Can a built, synchroed T56 handle repeated 7k shifts on the drastrip?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for clearing that one up for me. Never heard that term before. I think they called them "crashbox transmissions" or "Liberty gears" back in the day.

Faceplated is just like what Jericho's are in Nascars etc.. T101A's etc.. They are straight cut gears with no syncro's..

TonyG2

Established Member
IMO should have installed the WOT box. It really is amazing the difference it makes. As far as that bonehead blowing his motor after his wot box install he said it was blown to a lean condition. The wot box only kills spark does nothing to fuel. Good luck regardless

I can still do it. Hanlon's going to give me a call once he opens up the tranny, and I'll make my final decision then. In the meantime, I'll try to learn more about WOT boxes. I wanted it to be rebuilt in either case, because I know there are some internal problems, like that flat spot or "wall" between 2nd and 4th gears.

SlowSVT

Established Member
A friend of mine use to drive his Cobra NEVER using the clutch. I was amazed and baffled why he did this. And there is more! He used the gearbox to slow the car so he could stay off the brakes. To be honest he did a very good job of slipping the car in and out of gear but you can tell he needed to divert some of his attention to knowing where he needed to be with the engine and tranny before executing a maneuver and he would miss once in a while (it looked like a pretty painful way to drive). When I drove the car he stated he was biting his tongue watching me use the clutch and brakes.

The reason for all this was he didn't want to have to replace brake shoes or a clutch :dw:

Wouldn't the WOT box dump raw gas into the exhaust? Any issue with back firing when the ignition kicks in? They use these things in bikes as well

TonyG2

Established Member
Wouldn't the WOT box dump raw gas into the exhaust? Any issue with back firing when the ignition kicks in? They use these things in bikes as well

It would probably cause some backfire. +1, which makes me worry about my cats (yes, I still have them). I'm also a little concerned about some stumbling when the ignition turns off and on during the shift.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member

Your right it does build fuel when the ignition is cut but I have only had flames crack out of the tailpipes during 3-4 shift over 6k rpm. Havnt had it do it on any other shifts. Just have to remember that the ihe ignition is only cut for a couple hundred miliseconds so its not a long time.

It would probably cause some backfire. +1, which makes me worry about my cats (yes, I still have them). I'm also a little concerned about some stumbling when the ignition turns off and on during the shift.

No stumbling at all during normal driving. To trigger the ignition cut the
Car has to be at WOT and the clutch engaged. I definitely recommend this mod to anyone. One of the best I've done.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Your right it does build fuel when the ignition is cut but I have only had flames crack out of the tailpipes during 3-4 shift over 6k rpm. Havnt had it do it on any other shifts. Just have to remember that the ihe ignition is only cut for a couple hundred miliseconds so its not a long time.

Are you running cats? Keep in mind 200 milliseconds will equate to about 80 fuel soaked boosted cycles worth of charge being dumped into the exhaust at 6K rpm's. Probably OK with an OR pipe but I'm not sure what sense of humor the cats will have suddenly getting misted with cool raw fuel followed by a mini explosion. I imagine with the right exhaust you get flames out the exhaust tips :coolman:

TonyG2

Established Member
No stumbling at all during normal driving. To trigger the ignition cut the Car has to be at WOT and the clutch engaged. I definitely recommend this mod to anyone. One of the best I've done.

Thanks, I'm seriously considering it now. Does it use the clutch switch? I deleted mine a while ago, so I may need to retrofit it back.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Are you running cats? Keep in mind 200 milliseconds will equate to about 80 fuel soaked boosted cycles worth of charge being dumped into the exhaust at 6K rpm's. Probably OK with an OR pipe but I'm not sure what sense of humor the cats will have suddenly getting misted with cool raw fuel followed by a mini explosion. I imagine with the right exhaust you get flames out the exhaust tips :coolman:

Yes I am running an O/R mid pipe. So that may be an issue for someone with cats but I wouldn't think twice about it unless your doing WOT pulls evey chance you get haha.

As for flames shooting out that is correct. Check this vid out...
Rematch Pump Gas Port vs No Port E85 - YouTube

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Thanks, I'm seriously considering it now. Does it use the clutch switch? I deleted mine a while ago, so I may need to retrofit it back.

Yes a wire is spliced into one of the clutch sensor wires. The install is pretty simple but I'm a stickler about soldering instead of using butt connectors so it took me a couple more hours.

Last edited:

MTBSully

Established Member
+1 for WOT box. I soldered all connections as well and the hardest part was feeding the wires through the firewall. Shifts like butter now and the 2-step is cool too.

Can't wait to see how it does with my new turbo setup.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
+1 for WOT box. I soldered all connections as well and the hardest part was feeding the wires through the firewall. Shifts like butter now and the 2-step is cool too.

Can't wait to see how it does with my new turbo setup.

I used an old stretched out metal clothes hanger with some tape. Ill admit a couple of those wires were a PITA to solder but would be a breeze with butts

WannaWhine

Alaskan Steed
Established Member
Hoping this isn't too old of a thread to bump up. I just wrapped up my drag racing here in Alaska and holy crap is my T56 hard to shift. I found it extremely notchy over the 4th of July, I swapped the fluid to Amsoil and installed a MGW instead of a Triax and found zero improvement. I was going to get some adjustment mods for my clutch but I'm sure it won't cure the problem.

My car is daily driven from time to time, but my main objective is performance at the track. How is the face plating? I'm also considering a WOT Box and I'm glad to see a bit of reviews here.

I could put one in the car but if it didn't help with the shifts, it would be May of next year and a bit late to be pulling the transmission for a rebuild. :(

How are you liking the rebuilt trans? Did anyone slap a wot box in and how are they liking it?

TonyG2

Established Member
I went with faceplating. Although there are positive reviews of WOT boxes, the bad reviews scared me away. I only faceplated 3rd and 4th gears, and I'm happy with this decision. It's a good compromise between street and strip. My (synchroed) 1/2 shift is noticeably rougher than my (faceplated) 2/3 and 3/4 shifts. I made a video which shows this clearly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeQoW0ZvLwk

The shifting begins 32 seconds into the video. Notice how rough the 1/2 shift was, while 2/3 and 3/4 were like butter.

On the street you will have to double clutch and shift more conservatively and carefully during casual driving, at least at first. But eventually, it'll make you a better driver and be more aware of how your engine and transmission talk to each other. If you never driven a faceplated transmission it'll be scary initially b/c if/when you shift at the wrong time, there will be no synchros to block you out...it'll go straight in and bang hard. But once you "get-it", the shifts will be silent and it becomes very satisfying.

Last edited:

WannaWhine

Alaskan Steed
Established Member
Thanks for the response. I'm leaning heavily towards faceplating my t56. This last week at the track, I could not for the life of me get her to shift easily at high RPM. It might be because I don't have any aftermarket adjusting capabilities but despite low mileage, I know this car was launched on slicks for some time before I bought her. Being that I'm often away from home, I don't drive the car daily by any means. She is slowly becoming a track only kind of car and that is where I'm looking to find my gains. Faceplating seems like the logical way to go if I don't mind driving her like an old truck.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I went with faceplating. Although there are positive reviews of WOT boxes, the bad reviews scared me away. I only faceplated 3rd and 4th gears, and I'm happy with this decision. It's a good compromise between street and strip. My (synchroed) 1/2 shift is noticeably rougher than my (faceplated) 2/3 and 3/4 shifts. I made a video which shows this clearly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeQoW0ZvLwk

The shifting begins 32 seconds into the video. Notice how rough the 1/2 shift was, while 2/3 and 3/4 were like butter.

On the street you will have to double clutch and shift more conservatively and carefully during casual driving, at least at first. But eventually, it'll make you a better driver and be more aware of how your engine and transmission talk to each other. If you never driven a faceplated transmission it'll be scary initially b/c if/when you shift at the wrong time, there will be no synchros to block you out...it'll go straight in and bang hard. But once you "get-it", the shifts will be silent and it becomes very satisfying.

Watching that video again makes me want to go race right now! :)
I'm not sure who does face plating other than Liberty, but I know that they do a good job. Pretty sure that they do the trannies in the pro-stock cars too.

TonyG2

Established Member
Yeah, sometimes watching that video satisfies my itch to go racing...which saves me money in actually doing it and breaking parts. Anyway, Hanlon did the faceplating work for me.

Users who are viewing this thread