Can I buy a used SCT flasher and is there a big difference between X2 and X3?

JaguarS4R

Established Member
Since im going to be changing pulleys on my vortech, I need a flash loader for the tune, a few questions:

1. Can I get a used flash loader but as long as its been reset or how does it work?

2. Is there a big difference between X2 and X3?

TDUB003

Established Member
Yes you can get a used tuner as long as it isn't locked to a previous vehicle. Once a tune has been uploaded to a vehicle it locks the device to that vehicle until it is returned to the stock tune which is stored in the tuner upon uploading the custom tune if that makes sense. So as long as the person who had it returned the vehicle back to the stock tune you should be fine. If the tuner is still locked, it needs to be sent into SCT which they charge for (I believe it's $200 but I could be wrong) and is pita so I wouldn't recommend it. As far as the X2 and X3 I'm not quite sure what features changed although I believe the features are all listed on SCT's site. I have a Livewire which I would highly recommend but it may be overkill for what you're looking for. As far as capability of uploading tunes they are the same, it's just a matter of what additional features they offer.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
It's a lot easier to find the standard FireWire analog input cable for an X3 than it is for an obscure DIN analog input cable for an Xcal2. This is in case you want to datalog your wideband.

luke87gt

Established Member
It's a lot easier to find the standard FireWire analog input cable for an X3 than it is for an obscure DIN analog input cable for an Xcal2. This is in case you want to datalog your wideband.

I just went through this myself and it was a bit of a PITA with the Xcal2... I had to order the mini-DIN9 cable from SCT (there are many many configs of DIN cables out there I came to learn, as shown in the wiki link below). When the cable arrived, it would not fit snug into the Xcal2 port. I had to use a dremel to grind off some of the connector insulation to get it to press deeper into my Xcal2 and achieve good contact. Radio shack unfortunately did not carry the non-standard DIN9 connector/cable needed.

I took several hours to wire everything up and sync the wideband to the Livelink SW via the Xcal2, but everything seems to be working great.

Luke

Mini-DIN connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are using an Xcal2, here is the appropriate config for the analog output. Ignore the colors since they won't always be consistent and pay attention to the position instead.

Xcal2_three.jpg

Last edited:

JaguarS4R

Established Member
Alot of guys im asking about who are selling the X3s are telling me that there is 3 UNLOCKED left? Does that mean 3 vehicles? How many vehicles can you have?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
When you first flash a tune to a PCM, that X3 is then "locked" to that particular PCM, and you can only flash new tunes to that particular PCM, no other PCMs. If you have more than one car you want custom tuned, you will need an X3 for each car.

You can restore the original tune to the PCM from that X3, "unlocking" it from the PCM. Then you can move it to a new vehicle. But there is a limit to the number of times you can do that before you have to send it back to SCT to get more capacity, and that is not free.

If you are looking to buy a used X3, make sure that the X3 is truly unlocked. If it is still locked to a PCM, you will have to send it to SCT to have it unlocked, and they don't do that for cheap. I understand that it could cost more to buy a used locked one and then pay SCT to unlock it than it would to buy a new one from SCT.

You will still need a dealer to sell you a tune, too.

FYI, X3s are not locked to a PCM when it comes to datalogging. You can datalog with an X3 that is locked to one PCM in any car.

JaguarS4R

Established Member
What is datalogging? I would be using my X3 to bump my redline from 6200-6500 possible and for upping my boost on my votech..etc, how many times can I use it in that sense? It seems like I should buy a new one, thoughts?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Datalogging is recording what is going on inside of your PCM so you can diagnose problems and or get data used for tuning. You can see what the PCM is reading from its sensors and what it is doing while the engine is running.

Boost will be determined by the pulleys you use to drive the blower, not by the PCM. But the PCM's tune may need to change to handle the higher boost. The tune will definitely need to change if you want to change the RPM limits.

Your tuner can make as many changes as you want, but only for that particular PCM. The limit is on how many times you can change PCMs. He can also set parameters such as redline that he allows you to change by yourself, but many tuners don't like to do that.

I'd recommend you find a local tuner you can trust and get his advice on what to buy, and what to change in your tune.

JaguarS4R

Established Member
I found a tuner in my area who specializes in FORD ONLY. its actually a FORD dealer that has a DYNO and a performance shop and they told me to get the SCT X3, ,im just trying to see if I can avoid the $379 price for a new one, but it seems like if I get a used one, it could be nothing but issues

Zacharyx

Established Member
3015 is the strategy flash or SF3, it needs a firmware update to make it the same as the x3 to be used for custom tuning

Zacharyx

Established Member
How about the Diablo Sport Predator?

Find the tuner you want to use and pick the handheld that goes with the software they use, otherwise you may end up searching for someone that uses your handheld instead of someone you have confidence in

goat-ee

Established Member
never asked them

heres what I found used: I see some other different model #s, like 3000 or 3015, any difference? Which one looks good?

SCT X3 Ford Mustang Flash Tuner Programmer | eBay

SCT X3 #3015 Ford tuner/programmer with NO RESERVE! | eBay

SCT Xcal X3 Tuner L@@K!!! | eBay

The 2nd link specifically says it's LOCKED which means it's worthless.

I would never buy a used one that doesn't say specifically that it's UNLOCKED. If it doesn't say one way or the other, assume it's LOCKED, it's the dishonest sellers way around selling locked units. "I never said it was unlocked"

I've never bought a new tuner and done fine. But lot's of people have bought locked units, and then your hosed. And please don't fall for the old story that some guys will try to sell you, that goes like this. "Yes, it's locked, but you can get it unlocked by SCT for $99. And I only want $100, so it's still a great deal." Don't fall for that scam either. SCT DOES NOT DO THAT!!! It's another internet myth that continues for some unknown reason, i'm surprised someone hasn't chimed in on your thread with it yet!!

Last edited:

Zacharyx

Established Member
I've never bought a new tuner and done fine. But lot's of people have bought locked units, and then your hosed. And please don't fall for the old story that some guys will try to sell you, that goes like this. "Yes, it's locked, but you can get it unlocked by SCT for $99. And I only want $100, so it's still a great deal." Don't fall for that scam either. SCT DOES NOT DO THAT!!!

A locked tuner can be unlocked, just had my X2 done when I swapped to an auto

Users who are viewing this thread