Charger Widebody release

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
The point is for relative data this shows it’s not just a one trick pony and in the hands of an average person this car can provide plenty of fun even on a road course.

The hellcat variants really are just a good average all around performance car with gobs of power for street fun and enough capabilities to still take to the track and hurt some feelings. Now for the more focused track day junky there are better options but the trade off will be a less enjoyable street car so it’s all in what one really wants.

That's not really the point that he brought up, at least how I see it. You can read it how you want, but it was being used as a comparison against other cars.

I don't doubt that the hellcat can throw down a decent lap, I've been on track with more than a few of them.

Again, not the point I was trying to make. This is a poor tool to use as a comparison for lap times.

I disagree. It's solid numbers and the variables you mentioned are going to translate in the terms of. 01 - 1.5 seconds up or down for any car on the list. So you are still looking at a cluster of data that says a Hellcat is going to be damn fast on an actual track.

As for changes to VIR, one of the biggest changes was the addition of FIA Curbing which means you can no longer cut across the gentle corners to ramp up momentum... Unless you want to sheer off your wheels and underbody.

Blasting across the "climbing esses" is exactly what a Hellcat driver would want to do, ands it's exactly what they can't do today.

HC also ran something like a 7:51 on Nürburgring, putting in with the C6 Z06, beating out a 996 GT3, GTR, SL65 AMG and M4.

It's a solid performance car that can hold its own. Your just going to have to channel your inner Richard Petty instead of Niki Laude.

That curbing was added in like 2010 or something and they ended up widening and repaving the track in 2014 and repaving it again like 2 years later. They smoothed out a lot of bumps in the turns which, especially for non-race cars, are a huge deal.

I can't remember the specifics, but nearly the entire field in GTLM broke the previous lap record after the repaving.

And again, I'm not talking down the performance of the Challenger on this.

I believe this is an inconsistent metric to compare cars, regardless of what cars we are talking about. I was saying this exact same thing when the Focus RS (when I owned one) wiped the floor with the STI by like 14 seconds on this track after it was repaved, I knew it was BS. Ring times are even less reliable.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
My nephew has a serious crush on the Wide Body Charger. After looking at pics and videos of it with him this weekend, Id consider one for a DD in a heartbeat.

Hell, new rods and pistons with a Whipple blower kit and you're in Hellcat territory.

blk02edge

Established Member
That's not really the point that he brought up, at least how I see it. You can read it how you want, but it was being used as a comparison against other cars.

I don't doubt that the hellcat can throw down a decent lap, I've been on track with more than a few of them.

Again, not the point I was trying to make. This is a poor tool to use as a comparison for lap times.

That curbing was added in like 2010 or something and they ended up widening and repaving the track in 2014 and repaving it again like 2 years later. They smoothed out a lot of bumps in the turns which, especially for non-race cars, are a huge deal.

I can't remember the specifics, but nearly the entire field in GTLM broke the previous lap record after the repaving.

And again, I'm not talking down the performance of the Challenger on this.

I believe this is an inconsistent metric to compare cars, regardless of what cars we are talking about. I was saying this exact same thing when the Focus RS (when I owned one) wiped the floor with the STI by like 14 seconds on this track after it was repaved, I knew it was BS. Ring times are even less reliable.
I am pretty sure people on this forum who have never been on a race track know better than you and me Austin... Lightning lap is a fan favorite around here

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I am pretty sure people on this forum who have never been on a race track know better than you and me Austin... Lightning lap is a fan favorite around here
Okay, then what metric are you going to use?

It's a helluvaot better then "omfg 4,500lb pig can't turn lololol POS"...

You can cry all you want about driver, tempature, humidy, wind, cloud coverage and moon phase... It is what it is. I've shown multiple data points...

blk02edge

Established Member
Okay, then what metric are you going to use?

It's a helluvaot better then "omfg 4,500lb pig can't turn lololol POS"...

You can cry all you want about driver, tempature, humidy, wind, cloud coverage and moon phase... It is what it is. I've shown multiple data points...
Same day same professional driver is literally the only way to giver proper "data". There are just way too many variables. I posted in another thread of me keeping even with a driver I consider to be equal to me, in a car that many times over out classes my car. You know how anything can happen in a roll race? Well that is aplified a million times over on a road course. For the record im sure this car will do awesome on the track and it will certainly be a ton of fun.

My94GT

Established Member
Been on the track and at VIR in the rain and the dry on a bike at that where the bumps really are “fun”

I get it, that’s why I was saying you can still get a round about idea that the car is actually surprisingly capable and simply not a one trick pony.

Now are all those lightning lap times the best measure, not exactly, but none the less here we are.

blk02edge

Established Member
Been on the track and at VIR in the rain and the dry on a bike at that where the bumps really are “fun”

I get it, that’s why I was saying you can still get a round about idea that the car is actually surprisingly capable and simply not a one trick pony.

Now are all those lightning lap times the best measure, not exactly, but none the less here we are.
I understand that point for sure, its just hard to call LL "data". All cars are chunky these days, at least a lot of that heft is for cooling, large brakes and stuff that makes them work. Useless to me though as the tire and brake bill would cost me 5k+ per month with the amount of laps I do.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
That's where you're wrong sir. If the dog is in bed with me she's going to do the work.

giphy.gif

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Same day same professional driver is literally the only way to giver proper "data". There are just way too many variables. I posted in another thread of me keeping even with a driver I consider to be equal to me, in a car that many times over out classes my car. You know how anything can happen in a roll race? Well that is aplified a million times over on a road course. For the record im sure this car will do awesome on the track and it will certainly be a ton of fun.
Two plus tons of fun.

lilcoop03

Established Member
IMHO, the ZL1LE, ZR1, and upcoming 2020 GT500 although functional look like they hit every ugly spoiler in the JC Whitney catalog. I'll have to see a GT500 in person before I'd order. The GT350 is so much cleaner.

I agree. The GT 350R is the "best looking" car out of all of those. And I'm a vette guy...

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Same day same professional driver is literally the only way to giver proper "data". There are just way too many variables. I posted in another thread of me keeping even with a driver I consider to be equal to me, in a car that many times over out classes my car. You know how anything can happen in a roll race? Well that is aplified a million times over on a road course. For the record im sure this car will do awesome on the track and it will certainly be 2 tons of fun.

FTFY... :D

Users who are viewing this thread