Chevy Cruze Steering Wheel Falls Off

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
mozilla and IE have a built in spell check

You didn't properly punctuate your post mother ****er.

edumaction.jpg

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Shit happens with mass produced vehicles, and even hand built ones. Several Ferrari 458 Italias have burned to the ground recently. Ford also just recalled 1.2 million F150's after 300 of them had airbags go off for no reason, causing 100 injuries to drivers. I guess that means Ford and Ferrari both suck too? No.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
So now you're a build quality expert on a car you don't even own?

Id never own one now (Cruze). Unless were talking about a Cheep, in which id never own one to begin with. My sisters Liberty is pos enough, and seen countless other family/friends with Cheeps over the years.

If your sig is correct, and you drive a GST, then guess what, you basically own a 13 yr old Chrysler. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Co-Produced, and has (GST/GSX) no vital chrysler components that are chrysler related (maybe a switch here and there, AC system bullshit), though Ive yet to stumble upon a part number other than a mitsubishi one (they start with an MD or M). Now an RS/GS eclipse on the other hand, all Mopar parts and numbers, hell same engine that comes with the neon (420a) but in a heavier chassis. Notice the nicer trim levels (GST/GSX) have all Mitsu parts, while the shitty models (GS/RS) have all Mopar? Its not a coincidence....... If my car had anything Chrysler related that was important, id set it in a field and put it out of its misery. I enjoy my Mitsubishi made engine, transmission and many other vital and reliable parts produced by Japanese with tiny hands and imported over to be assembled by US workers.

Should do some research before you try to talk shit. Not to mention, I never said my car didnt have its flaws.......It is a Mitsubishi, and they did just drop the Evo, Lancer and Eclipse lines altogether. Not the brightest company in the world.

However shitty my Mitsubishi is, its steering wheel doesnt pop off because its only press-fit into the hub. It has this cool thing called a bolt that holds it to the hub as well, thats torqued to 200ft/lbs (or so it seems when youre trying to break it loose) and isnt going anywhere if you dont have a decent sized breaker bar. Of course, if youre trying to value-engineer and cut costs via lean manufacturing techniques, things like the necessity of said bolt go the wayside to meet cost cuts.

Coming from someone who owns a GST and an 03 cobra, you have no room to talk about build quality. Besides, have you ever owned a Jeep? If you did own a Jeep, then I don't know what your issue was, because all of mine have been perfect with no issues. Same goes for all my friends and family who have owned Jeeps. Chrysler has had issues, the Jeep brand however is very realiable. If you haven't owned a Jeep then once again you are talking out of your ass.

LOL talking shit about a Cobra on a SVT site I see? Troll much? GTFO and head to a Cheep forum.

And like I stated above, no ****ing way in HELL would I own an actual Chrysler product, let alone a Cheep. My sister has one and its a ****ing pile, and many friends/family over the years. ABS sensors, brakes need to be redone fully about once every 10k it seems. Engine burns oil and ticks if its not always full to the brim. Absolute junk. Id never trust one farther than I can tow one, and sure in the hell wouldnt be relying upon one to get me through some crazy wilderness trail.

Last edited:

LOLasaurus

Established Member
Playing devils advocate again, but how does anyone know that this isn't some elaborate scam against GM? Not saying it is or isn't, just asking the question, since this so far has only been documented on one car. There was one just a few months back during the whole Toyota fiasco when some guy claimed his car was running out of control. It turned out he was simply trying to scam Toyota. This could be the same thing. We don't know.

With ~215,000 sold worldwide in 2010 and ~60k so far this year, this single failure represents .0004% of Cruze's on the road. Hardly cause for a panic.

Every single OEM has had, and will have recalls. This is a statistical guarantee. I prefer not to be a hypocrite and jump on the bandwagon when an obvious anomaly has occurred.

To be honest I thought it was kinda odd when they felt the need to mention the passengers in the car.

A grandmother, a mother, and a baby......why not say there were 4 puppies in the car for good measure

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
To be honest I thought it was kinda odd when they felt the need to mention the passengers in the car.

Well, it did make me think of what I would do if that there my wife and kids in the car. Glad they made it out of it okay, but if that were my family, I'd do what I can to ****ing OWN the car company that made my family so unsafe. I can't even imagine what I'd do if it actually ended up hurting them.

LOLasaurus

Established Member
Well, it did make me think of what I would do if that there my wife and kids in the car. Glad they made it out of it okay, but if that were my family, I'd do what I can to ****ing OWN the car company that made my family so unsafe. I can't even imagine what I'd do if it actually ended up hurting them.

IMO if they ARE running a scam then thats exactly what they want you to think!

By mentioning the grandma, mom, and baby as the passengers anyone that watches the video will immediately think "That could have been my grandma, mom, or baby in that car!"

If the video gets enough public backing GM might be more likely to settle to avoid a PR nightmare if this goes to court

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
IMO if they ARE running a scam then thats exactly what they want you to think!

