Cheaper to go forced induction than stay NA?

Bmr4life

Established Member
Uhhhhh what. My CJ intake and stage 3 cams drives stock as shit. People who have drivability issues on the cj manis or s3 cams have a shity tuner. I'm also in the same boat as nordy, I wanted to be different and see how far I can push my n/a setup as well. 10's n/a on my daily driver, I'll take that. And if I get bored I'll put my n/a cams back in and go boost and sell the comps.

How much does the cam install cost? Isn't that like $1000 in labor cost down the drain?

redline5.0

Established Member
Don't be scured, do the install yourself. This was my first mod motor mustang and wen't into with zero know how. Granted I've worked on all of my cars but it was not really any different. I was worried about the timing and it was the easiest part lol.

Bmr4life

Established Member
I've been modifying different domestic cars pretty steadily over the last 15 years. During that time I've spent a lot of time drag racing, at cruise-ins, car clubs, forums, etc. In all that time I have never heard a forced induction owner say they wish they would have built their car N/A instead of FI. However, I have met people who definitely regretted building a N/A set-up instead of going FI.

Ultimately people should build their car however they want. Dollar for dollar a bolt-on car with a 150 nitrous kit is tough to beat.

I went NA with my 05 mustang to the point of changing the cams. Worse thing I could have done. Even after longtubes and 4.10s (A5) I still had no low end power. The thought of having to do a converter install was the final straw. I should have just gone FI and left everything stock even though the safe limit was 450rwhp.

These days you can FI a coyote for the same cash it would have been to do the 4.6L, but the safe limit is now 600rwhp.

On top of that, people like me don't have the time for our car to be down for upgrades (LT install took me 2 days solo) and also don't feel like playing CSI to find out the perfect combination for making a fast NA car. These days I have a 1 year old and my job is a full 50-60 hours a week including the commute. On the weekends I have to do chores around the house and may get lucky if I have time to go for a nice cruise. Wrenching more than once is not an option. For me its a no brainer and I will be going FI once I get another coyote. One and done if I can help it.

Last edited:

speed_monkey

Established Member
I went NA with my 05 mustang to the point of changing the cams. Worse thing I could have done. Even after longtubes and 4.10s (A5) I still had no low end power. The thought of having to do a converter install was the final straw. I should have just gone FI and left everything stock even though the safe limit was 450rwhp.

These days you can FI a coyote for the same cash it would have been to do the 4.6L, but the safe limit is now 600rwhp.

I was planning on going n/a with maybe a small shot of nitrous, but I was worried about exactly what you experienced with your 3v. I was afraid I would be 5k in and still be left wanting that little extra. Then I found a good deal on a vortech kit and that made the decision easier. lol
I am a little worried about the motor with boost, but I am running it through stock exhaust besides axle back and a stock air box. I don't rev the piss out of the car and I'm not letting it breathe freely so I figure I should be ok...

Sizeth3

Established Member
You guys have helped a lot, I think I might just save up for a blower, but am going to start with a tune and drag radials and see where I land.

Bmr4life

Established Member
You guys have helped a lot, I think I might just save up for a blower, but am going to start with a tune and drag radials and see where I land.

That's the proper staring point. Next would be an offroad x or h pipe since it's fairly cheap, adds some power, sounds good, and works with any blower. Also, don't waste your money on a CAI unless you can get it used and sell it for close to what you can buy it for. They don't add jack to a stock engine and only certain ones work with certain super chargers.

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
That's the proper staring point. Next would be an offroad x or h pipe since it's fairly cheap, adds some power, sounds good, and works with any blower. Also, don't waste your money on a CAI unless you can get it used and sell it for close to what you can buy it for. They don't add jack to a stock engine and only certain ones work with certain super chargers.

yep!

IT-Purrrs

Established Member
This is a damn good thread. Thanks everyone for their input's. In the 2.5 years I have owned my car I have not touched the performance aspect of it yet and have just done exterior and suspension mods. With the last of my interior and exterior tweeks about as far as I want to take it I was really looking at the CJ manifold and then just staying at that for a while because I have never owned a car as quick as this. I still have not dragged the car yet but I am mostly interested in road racing when I find a cheap set of wheels and tires. Is spending the money on a CJ worth it if that is really all I want to do?

ExTurbo

Established Member
This is a damn good thread. Thanks everyone for their input's. In the 2.5 years I have owned my car I have not touched the performance aspect of it yet and have just done exterior and suspension mods. With the last of my interior and exterior tweeks about as far as I want to take it I was really looking at the CJ manifold and then just staying at that for a while because I have never owned a car as quick as this. I still have not dragged the car yet but I am mostly interested in road racing when I find a cheap set of wheels and tires. Is spending the money on a CJ worth it if that is really all I want to do?

If you are road racing, and this is just my personal opinion, I wouldn't mess with the CJ Intake. Not that it cant be potent, but the RPM's you'll have to run to keep the car in its power band are quite high which might be a lot of extra stress on the motor/trans at track days. To me a blower is a lot of extra weight over the front axle on an already front heavy car. Most guys are looking for ways to remove weight from the front of the car to better balance it.

Im not saying there aren't guys out there running blowers on the road course, but I think its overkill and without some downforce id imagine putting the power down through corners would be difficult at best. I would take the car to the track as is and get used to the power you have, then if you feel like you are lacking you could always do exhaust/intake/tune and pick up 30-40 horse. If that's still not enough then you can make a decision from there what you want out of the car. unless you are doing a turbo the exhaust wont interfere with anything.

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
+1, and those high RPM's really heat up the engine as well on a road course. Staying in that high rpm powerband is actually a lot harder on a course than a drag strip.

Grabber2012

Established Member
Skip the longtubes and throw a plate kit on it and run high 11s NA then spray a 100-125 shot and run 10s, personally I'd love a blower but I can't justify the money being as how little I really need to have 10sec power under my right foot that I can actually use on a regular basis that amount of money can go toward way too many things, I have too many hobbies!

Users who are viewing this thread