Cat Delete mod and FUMES!

ArabianOak

Established Member
Hey gang,

I got the cat deletes a few weeks ago and have noticed the fume smell is very strong in my cabin. The side exhaust is definetly pushing alot more exhaust since removing the cats but the smell is pretty bad inside the cabin even while moving, especially if the windows are up.

I would assume since the side exhaust is pushing so much more exhaust with the deletes, this would be where my smell is coming from, but wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this with the cat deletes??

I checked for leaks but have found nothing. Should it really be this fumey just with the cat deletes?

thanks!

86Fbody

Established Member
I was going to say that you might have a leak possibly from the cat delete to the headers or cat delete to the h-pipe. I don't think the smell you are getting is from the side exits since they are close to rear tires. How did you check for leaks?

65sohc

Established Member
It's the side pipes. I guess you need to decide how many brain cells are worth 10 hp.

NOGI88

Established Member
i hated the fumes when i first put my o/r x pipe on. i considered putting the the factory mid pipe back on. after awhile i just got used to it and it didn't bother me anymore. i'd just give it time and you'll get used to it.

fleshmcfilth123

Established Member
Embrace it, love it, enjoy it. It's what fast cars smell like and eventually you won't want to own a car unless it smells like that.

ArabianOak

Established Member
Where does the smell come from if there are no leaks? Is it really the side pipes? Did the cats really prevent all of those fumes?

svt1111

Established Member
This is the exact reason why I didn't install the delete pipes I have had in my basement since winter. Also why I haven't had the side pipes fabbed up to my off road X pipe yet.

I think the smell from the exhaust will drown out the cabin too much. If the car was an old muscle car, I'd say "who cares" but when driving around a car your making payments on, smelling like exhaust to me isn't cool. The smell from the off road X pipe really isn't bad because it's mostly behind the car. I'd rather smell that than hot, stinky cats any day.

scott_0

Established Member
Where does the smell come from if there are no leaks? Is it really the side pipes? Did the cats really prevent all of those fumes?
yes the cats prevent those fumes, its simply a fact of life if you choose to go catless. you really need to google what catalytic converters do to understand.

65sohc

Established Member
New cars burn so clean that in certain conditions the exhaust is actually cleaner than the air going into the intake. When ETOH burns the byproducts are harmless CO2 and H2O. What stinks when gasoline burns on a catless engine are the unburned hydrocarbons. Since E85 is 85% ETOH it burns much cleaner than straight gas. It sucks that I live in the center of the "clean air state" and there isn't an E85 station within 200 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread