Cat delete pipes and tune in!

RioRed4v

Established Member
Interesting info. I was going to put my Lethal O/R X on this weekend but keep the cats in place for the time being due to no tune/CEL/etc. Now i'm starting to rethink that haha.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
supposedly you can put spacers on the O2's and thats supposed to kill the CEL

Yep. You use spark plug anti-foulers. This effectively gaps the O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream so it sees less of the gas and therefore will not notice the change in mixture. I've done this multiple times on previous VWs and Audis.

RioRed4v

Established Member
So what about with backfires and stuff with the extra fuel being dumped and no cats to burn it off?

Not trying to be cheap with no tune, but just want to keep the warranty in place for now.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Obviously dumping fuel into the hot pipes will create explosions. Hell my car pops with the cats on there. If you want it 100% right and the most effective get the tune. If you are concerned about warranty go with BAMA as they have a warranty on their tunes. However, it is easy to remove the tune and the parts to go back to stock if you ever have a problem.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Obviously dumping fuel into the hot pipes will create explosions. Hell my car pops with the cats on there. If you want it 100% right and the most effective get the tune. If you are concerned about warranty go with BAMA as they have a warranty on their tunes. However, it is easy to remove the tune and the parts to go back to stock if you ever have a problem.

Only problem is that Ford would see the reflash to stock and I would still get denied. Ofcourse it depends on the work needed, but the work I'm worried about would be the ones that the tune would void lol.

I guess i'm just trying to figure out how bad the "explosions" would be. If it would still be acceptable as a DD then I might give it a shot.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Also, with the anti-foulers, is there a specific one to use? Was looking on autozone's site and there seems to be different lengths/sizes

TheYeti

Established Member
If you are concerned about warranty go with BAMA as they have a warranty on their tunes.

Also, Bama's warranty only covers for #8 failures, which is prob the biggest concern for most people tuning, but just thought I would point that out.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Only problem is that Ford would see the reflash to stock and I would still get denied. Ofcourse it depends on the work needed, but the work I'm worried about would be the ones that the tune would void lol.

I guess i'm just trying to figure out how bad the "explosions" would be. If it would still be acceptable as a DD then I might give it a shot.

Can Ford see access to the ECU? I know when I had my Subaru and used the Cobb Accessport on it, similar to SCT hand loader, it stored the stock tune and stock ECU count so uninstalling the device effectively wrote the ecu back to the state it was before the tune thereby making it invisible to Subaru. I know it wasn't visible b/c I had warranty claims and put the car to stock and they fixed them no questions asked.

Also, with the anti-foulers, is there a specific one to use? Was looking on autozone's site and there seems to be different lengths/sizes

I don't remember the exact part numbers but here is a good summary.
http://www.esmhome.org/library/o2-sensor/o2nonfouler.pdf

RioRed4v

Established Member
Can Ford see access to the ECU? I know when I had my Subaru and used the Cobb Accessport on it, similar to SCT hand loader, it stored the stock tune and stock ECU count so uninstalling the device effectively wrote the ecu back to the state it was before the tune thereby making it invisible to Subaru. I know it wasn't visible b/c I had warranty claims and put the car to stock and they fixed them no questions asked.

I don't remember the exact part numbers but here is a good summary.
http://www.esmhome.org/library/o2-sensor/o2nonfouler.pdf

I'm not sure what all Ford can see, but I had read that they could see if it was flashed and how many times, etc. It sounded similar to what I had read on Subie forums when I had my STi, in that they can't necessarily see what the mod was, but that they can see that it was reflashed. Everything I had read on the forums was that even the Accessport would void the warranty, but only on certain things (i.e. blown turbo, motor, etc). Down the road I'll still probably do a tuner, but I want to make sure everything seems good with the car for awhile.

Thanks for the link. Might actually give this a shot:burnout:

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Well I had the famed #4 failure on my STI while running flashed to Stage 2; catless turbo back exhaust, intake, and custom tune on the Cobb. I returned everything to stock ran the car on the returned to stock tune to get rid of the readiness codes and then dropped at the dealer.

Don't be scared of the foulers if that's the route your taking. Takes all of 15 minutes to drill out the one for clearance then just thread the two together with some thread seal install into pipe then screw in the sensor. It's super easy.

Last edited:

RioRed4v

Established Member
Well I had the famed #4 failure on my STI while running flashed to Stage 2; catless turbo back exhaust, intake, and custom tune on the Cobb. I returned everything to stock ran the car on the returned to stock tune to get rid of the readiness codes and then dropped at the dealer.

Don't be scared of the foulers if that's the route your taking. Takes all of 15 minutes to drill out the one for clearance then just thread the two together with some thread seal install into pipe then screw in the sensor. It's super easy.

Damn.. you had a nice dealer. On that note too, I've heard the warranty stuff with Subaru is very dependent on dealer. Seems some are horrible and others will tell you to kick rocks. In the end, as long as the car is repaired, thats all I'm concerned with lol.

I guess my only concern with the foulers is just how much fuel is being dumped down the pipes. I like that I can still gain some power without the cats and I'm a bit curious just how rediculously loud it might be with no cats. I might still pick them up and give it a shot to "just see".

Slegos888

Established Member
Just to update. I improved my stock best 12.99@108 to a 12.58@112. Very impressed with those results, however on my last run of the night I had terrible wheel spin and while trying to get out of it lost control, spun 180* and rammed the wall it spun some more hitting again in the rear. Car is basically totalled, estimate is $14k to fix. So now I have 6 years of $500 payments on a hunk of junk.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
Just to update. I improved my stock best 12.99@108 to a 12.58@112. Very impressed with those results, however on my last run of the night I had terrible wheel spin and while trying to get out of it lost control, spun 180* and rammed the wall it spun some more hitting again in the rear. Car is basically totalled, estimate is $14k to fix. So now I have 6 years of $500 payments on a hunk of junk.

20771060.jpg

Sorry to hear.

dare i ask...pics?

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member

Need pics! Sorry to hear about the car!

He would have had to have full coverage if he is making payments on it.

acrbill

Established Member
It does however cover when your car finds its way into a ditch right outside the track entrance....

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
for riored4v it's easy to do. The anti-fouler I used was from O'reilly's auto parts, You need 2 packs of 2 (4 anti-foulers total)

one set you need drill the hole out to 1/2 inch so the o2 sensor can fit. When I tried just using one in each hole it ended up throwing a CEL, so (from reading around) I used a 2nd anti-fouler on each sensor and so far no CEL.

this is what you need, it's the 18mm one

antifouler.jpg

and you DON'T need to drill the 2nd one... so from the x pipe (or h pipe) you put the NOT drilled one in, then the drilled one in, then the sensor... hope that makes sense.

and Slegos I'm sorry.. that sucks

Users who are viewing this thread