Centrifugal gimmick parts

robvas

Established Member
Thoughts on:

'Grip' pulleys promising less belt slip?

Billet impellers promising more CFM?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Both mentioned parts are not snake oil. They work, but there are downsides, like mentioned above with increased belt wear.

projectslideway

Established Member
Took a standard Vortech 6 rib 3.125 pulley to a local machinist and had him make rip cuts similar to a Reichard Racing pulley. I had no idea just how much my belt was slipping in high RPMs, it picked up so much power. He charged me $70 to make the cuts. It's not a daily but I'm sure it will impact belt life, no visible evidence that it's been chewing the belt though.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Took a standard Vortech 6 rib 3.125 pulley to a local machinist and had him make rip cuts similar to a Reichard Racing pulley. I had no idea just how much my belt was slipping in high RPMs, it picked up so much power. He charged me $70 to make the cuts. It's not a daily but I'm sure it will impact belt life, no visible evidence that it's been chewing the belt though.

the rip cuts do help but the grip tech was still a big step up for me (stupid, shitty single bolt tensioner timing cover)

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Don't forget about the Gates RPM belt too. The only people who hate it, have over tensioned it. My car has made 1400whp with the 8 rib Gates belt while using standard pulleys.

This was using Procharger's race series blower with the 5.40 step up ratio. The race blowers can utilize bigger pullies with more belt wrap so take my input with a grain of salt.

Also, when the belt slips it creates a ton of dust. Make sure to clean all pulley surfaces free of belt dust before a new belt goes on.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Don't forget about the Gates RPM belt too. The only people who hate it, have over tensioned it. My car has made 1400whp with the 8 rib Gates belt while using standard pulleys.

This was using Procharger's race series blower with the 5.40 step up ratio. The race blowers can utilize bigger pullies with more belt wrap so take my input with a grain of salt.

Also, when the belt slips it creates a ton of dust. Make sure to clean all pulley surfaces free of belt dust before a new belt goes on.

I keep forgetting to check if theyve started making a belt that would work for me

CobraSam

Established Member

Damn, 1400 without a cog setup? Impressive! My Foxbody has a ProCharger F1C making about 22psi an I run a cog. Obviously I don’t need it, but I got the setup for free and it’s different, so I like it.

JGDogg10

Established Member
I got a pulley from ZPE out here in California but haven’t got a chance to test it yet. It’s a 2.9 on a YSI so we will see. The pulley itself is beautiful and has a 2 piece design that’s supposed to make changing pulley size easier, but when our pulley for the head units face the block, it’s a pain in the ass no matter what.

As far as the impeller, I know for a fact it works. I used 928 Motorsports to upgrade my s trim with one of their billet impellers. Boost came on a lot stronger earlier in the rpms, and it made almost 2 pounds of boost more on the same pulley.

BOTTLEFED5

booost+spray= me
Established Member
These are not "gimmick" parts they work the "grip type" pulleys almost fully elminate belt slip, the billet impeller works 100% I picked up 2lbs of boost thru the entire graph on mine, also the bellmouth works and is good for some decent power as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
2.90" griptec here on a std ysi at 8krpm. no belt slip on a standard gates 8rib belt.. been contemplating going to a RPM belt so I don't have my tensioner at 95%.. Looking to get into a 2.75" upper probably later this year.. Maybe even a 2.5".. not sure how far I wanna spin the YSI-B setup I have now.. M car isn't a slouch either.

robvas

Established Member
Would like to order the 2.7” griptec and billet impeller for my little V2

$550 seems like quite a bit but a T-trim is $3500 new

robvas

Established Member
Installed my griptec pulley today, but it was about to start raining, windy and cold, so I didn’t get a chance to go out and do a third gear pull to see if it makes any more or less boost

2.7 replacing a 2.62

Attachments

• 607807F2-7EC3-4881-BB2C-D69BA57DCCB8.jpeg
    607807F2-7EC3-4881-BB2C-D69BA57DCCB8.jpeg
    762 KB · Views: 125

Users who are viewing this thread