Chevy Cruze Steering Wheel Falls Off

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
whoever made that vid is a total A-hole. totally one sided and no one is there to defend GM at all. I bet the people got 2-3 papers in the mail explaining the recall but they just trashed them, and now all they want to do is blame GM for thier ignerance

Wouldnt expect anything less from a delusional GM fanboi with the screen name of vettez.

Raven519

Established Member
So, I gather there are a few who would buy one of these for one of their beloved family members. Then there are the ignerant ones like me.

There are things I would expect to go mechanically wrong even with a new car. A potential catastrophic failure such as the steering wheel coming off is not one of them.

HA!

anyway, you do realize it was just ONE CAR, right? And honestly, I would buy one, no reason not too.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
It shouldnt happen on ANY car. Its the steering wheel, its been the MAIN form of control since the standard basis of automotive design (4 wheels, brakes, engine, steering wheel, gas pedal) was founded.

I can see things that happen when we go to over-complicate shit with technology and it fails or youre talking about a combination of parts. This is your steering wheel hub. How do you **** up one of the most basic and rudimentary connection points between two parts on a vehicle?

Just as much bullshit was tossed when Mitsu was caught using plastic gas pedals. At least then you just umm, stop getting to where you wanted to go and slow down gradually hoping you arent in rush hour and dont get rear ended. Id hate to be doing 80 and all of a sudden my steering wheel pops off. I dont think its very easy to control a car even with power steering by sticking your finger into the hub to at least hold it straight......

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
You know, every car or truck I have ever owned it's been a bitch to remove the steering wheel. Even the pulling tools sometimes have problems getting it off. This one just fell off....lol

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
But it will, what a PR nightmare for GM.

Whenever a recall is issued that puts lives at risk, people tend to make a big deal. Ford, Toyota, GM or whoever. I honestly don't blame them. :shrug:

If my family was driving in a car and the accelerator got stuck or the ****ing steering wheel fell off I would let people know about it. Regardless if the manufacture issued a recall.

Playing devils advocate again, but how does anyone know that this isn't some elaborate scam against GM? Not saying it is or isn't, just asking the question, since this so far has only been documented on one car. There was one just a few months back during the whole Toyota fiasco when some guy claimed his car was running out of control. It turned out he was simply trying to scam Toyota. This could be the same thing. We don't know.

With ~215,000 sold worldwide in 2010 and ~60k so far this year, this single failure represents .0004% of Cruze's on the road. Hardly cause for a panic.

Every single OEM has had, and will have recalls. This is a statistical guarantee. I prefer not to be a hypocrite and jump on the bandwagon when an obvious anomaly has occurred.

Raven519

Established Member
It shouldnt happen on ANY car. Its the steering wheel, its been the MAIN form of control since the standard basis of automotive design (4 wheels, brakes, engine, steering wheel, gas pedal) was founded.

I can see things that happen when we go to over-complicate shit with technology and it fails or youre talking about a combination of parts. This is your steering wheel hub. How do you **** up one of the most basic and rudimentary connection points between two parts on a vehicle?

Just as much bullshit was tossed when Mitsu was caught using plastic gas pedals. At least then you just umm, stop getting to where you wanted to go and slow down gradually hoping you arent in rush hour and dont get rear ended. Id hate to be doing 80 and all of a sudden my steering wheel pops off. I dont think its very easy to control a car even with power steering by sticking your finger into the hub to at least hold it straight......

All of your rambling and it still only affected ONE SINGLE CAR. And there are no details on to what occured to cause it. Was it a part failure? Was it human error? Nobody knows and that video was about as retarded as some of the responses in this thread. You are just simply using this issue as another reason to insult a company you don't like. Simple as that.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
All of your rambling and it still only affected ONE SINGLE CAR. And there are no details on to what occured to cause it. Was it a part failure? Was it human error? Nobody knows and that video was about as retarded as some of the responses in this thread. You are just simply using this issue as another reason to insult a company you don't like. Simple as that.

Nah I like GM, but im aware of their build quality on most of their lower models and things that arent ridiculously fast.

Maybe if it was Chrysler your last line would equal true. Now that company.......oh wait, I see you have 3 Cheeps in your sig. Im sorry.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Nah I like GM, but im aware of their build quality on most of their lower models and things that arent ridiculously fast.

Maybe if it was Chrysler your last line would equal true. Now that company.......oh wait, I see you have 3 Cheeps in your sig. Im sorry.

So now you're a build quality expert on a car you don't even own?

If your sig is correct, and you drive a GST, then guess what, you basically own a 13 yr old Chrysler. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Talking shit about about a single incident when you have no room to talk. That's some good entertainment.

I'm not claiming that the Cruze is even a good car, just find it funny that a lot of people simply love to hate on something given the smallest opportunity. Every single car maker has had embarrassing moments in the past, and will 100% have one sometime in the future. What goes around comes around.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Playing devils advocate again, but how does anyone know that this isn't some elaborate scam against GM? Not saying it is or isn't, just asking the question, since this so far has only been documented on one car. There was one just a few months back during the whole Toyota fiasco when some guy claimed his car was running out of control. It turned out he was simply trying to scam Toyota. This could be the same thing. We don't know.

With ~215,000 sold worldwide in 2010 and ~60k so far this year, this single failure represents .0004% of Cruze's on the road. Hardly cause for a panic.

Every single OEM has had, and will have recalls. This is a statistical guarantee. I prefer not to be a hypocrite and jump on the bandwagon when an obvious anomaly has occurred.

I don't know if it's a scam against GM.

It seems people are taking the comments in this thread of out context. :lol1:

Steering wheel falls off new car with only 1,600 miles. GM issues recall.

That's all there really is to this story. Whether it's cause for panic is up to the people and their loved ones behind the wheel of one.

So now you're a build quality expert on a car you don't even own?

If your sig is correct, and you drive a GST, then guess what, you basically own a 13 yr old Chrysler. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

The only relationship was Chrysler took a stake in Mitsubishi and called it's partnership DSM, then Chrysler sold its equity stake back in 1995 and they were called Mitsubishi again. The entire time the actual design and production of their cars never changed though. ;-)

Raven519

Established Member

Coming from someone who owns a GST and an 03 cobra, you have no room to talk about build quality. Besides, have you ever owned a Jeep? If you did own a Jeep, then I don't know what your issue was, because all of mine have been perfect with no issues. Same goes for all my friends and family who have owned Jeeps. Chrysler has had issues, the Jeep brand however is very realiable. If you haven't owned a Jeep then once again you are talking out of your ass.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
times are tough... glue is not the answer; bolts and nuts work better.
nothing wrong with 'glues', if they are specd appropriately. many cars are put together with bonding agents that are stronger than the welds they replaced, such as lotuss(???) and aston martins.
this, though, is an A1 **** up. i don't care if this is the only cruze in the entire world that has had a steering wheel fall off, there is 100% no excuse for that. i mean, what the hell, was there only an 1/8" of spline engagement or something??? there is no way that a steering wheel should be able to just fall off without being pulled some noticeable difference.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Coming from someone who owns a GST and an 03 cobra, you have no room to talk about build quality. Besides, have you ever owned a Jeep? If you did own a Jeep, then I don't know what your issue was, because all of mine have been perfect with no issues.

If you haven't owned a Jeep then once again you are talking out of your ass.

Have you owned an 03 Cobra or GST? I guess everyone is just talking out of their ass tonight. :lol:

baby-crying.jpg

Just kidding, had to point out the irony though.

Users who are viewing this thread