How can it be a scam when Chevy obviously inspected the damaged steering wheel and didn't sic a shit-ton of lawyers on the family for them intentionally damaging the steering wheel and messing with GM's rep? That is, instead of issuing an expensive recall instead. Are they master engineers that can fake a factory flaw?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
How is the person who filmed the video running a scam?

Looks like your standard vehicle parked inside a dealer service/repair bay waiting work. I fail to see how a dealership is going to be running this scam......

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Why so much hate on GM?? You don't like it, don't buy it.
i'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that it's because a ****ing STEERING WHEEL fell off of a brand new car while it was being driven down the highway:dw: that's aside from the fact that GM's quality has been iffy overall these past few years. the first camaros rolling out of the factory with stick on wheel weights on the calipers?!:dw: it's not that GM isn't being given a chance, it's that they continually **** up on a regular basis.

Raven519

Established Member
Id never own one now (Cruze). Unless were talking about a Cheep, in which id never own one to begin with. My sisters Liberty is pos enough, and seen countless other family/friends with Cheeps over the years.

Co-Produced, and has (GST/GSX) no vital chrysler components that are chrysler related (maybe a switch here and there, AC system bullshit), though Ive yet to stumble upon a part number other than a mitsubishi one (they start with an MD or M). Now an RS/GS eclipse on the other hand, all Mopar parts and numbers, hell same engine that comes with the neon (420a) but in a heavier chassis. Notice the nicer trim levels (GST/GSX) have all Mitsu parts, while the shitty models (GS/RS) have all Mopar? Its not a coincidence....... If my car had anything Chrysler related that was important, id set it in a field and put it out of its misery. I enjoy my Mitsubishi made engine, transmission and many other vital and reliable parts produced by Japanese with tiny hands and imported over to be assembled by US workers.

Should do some research before you try to talk shit. Not to mention, I never said my car didnt have its flaws.......It is a Mitsubishi, and they did just drop the Evo, Lancer and Eclipse lines altogether. Not the brightest company in the world.

However shitty my Mitsubishi is, its steering wheel doesnt pop off because its only press-fit into the hub. It has this cool thing called a bolt that holds it to the hub as well, thats torqued to 200ft/lbs (or so it seems when youre trying to break it loose) and isnt going anywhere if you dont have a decent sized breaker bar. Of course, if youre trying to value-engineer and cut costs via lean manufacturing techniques, things like the necessity of said bolt go the wayside to meet cost cuts.

LOL talking shit about a Cobra on a SVT site I see? Troll much? GTFO and head to a Cheep forum.

And like I stated above, no ****ing way in HELL would I own an actual Chrysler product, let alone a Cheep. My sister has one and its a ****ing pile, and many friends/family over the years. ABS sensors, brakes need to be redone fully about once every 10k it seems. Engine burns oil and ticks if its not always full to the brim. Absolute junk. Id never trust one farther than I can tow one, and sure in the hell wouldnt be relying upon one to get me through some crazy wilderness trail.

We will agree to disagree, I will say this though, you obviously can't have an unbiased opinion on a company you hate. So its obvious no matter how good a Chrysler product is you will always say its crap.

what is still funny is you are still stuck on the thought process that this is a huge problem effecting tons of cars, yet only 1 single car had this issue and nobody was injured. Its kinda of sad that you and others are still stuck on that. I guess people just don't read anymore.

Also, if you can't take criticism on your poor little cobra, then you should GTFO. This site has become more of a car enthusiast site than an SVT only site.

SBo3 - Its not irony, but its funny that I didn't really think about that. I did not own one, however my brother did and yes it was a pile of crap, fast, but still a pile of crap.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
We will agree to disagree, I will say this though, you obviously can't have an unbiased opinion on a company you hate. So its obvious no matter how good a Chrysler product is you will always say its crap.

Dont have to worry, Chrysler product will never become good for me to worry about having to change my opinion.

Funny part is my family grew up as Dodge lovers. Had a Spirit RT and a Caravan. We still have a 05 Neon. Actually its funny, the Neon was the only thing they did right, build a cheap mass produced fleet car thats cheap to repair and mostly reliable.

what is still funny is you are still stuck on the thought process that this is a huge problem effecting tons of cars, yet only 1 single car had this issue and nobody was injured. Its kinda of sad that you and others are still stuck on that. I guess people just don't read anymore.

Not the point. Its 1 car that we know about so far.

How many countless other vehicles are out there that are a ticking time bomb for steering wheel failure? They are produced on the same assembly line, using parts produced at the same vendor. I highly doubt its a random occurance, and likely a mixture of a bad batch of parts with either poor metallurgy or loose tolerances, coupled with lean manufacturing technique to save money. Theres more out there. This will be the Toyota brake failure all over again. Hell we dont even yet know this is just Cruze related, if they use the same hub/design on other vehicles, its safe to say those are under scrutiny as well.

Oh well, every year some company has to take it in the ass, just sucks that our taxpaying money will likely again go to keeping them afloat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread