Carbon Fiber Hood - Yes or No

HoosierDave

My other car is 03 Cobra
Established Member
Saw this today on an 03. It was a stock shaped hood but made with the Carbon Fiber look. I'm not feeling it. :nonono: What do you guys think?

Spoolx

Established Member
I think if its left looking like carbon fiber than its ricey, especially on a street car.

SlowSVT

Established Member
The only reason I see in getting one is to take weight off the nose of the car. The problem is they use a fiberglass support structure under the CF which makes it heavy again. I weighed my stock hood in at 34 lbs. I think the VIS CF hood is about 22 lbs. which is not a whole lot of weight savings plus the resin in CF is prone to cracking and will require hood pins. Not sure about the fit and finish. My understanding is they arn't too bad. I would paint it anyhow. The plastic stock hood is pretty strong and not very heavy to begin with. I wish Ford stamped it out of aluminum.

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
pretty sure my Kaenan 3in fiberglass cowl hood weighs less then the VIS because of the reinforcement.

I know Jake(badass03svt) just got a Carbon Fiber cowl hood to help with weight but idk how big of a difference it was.

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
i only put one on mine because i thought it looked unique and it's not too noticeable with my DSG paint....i wouldn't have done it on any other color without it being painted though...

photo-2.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I like stuff to look good.
I like stuff to be functional.

Those two can be combined.

The hood you described I would categorize as FLUFF, IE: looks only and fake cool factor(lightness is a cool factor).

There are two versions of THIS hood available,
Tiger-Racing
hood2_small.jpg

one is glass, one is real CF.
I really, REALLY, REALLY like this hood, not so much that it looks like a real road race hood( which makes it look cool to me) but more because this hood is hard core FUNCTIONAL! IT IS A REAL ROAD RACE HOOD! It provides massive post radiator pressure evacuation(compared to our current vents) and fairly significant frontal down force even without the use of a splitter.

I bet I could run at my current power level and not over heat with this hood, I might even be able to keep my stock oil cooler, OK that last bit is probably dreaming.

Last edited:

Spoolx

Established Member
lol yea, I hate when people say they did a CF hood for weight savings... just an excuse to get a ricer hood

SlowSVT

Established Member
lol yea, I hate when people say they did a CF hood for weight savings... just an excuse to get a ricer hood

........and they better paint it or the sun is going to break down the resin and make it look like hell. I don't care for unpainted CF body panels. The ricer look on a Cobra is embarrassing.

:nonono:

SlowSVT

Established Member
I like stuff to look good.
I like stuff to be functional.

Those two can be combined.

The hood you described I would categorize as FLUFF, IE: looks only and fake cool factor(lightness is a cool factor).

There are two versions of THIS hood available,
Tiger-Racing
hood2_small.jpg

one is glass, one is real CF.
I really, REALLY, REALLY like this hood, not so much that it looks like a real road race hood( which makes it look cool to me) but more because this hood is hard core FUNCTIONAL! IT IS A REAL ROAD RACE HOOD! It provides massive post radiator pressure evacuation(compared to our current vents) and fairly significant frontal down force even without the use of a splitter.

I bet I could run at my current power level and not over heat with this hood, I might even be able to keep my stock oil cooler, OK that last bit is probably dreaming.

Jimmy

If Tiger could make a stock replacement full CF hood with deeper extractors I would be all over that. I think those are "lift-off" only though. Too light for a hinged hood for "drop & lock" plus if they miss the pins the CF won't like it.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmy

If Tiger could make a stock replacement full CF hood with deeper extractors I would be all over that. I think those are "lift-off" only though. Too light for a hinged hood for "drop & lock" plus if they miss the pins the CF won't like it.

You are correct, to make them as light as possible both versions ARE lift offs.

I have seen guys with fab or body skills merge a junk yard V6 hood frame with one of these and create a full function street version that tolerated both a hood latch and hinges. I think I would still pin it though.

If there was more market for them, they could probably be talked into making a street version, but a huge number of Mustang guys still get MAJOR WOOD over cowl hoods, and fake ram air hoods, so I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon. It is quite unfortunate.:nonono:
You must admit, certainly not all, but a quite lot of our guys are not exactly cutting edge, and up on current race car aero and cooling tech.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Why is a carbon fiber hood labeled "ricer"? Seems that whenever a mod is posted that goes against the common grain it gets labeled "ricer". There is absolutely nothing wrong with a regular carbon fiber hood if that is the look the owner is going for. No different IMO than adding carbon fiber interior components. Actually, a 10th Anniversary Cobra (which already has a few carbon fiber look parts on the inside) could look nice with a carbon fiber hood, depending on the exterior paint color.

That hood that Jimmy likes is one of the best looking hoods I've yet see. And it being functional is a big plus for sure. But we all know that some owners place looks/personal taste to functionality. :)

DevilSun

Established Member
I had a textual conversation with Tiger Racing about two weeks back regarding that hood...indeed lift-off only right now, but he told me they are working on a "street" version that would use at least the rear hood hinges, no time-frame though...as it may be a spin-off or afterthought due to the 302R hood they're doing.

I'm not sure why it would need deeper extractors, the replacement of the vents and design makes them much more functional than ours stock.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I had a textual conversation with Tiger Racing about two weeks back regarding that hood...indeed lift-off only right now, but he told me they are working on a "street" version that would use at least the rear hood hinges, no time-frame though...as it may be a spin-off or afterthought due to the 302R hood they're doing.

I'm not sure why it would need deeper extractors, the replacement of the vents and design makes them much more functional than ours stock.

I agree that the louvered vents are probably more functional then the extractor hood but most of our cars are not drifting thru a series of tight S bends and hammering down the straights at WOT. I can't get past the shark grill hood and think the factory hood compliments our cars very well. Jimmy is right though, function before "form" for him is the order of the day.

Please "Text" Tiger back and ask them if they would consider replicating the Terminator hood in full CF that is not fragile with deep extractors. For every Cobra R hood they make they will sell 20 CF Terminator hoods guaranteed! They won't be able to make them fast enough. Have them keep it under 20 lbs (15 would be a HOOT). After all, they are in the business to make "money" and not to please some "rode race Ho" who's only goal is to burn rubber and rotors off his car as quickly as possible!.......sorry Jimmy, screw you! :D

Last edited:

DevilSun

Established Member
Oh, I get what you're saying now. I thought you wanted them to make theirs deeper, in reality you just were stating that a more production like version of our hood but with deeper extraction like race_bronco's modded hoods.

If their current hood used the stock hood hinges, I'd have one in my garage right now :) even without an engine in the car.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Oh, I get what you're saying now. I thought you wanted them to make theirs deeper, in reality you just were stating that a more production like version of our hood but with deeper extraction like race_bronco's modded hoods.

EXACTLY!

Looking at Carlos's car you would swear he didn't build it........ "Q" built it!

If their current hood used the stock hood hinges, I'd have one in my garage right now :) even without an engine in the car.

:lol:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Please "Text" Tiger back and ask them if they would consider replicating the Terminator hood in full CF that is not fragile with deep extractors. For every Cobra R hood they make they will sell 20 CF Terminator hoods guaranteed! They won't be able to make them fast enough. Have them keep it under 20 lbs (15 would be a HOOT). After all, they are in the business to make "money" and not to please some "rode race Ho" who's only goal is to burn rubber and rotors off his car as quickly as possible!.......sorry Jimmy, screw you! :D

BANNED!:bash:

Just kidding!:-D

I like the multi-louvered grille's looks better than the Carlos style deep vent hood.

If someone could do one that had blower snout and pulley clearance that looked more like the Ford GT I might like that, it would be like the deep vent version only with wider vents.

2005_ford_gt_radiator_vent_2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread