is really in there now) I agree, you need a tune whether it be email or dyno. You can get email tunes for 100-150 bucks and for an upper only eaton setup, any good tuner should be able to get it very close. Your next step if adding more boost later will be MAF changes and possible fuel system changes and that will require an updated tune

And remember, hitting a dyno and it being spot on does not mean the rest of the tune is ok. WOT tuning is difference than cruise tuning. You can't say the tune is perfect and dialed in with doing wot dyno pulls. That is only part of it and really, the easy part. Drivability is a great tuner shines.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread