Car rental?

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
Who do you guys normally rent cars from? And what's the price you are charged per/day? I'll be in South Carolina for a couple days and need to rent a car.

Thanks

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Go online and search. When I rent it is from whomever provides me the type of car I want for the best price. I have rented from Enterprise, Budget, Avis, and Alamo.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I've used Hertz, Enterprise, Budget, Dollar, Alamo.

Depends on:
1) What you want to drive?
2) How long you are renting for?
3) What airport are renting from? The cars/trucks varies greatly between cities.

Check with your insurance company to make sure you're covered to drive a rental, so you don't have to buy their insurance.

I make reservations, then when I get go to rent, I check to see who has the best deal at that airport. Often, you can cut a better deal standing at the actual rental desk than online.
I've done especially well getting upgraded vehicles for the same price as a small to mid.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
All this year I've stuck with Hertz. Signed up for their gold program and the wife drives for free. They have an office a few miles from my house, so it's good to be close.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
I use to go with Enterprise and switched to Hertz a few years ago. Hertz gives a slightly better deal in my area.

GRUSE

Established Member
Some High end dealerships have have rental agencies on premises since high end customers don't want to take the shuttle van.Had a reservation for enterprise at another location,stopped into the JAG dealership enterprise rental car office.The kid at the counter honored the reservation and hooked me up with a Town Car for the economy price.
So look for a BMW,Jag,Caddy or Benz dealership with a rental car company attached,you may roll out with a good upgrade for the same price.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Usually use enterprise for business. 2 weeks ago used national for the first time. Was at ATL airport so they might all do this, but I really liked how you could choose any car in the row.

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
I just need it for 3 days for an interview. I'm looking for the cheapest deal, car doesn't matter. I've searched online avg price is around $40/50 a day plus their fees. I tried Enterprise but they said they don't have any cars available at any of their 5 locations nearby. I thought that was a little strange?
Thanks for the tips everyone.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Hands down best rental car company I've used (if you're the one paying for it) is Advantage. http://www.advantage.com/

They are a small agency so not every airport will have one. Last time I used Advantage I landed in LAX and picked up a car for 9 days. I had a "standard" 4 door, with taxes and all the BS my bill was still only about $140. For comparison, Hertz, even with my AAA Premier discount (AAA works exclusively with Hertz) and taking a smaller focus, I was still going to pay almost $400. All Advantage rentals are unlimited mileage.

I didn't end up with the 4 door because they upgraded me when I got there and gave me a new turbo DSG Beetle convertible. Not exactly an upgrade to me but the car was fun, I beat the piss out of it. The staff was laid back I had them note a few scratches when I took the car and the rep said as long as the headlights weren't hanging out when I brought it back I'll be fine. I put about 1200 miles on the beetle, I remember thinking it would probably be cheaper to continually rent it than to buy one driving like I was. After the first time you rent from them they send you a long term offer for a free weekend rental. I sound like I work for them or something, it's just so good for the price that it deserves it.

Last edited:

cobra_neill

Established Member
Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Relay rides is hands down the best value. Its a rental company that uses peoples spare cars. You go online, search through peoples cars or trucks, speak to the owner. Put a $250 deposit for damages and pay the advertised price for each day needed. The company releases the money to the owner and the deposit back to yourself once you are both satisfied that the vehicle comes back in the condition it left in.

We used a 2013 f150 for $200 the whole week on our Texas vacation. Prices vary but you can choose from any car you want!

icepic

Established Member
Take a look at Auto Slash www.autoslash.com

They check rates for the vehicle you want to rent from all the rental companies. Once you select and reserve a vehicle they monitor your reservation and if the price goes down they automatically change your reservation for the lower price and send you an email. You don't pay Auto Slash, you pay the rental company when your rental is done.

I needed an SUV for a Sunday to Sunday rental. Auto Slash showed Avis to have the best rate at $523.00 for the entire rental. Auto Slash changed my reservation 3 times (still with Avis and still an SUV). My final rental price for the Ford Explorer was $180.00 for the total rental (declined all additional coverage as my insurance policy covers it). I was even able to check on my reservation on Avis's web site.

It's worth a look.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Used to always go Enterprise. Now I use National. Better rates & much better process.

Blown 89

Established Member
If you can rent one through the airline you fly with. They broker lower rates directly with the rental companies.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
The best way is to google discount codes. A quick glance shows Avis calls it a "AWD Number" and Enterprise calls it a promotional code. I've easily cut my rates in half via 10 minutes on google.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've used Hertz, Enterprise, Budget, Dollar, Alamo.

Depends on:
1) What you want to drive?
2) How long you are renting for?
3) What airport are renting from? The cars/trucks varies greatly between cities.

Check with your insurance company to make sure you're covered to drive a rental, so you don't have to buy their insurance.

I make reservations, then when I get go to rent, I check to see who has the best deal at that airport. Often, you can cut a better deal standing at the actual rental desk than online.
I've done especially well getting upgraded vehicles for the same price as a small to mid.

THIS! But....be aware that if you DO have an accident that a claim could mean a premium increase. And if you think your credit card provides rental car insurance, make sure that it isn't secondary coverage, meaning that you'd have to put a primary claim against your auto policy. Been there.....done that. :(

Having had to put in a claim to my insurance company on a summer rental accident, I will absolutely NEVER decline the rental car insurance again. Yes, it's an added expense, but if you need to use it you'll be happy you have it. Especially knowing that your insurance premium won't increase since no claim was made against your policy. Just something to think about.

01GTB

Established Member

Never_Enough

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread