car and driver

swyss

Established Member
Seems like a bad sign when the manual trans has to be integrated at a later date. Especially if the chassis has been around for a while...300, Charger etc.

chuckstang

Established Member
I thought the same thing when they did a 03 Cobra vs. GT 500 comparision. Lol

Except they would be correct in that the 03 was built on a 20 plus year old archaic chassis.

C&D is comparing a one year old car that still destroys the new Challenger and will to the Camaro at least for now, but I don't see Ford falling behind again.

cheftjpeck

Established Member
the article was total BS. its funny, I seen one here and the owner must believe the hype as he was trying to claim to people that the challenger had 600hp...I was like not....more like 425....plus the hood is like 4 inches thick in the front..what gives with that?? I will take any gt500 ./....heck any GT over the challenger anyday...PS: that challenger interior is FUGLY...

SlowSVT

Established Member
Except they would be correct in that the 03 was built on a 20 plus year old archaic chassis.

C&D is comparing a one year old car that still destroys the new Challenger and will to the Camaro at least for now, but I don't see Ford falling behind again.

When is production slated to begin? They are going to loose their shirts on this rollout There won't be enough buyers to justify the expense (same thing with the Camaro).

The Challenger is a nice looking car. The Camaro's interior looks like something out of the Jetson's :nonono: I would take a GT500 over either of them.

cheftjpeck

Established Member
When is production slated to begin? They are going to loose their shirts on this rollout There won't be enough buyers to justify the expense (same thing with the Camaro).

The Challenger is a nice looking car. The Camaro's interior looks like something out of the Jetson's :nonono: I would take a GT500 over either of them.

the challengers are already out the camaro is slated for production as of Feb 2009....I think chevy missed the boat...

SlowSVT

Established Member
the challengers are already out the camaro is slated for production as of Feb 2009....I think chevy missed the boat...

I stand corrected

Called a Dodge dealer in Costa Mesa. They're getting one on the 30th of June. Rumor had it you could only get a slushbox in the SRT8. Web site list the 6 speed as an option. They will sell every car they make on the first run. After that, who knows? I hope they do well.

I loved the looks of my 72......hated everything else :nonono:

cheftjpeck

Established Member
I stand corrected

Called a Dodge dealer in Costa Mesa. They're getting one on the 30th of June. Rumor had it you could only get a slushbox in the SRT8. Web site list the 6 speed as an option. They will sell every car they make on the first run. After that, who knows? I hope they do well.

I loved the looks of my 72......hated everything else :nonono:

yes, the slushbox is the only option avail in the 08 model;the 09 model will ahve 6 speed option and also 3.90 gears I believe

Captain Beyond

Established Member

The Challengers are already out. I saw an orange one last week. I must say, that it looked good, real good. :thumbsup: It would look better with wider tires though. It still looks much better than the Camaro, which IMO will look like ass. :bored:

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
The Challengers are already out. I saw an orange one last week. I must say, that it looked good, real good. :thumbsup: It would look better with wider tires though. It still looks much better than the Camaro, which IMO will look like ass. :bored:

+1

The 4200 lb. 116" wheelbase will make that car drive like a Greyhound bus. Nice looking though. I think it's basically a reskinned 300

The Camaro: :xpl: That car tries too hard to get attention. I would be embarressed to own one.

Either car would be a distant choice over a GT500

Formula51

Established Member
Have either of you guys seen a Camaro prototype or pre-production car in person? I am curious if your opinions come just from pictures.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Have either of you guys seen a Camaro prototype or pre-production car in person? I am curious if your opinions come just from pictures.

Just from pics. :bored: The concepts almost always look better than the actual production models. IMO GM did a half-ass retro job on the Camaro. Say what you want about retro, but retro sells right now. The 67-69 models were among the best looking of the pony/musclecars. I can't believe GM didn't fully capitalize on that. You can't argue with the success of the current Mustang. Hopefully, the new Challenger will also enjoy success. I saw one last week and I have to admit that it was a kick-ass looking machine. It's even more retro looking than my GT500.:eek: Let's just hope that Dodge and GM didn't come to the party too late with our current economic situation. :beer:

Last edited:

FiaCobra

Established Member

I saw both in NY. While the Challenger looks great, i'll take the better looking, lighter, and faster GT-500.

As for the Camaro, it places 3rd in looks. That's all i know about that car as of now.

Users who are viewing this thread