Car seems slow!

lawdog302

Lets roll with it
Established Member
The car is stock except for the K&N and the Borla catback. I've been really happy with the power until I put the Borlas on and now it seems like I've lost power. Maybe it is just the hot weather and the tires hooking, but it won't even break the tires loose in first. Has anyone else experienced a loss of power with a catback? It dynoed at 386/377 completly stock, Maybe it is time for a pulley. I have heard that you lose some back pressure and a little boost/low end. Just looking for opinions and related experience. :bash:

Romans8:28

Established Member
How long have you owned the car?

Reason I ask is that if it is your first "summer" with the car, you may just be experiencing significant heat soak for the first time. Hot, humid summer weather can drastically affect the power output in these cars.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
How many miles? Stock clutch? Even with heat soak and being mostly stock, you should still be able to break it loose in first. Clutch slipping?

lawdog302

Lets roll with it
Established Member
I've owned it since new. Has 12,000 on it. I usually see a difference in the summer, just not as bad as this summer. Don't get me wrong, it still seems pretty strong. I don't think there is any slipping on the clutch. During the winter first and second are useless as well as breaking loose in 3rd at around 80 a few times. I want to pulley this dude, just trying to save some money for a different project car as well. Maybe it is time to pull the trigger. Also the cat back has only been on since about january, so this is my first summer with exhaust.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Have you ever changed the fuel filter?I just did mine a while back at 15K,it was nasty.The car even felt stronger afterwards.

lawdog302

Lets roll with it
Established Member
Have you ever changed the fuel filter?I just did mine a while back at 15K,it was nasty.The car even felt stronger afterwards.

I replaced a few months ago when i did the catback, IRS brace and resealed the Rearend. Seamed like the best time to do it. I really want to get the 2.76 and idlers next and have it tuned.

KILRSVT

Established Member
well maybe its the reduction of low end torque is what you are feeling the borlas due flow more than the stock mufflers. plus the hot weather due make the car seem slower due to the high iats's....time for a pulley and a heat exchanger.

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
my car has all the stock pullies on it and the wrong fuel pump in that runs out of fuel at top end and I have no issues burning the tires up in 1st gear down here in south Texas in 95-100 degrees. I have 50% worn 285/35 R18 Michelin Pilot Sports and 373 gear with soft suspension.

what tires are on your car now ?

lawdog302

Lets roll with it
Established Member
They are stock tires. I can light them up it i want to drop the clutch. Just not used to nailing in 1st and hooking just about every time. I did rotate the tires and the there is quite a bit more tread in the back now as well. Just don't remember that being an issue before either.

I think it must be a loss of low end due to free flowing catback and the hotter weather. I guess I'm just singing the blues. lol!

gt347mustang

Established Member
Make sure your intercooler pump is working properly!

Do you have a predator or something to datalog with?

lawdog302

Lets roll with it
Established Member
Make sure your intercooler pump is working properly!

Do you have a predator or something to datalog with?

Nope! That is why i've been holding off on the pulley since i will have to buy a tune as well. I think the dyno shop sells the sct stuff. So that will be $1000 by the time I get the pulleys and a tune. Just not wanting to let go of that yet. :bash::whine:

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
Nope! That is why i've been holding off on the pulley since i will have to buy a tune as well. I think the dyno shop sells the sct stuff. So that will be $1000 by the time I get the pulleys and a tune. Just not wanting to let go of that yet. :bash::whine:

then you will deal with the power you got untill you decide to drop the ball on getting a pully/tune:shrug:

MaCaNs

Filth, Flarn, Filth
Established Member
Maybe you just can't drive?

Misc-OhSnap_Bear.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread