Car Painters, I Need Your Expertise

bird_dog0347

Established Member
Any of you guys ever regret painting? Like, you got done with your first job and said, that sucks, I don't want to do that ever again.
I've got someone that is trying to talk me out of painting. Saying I'll not be satisfied with the results etc etc.
I'm just looking to expand my skill set and I think painting would be a great thing to be able to do.
I don't think so, at least not for me... I mean, it was a TON of work and getting done with all the prep I was thinking "this shit better be worth it!", but once you see the color on there in the sun the first time it was all worth it!

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
You absolutely don't need a spray booth. The only necessity is to wet the floor and have everything as dust free as possible. Typically I'll have cross ventilation. Meaning a window fan in one window blowing outward and another window opened with a furnace filter in it. I've also used Gutter stuff between the garage door and the floor. Wetting the floor is key. I don't buy from eastwood's. Por 15 products all the way, time tested with us......nothing better.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Also, I forget what they are called, but the rags that are infused with wax I believe it is? You wipe down the car after it is primered and it grabs any dirt stuck to the surface. Those are really useful.

Everything else mentioned above is spot on. Water is great for catching particles in the air. I had one painter who utilized the entire shop to paint multiple cars so he had to preittye area for an ideal outcome given it was used throughout the day for body repairs which obviously creates a lot of dust and dirt so he rigged up PVC pipes with holes drilled in them and then hooked up a hose that would keep running water flowing over the entire floor so it would ensure catching as much debris as possible and flushing it out.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Also, I forget what they are called, but the rags that are infused with wax I believe it is? You wipe down the car after it is primered and it grabs any dirt stuck to the surface. Those are really useful.

Everything else mentioned above is spot on. Water is great for catching particles in the air. I had one painter who utilized the entire shop to paint multiple cars so he had to preittye area for an ideal outcome given it was used throughout the day for body repairs which obviously creates a lot of dust and dirt so he rigged up PVC pipes with holes drilled in them and then hooked up a hose that would keep running water flowing over the entire floor so it would ensure catching as much debris as possible and flushing it out.
Tack rags.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
The wet floor is a great idea, but doesn't really work in my situation. I could possibly mist it down, but I'm going to have a coated floor and it may become quite slippery. Took another good look at those inflatable booths. Really considering one for the ease and convenience. I'll call one of the companies in the morning to ask some questions.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The wet floor is a great idea, but doesn't really work in my situation. I could possibly mist it down, but I'm going to have a coated floor and it may become quite slippery. Took another good look at those inflatable booths. Really considering one for the ease and convenience. I'll call one of the companies in the morning to ask some questions.

I wouldn't say you necessarily need running water like they did as that was on regular concrete floors, but it worked for that occasion and environment. Spraying down the paint booth with water beforehand definitely helps a lot though.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I wouldn't do it anymore, my garage floor is too nice.
Floor 1.jpg

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Man, all I can say is I love this thread. Lot's of great information and it has been fun to participate in as well. (y)
Me too.

Like I initially said, I dabbled in bodywork 40+ years ago. I had a '68 Cougar that I discovered had a rear quarter replaced at some time. The filler was so thick it cracked and rust was coming out. I tried to fix it, but there's no fixing a bad panel replacement.

I really appreciate the advice and experience from you guys. It will cut down on a lot of mistakes on my end.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Maybe it's just the picture here, but is your Heli hung UNDER your garage door? I keep my RC stuff hung in the garage but where yours is in that pic makes it look like the door would hit whatever it's hanging from when it goes up.
Illusion. That's the small one. It's on the very back of the door track. One of the others is by the fridge/hot water tank. A few inside the back spare bedroom.
Cabinets.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread