Canton Oil Pan and 03 Convertible

Quick Strike

Established Member
I found out that the crossmember on the 03 convertible needs to be modified to use a Canton extra capasity oil pan. The crossmember neeeds to be modified like this:

Cobra%20100505%20Cross%20Mod.JPG

Installed, it looks like this:

Cobra%20105050%20Cross%20in%20Place.JPG

I hope this helps anyone thinking about this pan for their convertible.

Cobra_Meth

Established Member
I have a canton oil pan on my vert and wish I never did it. It seeps quite a bit. Does yours leak at all?

Quick Strike

Established Member
I have a canton oil pan on my vert and wish I never did it. It seeps quite a bit. Does yours leak at all?

I can't say yet. I have the empty block and trans in place to mock the pan and header placement. Once that is done, I will take it out and assemble it with the new 2.8H Kenne Bell!

Quick Strike

Established Member
Update: The modified crossmember works with the Kooks headers, and the headers work with the Canton pan! I am not sure when to put the starter in, but I know it is too late after the trans is installed. It will need an aftermarket steering shaft. Now, I can take it all apart and assemble it all for real.

Cobra%20100514%20Pan%20Headers%20Cross.jpg

Another angle:

Cobra%20100515%20HDS%20CM%20PN.jpg

Last edited:

cobra=trouble

Established Member
thanks for the pic . no canton pan here but nice mod. job you did.
so in this pic here you didn't have to mod. it with the l/t's

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
No vert here, but I love my Canto RR oil pan!
It's kept me for oil starving in hard corners with DOT slicks, and even on high banking. Seeping on mine is extremely minor due to the inferior plug design with copper gaskets. A non-issue for me.

Also generally speaking more oil is better than less oil, which evidently Ford also thinks this, and you only just need to look at the oil pans on the new 5.0s and BOSS.:rockon:

DOHC 4.6 engines even on the flat, can pump the oil pan very low if the high rpm pull lasts long enough, our drain back issues are very well documented, and I'm sure played a role in the re-design on the 5.0 heads which have HUGE drain backs!

Quick Strike

Established Member
thanks for the pic . no canton pan here but nice mod. job you did.
so in this pic here you didn't have to mod. it with the l/t's

There was lots of cutting and welding on the crossmember to clear the pan, but none to clear the headers. I was sure they were going to hit the crossmember and was very suprised when they did not. I can get the wide part of my index finger between the header and crossmember (when cold!).

There are no pan leaks. I only used one gasket under the windage tray and sealed the windage tray to the block with sealent. You have to be careful to remove the tabs on the gasket that will be in the way of a good seal. You will see them when you test fit the gasket. I used my trusty Makita grinder.

Last edited:

04screamingvert

Established Member
What type of header are you using ? Verts and headers - trouble i have been told. They look like they fit very well !

Quick Strike

Established Member
What type of header are you using ? Verts and headers - trouble i have been told. They look like they fit very well !

They are Kooks 1 3/4" stepped headers to 1 7/8" with a 3" collector for the four valve 4.6L (PN# 6004S). I also used their 3" catted midpipe that ends in an OEM ball (PN# 6016). That is fitted to the FR500 catback. I have some pictures of the system in this thread. It all fit great, but I did need an aftermarket steering shaft to clear the headers.

Last edited:

DevilSun

Established Member
I don't experience any seepage with my Canton??

Funny I just noticed Canton have changed the location of the drain plug, mine faces the back not the driver side like yours...

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc173/TT03Cobra/CIMG2842.jpg
My drain plug is direct center facing back like yours is. Mine is also the RR pan, not sure if the OPs is. If it were on the side like OPs, then I wouldn't have to take a small brace of my MM kmember just to change oil, the price we pay for bad a$$ stuff :)

Quick Strike

Established Member
My drain plug is direct center facing back like yours is. Mine is also the RR pan, not sure if the OPs is. If it were on the side like OPs, then I wouldn't have to take a small brace of my MM kmember just to change oil, the price we pay for bad a$$ stuff :)

Mine is the pan with the 4 trap door baffles (one on each side on the pick up tube). It is part # 15-784 here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread