Canton Oil Pan

fjules

Established Member
I had a Canton 7qt oil pan installed. It is model 15-784. The installer mentioned that I would also need a longer dip stick. I didnt think much of it at the time and he put in a longer dip stick. Thinking more about it, not sure why a longer dip stick would be needed. The oil level should still be the same distance from say the engine block regardless of the pan, right? If the oil level was lower then the stock level then the pickup may have problems, right? Am I missing something here?

Also, can someone measure the length of the stock dip stick? Meause from the base of the handle to the tip, basically measure the length of the metal stick part. Thanks!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Most aftermarket oil pans require a dipstick and new pick up to go along with it.

It will not necessarily have the same oil level.

If it is manufactured for 7 quarts, then you will have to put the dipstick that goes with it, then put 7 quarts in and run the car. Then when the oil settles, you will have to "Mark" the dipstick yourself for the correct level.

fjules

Established Member
Canton website indicates that this pan works with the stock pickup. Wouldnt that mean the stock oil level will be maintained?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Canton website indicates that this pan works with the stock pickup. Wouldnt that mean the stock oil level will be maintained?
Possibly so then. But unless the dip stick is in the same location as the stock one, then the level will be different.

Heck, even stock dip sticks are not accurate.

fjules

Established Member
Sleeper,
Any chnace you can measure the stock dip stick length for me? Measure just the metal rod under the handle.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I used the stock dipstick with my Canton oil pan and windage tray. It's like you said I want to maintain the same oil level in relation to the block so I can't see why you would need to change the dipstick (I do find that it holds more than 7qts. though).

Users who are viewing this thread