Can someone look at my log?

Wayne64SS

Established Member
I datalogged my car for the first time last night @ the track. The run i logged was horrible due to traction issues, but you can at least see what the car is doing once it bites.

Mods are UPR o/r x, bassani catback, k&n fipk, & out of box sct tune for 93. I don't really know what to look at ... can someone take a peek and tell me how it looks?

Also any tips on what you guys are logging and what to look for would be great!

I really wish i could see my A/F ratio!!

Anyway post your email and i'll email the file, or pm me if you don't want your email out in the open. Thanks in advance! :beer:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Wayne, I took a look at the file and figured I'd just post up what my "average" experienced datalogging eye sees.......

Looks like your burnout lasted for a little over 5 seconds (line #1103 to line #1232), and the RPM range looks like you did your burnout in 1st gear. You started your launch at 2,732 RPM (line #1871), and you're right: tons of spinning all through first gear and only went wide open throttle (WOT) for 2 very short durations. Shifted into second at about 6,400 RPM (line #1995), shifted into 3rd at 6,600 RPM (line #2074), and into 4th at 6,420 rpm (line #2186). You went through the traps at about 5,200 RPM, (line #2227). Combination of your spinning in 1st with your high shift points, probably contributed to you going through the traps at a lower RPM.

Alright, some things to look for:

-Your "Inlet Air Temps" (air going through your K&N FIPK) were about 100 degrees while you were sitting in the lanes, but got down to 78-80 degrees during your run. What was the temperature outside while your were racing???

-Your "Downstream Air Temps" (Air AFTER going through the supercharger), were 122-124 degrees for the good part of your run. Not bad, but could be a tad lower with a couple of cooling adjustments (cooler outside air, heat exchanger, ice in aftermarket reservoir, etc).

-Your "Coolant Temps" (engine's cooling system) was between 194 and 198 degrees. Not bad, in the normal range.

-Your "Fuel Pump Duty Cycle" (FPDC) measures the capacity of your fuel pumps to provide fuel to the motor. The numerical value in this column reflects one pump, thus has to be doubled to get an accurate number. Your highest Duty Cycle was at 6,600 RPM and the value was.4469 (Line #2064). Multiply .4469 times 2 and you get .8938. Move the decimal point two places to the right and your FPDC was 89.3% at it's highest. Plenty of room for more as 100% is maximal.

-Battery Voltage stayed in the "13's" throughout the datalog. No issues there. Plenty of juice.

-Your "Throttle Position Absolute" is a very important paramater in my opinion and shows when you are WOT. This value should be in the 948-949 range and will tell you when you have your right foot mashed to the floor. This is a very good indicator of your shifting efficiency and obviously if you're power shifting, the value should not really decrease at all.

-Your "Short Term Fuel Trim" is not a paramter I feel comfortable enough with to explain, but at WOT, mine is at .820313 for both Bank 1 and Bank 2, same as yours.........

-Your "Spark" is the advance timing in degrees that your tune is commanding. If you study the Spark numbers in relation to your RPM, you'll see that at 5,000 RPM, your tune is commanding about 19 degrees of advance timing, at 5,200 rpm = 18.75 degrees, 5,500 = 18.50 degrees, 5,700 rpm = 18.25 degrees, and 6,000 to redline = 18 degrees. You're current tune is leaving some power on the table due to low commanded advance timing values. Normal 91 octane tunes for an Eaton is 20-21 degrees at 5,000 rpm and over, 22-23 degrees with 93 octane, and 24-25 degress for 100+ octane. Plus, most tunes that I'm familiar with increase advance timing values with RPM, while yours actually decreases timing. Just for example, on one of my "street/strip" tunes, I command 18 degrees at 4,000 rpm, 19 at 4,200 rpm, 20 at 4,400 rpm, 21 at 4,600 rpm, 22 at 4,800 rpm, and then 23 from 5,000 rpm until redline.

-You did not datalog MAF counts. We need that one to see how your air metering capacity is looking, (with your mods, stock system should be fine though).

These are the main paramaters that I look at. A competent tuner or someone with better experience than I, has other areas he can look at for even more feedback.

Last edited:

streetknight2

Established Member
I'm no help at all on this, but was wondering what you guys use for a data logger on these cars. I need to get one for mine, sorry to rip the thread.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I'm no help at all on this, but was wondering what you guys use for a data logger on these cars. I need to get one for mine, sorry to rip the thread.

A handheld tuner.If you get a SCT you`ll have access to Livelink which is SCT`s logging software and it`s free.Pic of Livelink below.
MAF.jpg

streetknight2

Established Member
A handheld tuner.If you get a SCT you`ll have access to Livelink which is SCT`s logging software and it`s free.Pic of Livelink below.
MAF.jpg

Cool, My car came with a SCT X2, but no instructions. I'll ask my tuner tomorrow if he can show me how to use it as a logger.

Thanks

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
-Your "Short Term Fuel Trim" is not a paramter I feel comfortable enough with to explain, but at WOT, mine is at .820313 for both Bank 1 and Bank 2, same as yours.........
STFT's are useless @ WOT. They are showing the Lambda for your factory "Short Band" O2 sensors.

These parameters should be used when tuning or checking your driveability.

When you see .820 for a reading that is the max the O2 sensor will read being "Rich". It can't read anything more than that. If you figure in a factor stoich of 14.64 for gasoline it works out to an A/F ratio of 12.0:1.

Hope this helps.

Other than that good analysis on the other parameters IronTerp!

Last edited:

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Wayne, I took a look at the file and figured I'd just post up what my "average" experienced datalogging eye sees.......

Looks like your burnout lasted for a little over 5 seconds (line #1103 to line #1232), and the RPM range looks like you did your burnout in 1st gear. You started your launch at 2,732 RPM (line #1871), and you're right: tons of spinning all through first gear and only went wide open throttle (WOT) for 2 very short durations. Shifted into second at about 6,400 RPM (line #1995), shifted into 3rd at 6,600 RPM (line #2074), and into 4th at 6,420 rpm (line #2186). You went through the traps at about 5,200 RPM, (line #2227). Combination of your spinning in 1st with your high shift points, probably contributed to you going through the traps at a lower RPM.

Alright, some things to look for:

-Your "Inlet Air Temps" (air going through your K&N FIPK) were about 100 degrees while you were sitting in the lanes, but got down to 78-80 degrees during your run. What was the temperature outside while your were racing???

-Your "Downstream Air Temps" (Air AFTER going through the supercharger), were 122-124 degrees for the good part of your run. Not bad, but could be a tad lower with a couple of cooling adjustments (cooler outside air, heat exchanger, ice in aftermarket reservoir, etc).

-Your "Coolant Temps" (engine's cooling system) was between 194 and 198 degrees. Not bad, in the normal range.

-Your "Fuel Pump Duty Cycle" (FPDC) measures the capacity of your fuel pumps to provide fuel to the motor. The numerical value in this column reflects one pump, thus has to be doubled to get an accurate number. Your highest Duty Cycle was at 6,600 RPM and the value was.4469 (Line #2064). Multiply .4469 times 2 and you get .8938. Move the decimal point two places to the right and your FPDC was 89.3% at it's highest. Plenty of room for more as 100% is maximal.

-Battery Voltage stayed in the "13's" throughout the datalog. No issues there. Plenty of juice.

-Your "Throttle Position Absolute" is a very important paramater in my opinion and shows when you are WOT. This value should be in the 948-949 range and will tell you when you have your right foot mashed to the floor. This is a very good indicator of your shifting efficiency and obviously if you're power shifting, the value should not really decrease at all.

-Your "Spark" is the advance timing in degrees that your tune is commanding. If you study the Spark numbers in relation to your RPM, you'll see that at 5,000 RPM, your tune is commanding about 19 degrees of advance timing, at 5,200 rpm = 18.75 degrees, 5,500 = 18.50 degrees, 5,700 rpm = 18.25 degrees, and 6,000 to redline = 18 degrees. You're current tune is leaving some power on the table due to low commanded advance timing values. Normal 91 octane tunes for an Eaton is 20-21 degrees at 5,000 rpm and over, 22-23 degrees with 93 octane, and 24-25 degress for 100+ octane. Plus, most tunes that I'm familiar with increase advance timing values with RPM, while yours actually decreases timing. Just for example, on one of my "street/strip" tunes, I command 18 degrees at 4,000 rpm, 19 at 4,200 rpm, 20 at 4,400 rpm, 21 at 4,600 rpm, 22 at 4,800 rpm, and then 23 from 5,000 rpm until redline.

-You did not datalog MAF counts. We need that one to see how your air metering capacity is looking, (with your mods, stock system should be fine though).

These are the main paramaters that I look at. A competent tuner or someone with better experience than I, has other areas he can look at for even more feedback.

That's a good breakdown. Did he log fuel pressure?
:beer:

trmin8ter03

Established Member
Thanks for all the good info ironterp. I use the diablo handheld for data loging and still learning a lot. Does diablo offer a program similar to the sct for uploading the datalog runs to the pc?

04CobraMatt

Established Member
STFT's are useless @ WOT. They are showing the Lambda for your factory "Short Band" O2 sensors.

These parameters should be used when tuning or checking your driveability.

When you see .820 for a reading that is the max the O2 sensor will read being "Rich". It can't read anything more than that. If you figure in a factor stoich of 14.64 for gasoline it works out to an A/F ratio of 12.0:1.

Hope this helps.

Other than that good analysis on the other parameters IronTerp!

Its actually just showing the commanded lambda of the base fuel table. the sensors are ignored in Open Loop.

Jefe

Established Member
Awesome response IronTerp. Cant wait to start datalogging

Users who are viewing this thread