Can you change clutch without removing bell housing?

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
Like the title says... is it possible to change the clutch withOUT removing the bell housing???

those top two bolts are going to be HELL...

So why can't I just remove the tranny from the bell housing and leave the bell housing attached to the motor?

With two people, shouldn't I be able to reach inside to remove the old clutch and replace with a new one???

sure would save me some trouble :bash:

Please let me know if you have any experience with this... will be heading outside in a bit to pull the tranny... :beer:

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
once you pull the trans, you will have plenty of room to get to those hard to get bellhousing bolts.

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
once you pull the trans, you will have plenty of room to get to those hard to get bellhousing bolts.

Cool man... I'm going down there and if they are still hard to get to, you're coming over to help remove them... don't worry... i have beer :beer:

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
Cool man... I'm going down there and if they are still hard to get to, you're coming over to help remove them... don't worry... i have beer :beer:
lol. yeah, you will be fine once you get that trans removed from the bellhousing. I always did it that way.

futureSVT

Established Member
yea once you get the trans out the bellhousing is a snap. well other then the top starter bolt. F that. lol

Black Sex

Established Member
I jack the front of the motor up alittle bit then I have total access to them. I can even see them. I have a good Mac wobbly socket though. Not those cheap Craftsmen swivels that always break or bind up. I could never get the trans off the bellhousing because of the vent tube is right infront of one of the bolts. Anyone remove the vent tube and put a rubber hose on it and reroute it somewhere else? That Mac wobbly comes in handy to put that third starter bolt in. Some people say you dont need the best tools but sometimes they come in handy. I can have the trans out in 2hrs laying on my back.

Jefe

Established Member
Get a few extensions and a swivel u joint

divided

Established Member
I actually just got back form helping Suaveflooder swap his clutch. To answer your question there is no way to swap the clutch without removing the bellhousing. You are right the top 2 bolts are a bitch. Somehow one of his was stripped and we had to get a socket extractor socket to remove it. So be careful trying to take the 2 bolts off. Without seeing them its real easy to strip them out. It worked best when we wedged a crowbar between the bell housing and car to push it down to get better access to the bolts. I'm sure there are better ways, but it worked for us.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
^^^thanks for your help again, mang! Having a second set of hands made it a TON easier!! See you tomorrow!

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
If you have long tube headers, take a 2x4 or a 1x4 and wedge it between the uppermost primary and the body on the passenger side. this will angle the engine down and make getting those two top bolts easy. As for the vent tube, the same thing applies. Use a long extension with a swivel and shallow socket. While you're trying to get the socket on the bolt, reach up with your free hand and finger**** the vent tube out of the way... this will be impossible if you dont remove the tranny crossmember and let the tranny fall just about to the motor mounts' limits. Oh yeah, never ever put the starter top bolt back in. That thing is Satans spawn. As soon as you take that bolt out, hit it all along the threads with a ballpeen hammer and bury it in the backyard somewhere you'll easily forget.

Users who are viewing this thread