Cheap Weekend Warrior and Daily Driver- N20>Supercharger? Who can bust 6s in the 1/8?

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
My goal, is to run mid-high 6s in the 1/8 mile. Which should give me some good 10 second passes in the 1/4. I want to do this with my 2011 Auto Premium GT/CS. Its a daily driver, and would see mexico/track every other weekend, so not too often.

I'm considering Costs/ET's between N20 and a Supercharger. To keep it short, I basically see A LOT of basic supercharger kits running mid 11s. Some even high 11s. This is extremely discouraging when considering the supercharger. Is it driver error, or what?

I always see more PEAK HP from a supercharger, but faster ETs from N20? Is this because of the power curve and instant torque/power from nitrous? Or am I wrong all together?

I'm leaning towards this, and all used:

NX Plate Kit $500 (Just seen this on coyote craigslist, and it included switch panel and warmer)
Cat Delete $100
Tune Revision $100 (Already have lund)
47LB injectors $200
BAP (I have no idea)

If I did this, I could run E85 and a 150 shot. I would do E85 because I cant get lund to give me a 150 shot email tune without E85, BAP, and injectors. Shouldn't this net me some pretty deep 6s? In general? I'm also considering just a 100 shot on 93, and getting a stall converter? Would this net some 6s?

Is there anyone out there that can shed some light for me? Or anyone that has a similar setup that can post some time slips? E85 150 SHOT OR 100 Shot with a converter, ect. Which is safer? Which is faster? Also, Is anyone running 6s with a basic Bolton supercharger kit?

Troponin

Established Member
Many folks running superchargers have conservative tunes on 91 or 93. E85 is not everywhere, so it's not an option. Also, going to E85 requires changing out the injectors, if you want to get the most bang out of it.

If you are auto, have a supercharger, and go E85, you should be in the 10s. Just make sure your wheels, tires, and suspension are set up right.

*Edit*

A centrifugal set up will be a little easier to get in to the 10s than a TVS. However, a good TVS set up will get you there too.

Last edited:

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Good info! Nice car!! I have a performance white GT/CS!

So, I also noticed, a lot of the Supercharged cars that do run 10s, still run 7s in the 1/8. My local scene mostly races 1/8 mile, and it's over 2 hours to the local 1/4 mile strip. It seems obvious at this point for what IM wanting to do, Nitrous is going to be the way to go. It doesn't make sense to dump that much cash into a setup that I'm really only going to use twice per month, maaaybe.

Is anyone running nitrous and a stall? What size stall did you go with and do you have some time slips to show, or mention?

I'm curious of: Stalled, 93 Octane, 100 shot Vs. Non Stall, E85 150 shot (Same car), which is going to result in a better ET? by how much? What about a stalled E85 150 Shot car, can someone share their times with me? Thanks.

1quick

Established Member
I have a off road H jlt intake nx plate 100 shot on a set of et street pro's and run 11.2 1/4 mile and 7.2 1/8th, I just did a converter hoping to be in the 10's on a 100 shot and deep 10's on a 150

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
I have a off road H jlt intake nx plate 100 shot on a set of et street pro's and run 11.2 1/4 mile and 7.2 1/8th, I just did a converter hoping to be in the 10's on a 100 shot and deep 10's on a 150

Perrfect. This is what I'm looking for. I'd be really curious to see your times with a converter. Almost all converter vs. stock converter comparisons I've seen have netteted atleast 1/2 second. If this holds true for you, you may be at a 10.7 with just a 100 shot, and into the 6s 1/8 mile. Keep me posted if you think about it when you get a pass with the converter...

Troponin

Established Member
Perrfect. This is what I'm looking for. I'd be really curious to see your times with a converter. Almost all converter vs. stock converter comparisons I've seen have netteted atleast 1/2 second. If this holds true for you, you may be at a 10.7 with just a 100 shot, and into the 6s 1/8 mile. Keep me posted if you think about it when you get a pass with the converter...

Converters make a big difference. I consider them a necessary mod with any auto if you want a fast car.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Converters make a big difference. I consider them a necessary mod with any auto if you want a fast car.
I previously had an 11 GT, and started doing bolt-ons and never considered a converter. I traded it in on a truck, and 6 months later decided I didn't need a truck, and now have another 11 GT/CS. Now, I'm looking at the least amount of mods, and a converter is definitely one of them. By the time someone spends $3-400 a pop on minor Boltons, they could've went faster just buying a converter, and cost less. I see people spend $3-500 on stuff like over axle pipes, throttlebodys, ect., and these things are proven for like 2-5hp... I'm on the fence about even purchasing a cold air intake.

Holovacko

Established Member
You're correct the mid 11, low 11, supercharged cars are disappointing. It's more common then people lead you to believe. You'll need suspension, drag radial(M/T's), converter and then either Supercharger or N20. To hit 10's on a budget. To save money, buy the correct combo, otherwise it's going to get expensive.

stang910

Established Member
I was running 6.6 1/8 mile times with my Paxton and 3.6 pulley on 93 octane. I had to get a converter to do it though. A friend was running very similar times running a ZEX 150 shot on 93 octane with a stock converter. Both cars were full weight premium cars.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
6.6 1/8 mile!? I would shit a brick. That's around where I need to be to mess with most of the true street cars (Ofcourse most of them are border line pro stock cars, claiming to be street cars trailered in)

So now I just need advice on a good converter for daily driving, and nitrous. I don't really plan to use a window switch, how many of you guys do not run one, and how safe is it hitting it off the line without nitrous? I plan to get nitrous first, and I notice waaay faster times from people hitting it off the line and upping their 60'.

So far, in this order:

Drag radials for rear
Cat Deletes
Nitrous Kit
Stall Converter

rhite95

Established Member
I have a 2014 stage3 Roush auto. I have a email tune (VMP) smaller pulley and on stock tires my car went 7.20 @ 98 in the 1/8th and 11.30 @ 125 in the 1/4. I have no doubt that with a few data logs and a pair of DR's my car will go 6's/10's. It can be done.....

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
11 seconds would be devastating to me if I spent that much money, *for what I'm trying to do*. Regardless, It's solid times, but the local Camaros would be gapping me up with a 7.4. Them LS motors take a lot of nitrous, and they're not scared of it either...

Anyone using a stall + nitrous? What type of stall are you using?

Anyone using nitrous + stock converter, how are you doing it, and whats your 60'?

rhite95

Established Member
11 seconds would be devastating to me if I spent that much money, *for what I'm trying to do*. Regardless, It's solid times, but the local Camaros would be gapping me up with a 7.4. Them LS motors take a lot of nitrous, and they're not scared of it either...

Anyone using a stall + nitrous? What type of stall are you using?

Anyone using nitrous + stock converter, how are you doing it, and whats your 60'?

Are they running 7.4's on a STREET tire?

You don't need a converter to run good times. I have friend running 1.5's 60ft's with stock converter....

Last edited:

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Actually, Yes, I wasn't actually racing him, but we were on the strip at the same time. It was an ls1 w/ a 100 shot with a progressor, and he ran a 7.3 on michellin pilot super sports.

Again, Its a solid time, and impressive for street tires, but that's why I specified for what I'm trying to do.

Edit: Don't hold me to his shot, it could've been a 200 shot, everyone lies about what they're running around here, but I do know it was on street tires. I posted a picture of it on here as a matter of fact because I was so impressed by it..

Last edited:

Healthforhazard

Established Member
getting into the 6s on street tires is going to be tough. Full, well sorted suspension and a diet might do it? At a certain point power is going to make it more difficult to hook up down the track.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
getting into the 6s on street tires is going to be tough. Full, well sorted suspension and a diet might do it? At a certain point power is going to make it more difficult to hook up down the track.

I'm not concerned with running it on street radials, I believe that was one of the supercharged guys stating street tires is why they were making 11 second passes..

I mostly am working on my checklist for my cheap fast build. So far its Drag Radials, Cat deletes, Nitrous 100 shot, Stall, then Injectors and E85 for the 150 shot. I need advice as to which converter would still be an easy daily driver for the wife to drive, and good for the track, especially when using nitrous.

corysmach1

Established Member
My car goes 7.0s @99 MPH all motor.....but I know a thing or 2 about nitrous. I ran it for 3 years on my Mach 1. I would do exhaust stall and drag radials. For the nitrous I would do one stage colder plugs gap them properly. Fuel is very important so do E85 if possible. You will need injectors for that. There is a few different options you could do a BAP and arm it for when nitrous is armed or do a stand alone so there is not much of a lean spike. Also get a window switch. Nitrous can be done safely but its not cheap. Of course a good tune goes a long way.

Last edited:

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
My car goes 7.0s @99 MPH all motor.....but I know a thing or 2 about nitrous. I ran it for 3 years on my Mach 1. I would do exhaust stall and drag radials. For the nitrous I would do one stage colder plugs gap them properly. Fuel is very important so do E85 if possible. You will need injectors for that. There is a few different options you could do a BAP and arm it for when nitrous is armed or do a stand alone so there is not much of a lean spike. Also get a window switch. Nitrous can be done safely but its not cheap. Of course a good tune goes a long way.

7.0s on motor is ridiculous. Imagine throwing E85 and a 150 shot on it at your point. Do you think that would get you into the 5? or just low 6s? I would love to run 7.0s on motor, but that sounds pretty expensive, I'm guessing you have CJ, Long Tubes, E85, Ect. to do that?

I still haven't had anyone with a stall and nitrous comment.... as far as which stall I should go with for daily driving, and fun at the track with nitrous. I was thinking a 4c, but seen a youtube review, and it seemed a little much daily driving, the video with the 5c was definitely too much for me..

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
5C isn't bad, love mine! I have 2 friends with 4c's. One of them is running 6.80's on a 100 shot and that's on 18" wheels with a radial.

Users who are viewing this thread