Can a built, synchroed T56 handle repeated 7k shifts on the drastrip?

TonyG2

Established Member
Trying to decide whether to faceplate my T56 or rebuild it with synchros.

I'm running mid-10's at 134-136. I have a "high RPM" set-up (centri blower, short runner intake). I have to keep the revs high and not let them drop much between shifts to get my best times. There is a huge advantage to doing 7k+ powershifts. But mst of the time, my T56 locks me out at 7k when trying to powershift, so I don't even try it anymore. I speedshift instead. But lately and more frequently, I'm still getting locked out 50% of the time. Usually it's 2-3 or 3-4, rarely its 1-2. Don't know if this is normal, but if I move the shifter between 2nd and 4th gear, there is a "flat spot". I mean if you pull down on the shifter over this spot, it won't be guided into 2nd nor 4th it will just remain blocked by this flat spot. I think it's an internal transmission problem, because I feel it even with different shifters. The tranny shifts fine on the street. The only peculiarity is that I often can't downshift to 2nd while coasting to a make a turn. Upshifting 2-3 is never a problem. If I never drag raced, I wouldn't think there was any serious problems at all.

Anyway, it's gotten to the point where I don't even want to go drag racing anymore, because most of my runs will be wasted due to lockout. I'm going to get it rebuilt, probably by Hanlon since he is the closest. But I need to decide if I want to get gears 1-4 faceplated. I know I'll love it on the dragstrip, and will probably run close to 10-flat consistently. But I'll probably not want to drive the car on the street anymore.

I'd be willing to sacrifice my powershifts and a few tenths on the dragstrip for more streetability. I can do 7k speedshifts instead of powershifts with a synchroed tranny, like the Magnum, Transzilla, etc. But I think this will still be torturous to the synchros and from what I understand, it won't last long with such abuse and eventually give me the same problems as I'm having now. I don't want to spend $3k for a built T56 and have the same problems after one season, I'd rather do the faceplating and not have to worry about it anymore.

I am hoping that I am wrong about this, and can have the best of both worlds. Does anyone regularly dragrace their synchroed T56 with 7000+ rpms speedshifts? How many passes so far?

(Sorry for the novel)

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I would get a T56magnum.. I've personally done numerous 72-7300rpm powershifts on my Magnum.. Loves every second of it!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Well my car isn't a drag car.. But I drive my car very hard on the street... It's hard to tell.. I've had my transmission since 09 I believe.... Lots of hard street driving on it.. I wish I could be more of a help, but my car isn't a drag car sadly..

TonyG2

Established Member
OK, my T56 works fine on the street as well, even speed shifting at 7k. But on the drag strip with slicks, its a different story, there's a lot more load on the tranny. Thanks.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I don't spin on the street with my tires.. The load is probably the same if I had to guess. and I'm not talking about speed shifting, I powershift the shit outta my trans at 7.2/7300 rpm... fwiw. :) Either way I'm sure someone will step in who has ran this trans harder at the track.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Try a WOT box with your current trans before you do anything else. N2mb has them for less than $200. Mine had the same issue. Wot box feature made it shift like butter with the stock shift spark kill setting. Sadly my trans grenaded within the 5th try so I never got to lower the time it kills spark for quicker shifts. Trans braking and wot box wasnt related btw.

Last edited:

TonyG2

Established Member
I don't spin on the street with my tires.. The load is probably the same if I had to guess. and I'm not talking about speed shifting, I powershift the shit outta my trans at 7.2/7300 rpm... fwiw. :) Either way I'm sure someone will step in who has ran this trans harder at the track.

Yeah, I practiced powershifting mine a few times on the street and it didn't give me problems. It's strange, on the dragstrip the shifting becomes much more difficult. The only difference I see is that I'm accelerating much faster on the dragstrip with the sticky tires. Thanks for the input.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Well, I thought about the WOT box, then this post and others like it scared me off:
Your motor and transmission will be under LESS stress using a WOT box. It kills the spark. If you arent using a WOT you are holding the gas WOT with no spark interrupt and that's MORE stress which is why it's hard as hell to power shift. I know your pain, my t56 in my truck doesnt have a short throw like a mustang does.

As for the two step feature mine and other units have, i dont know how that effect's the motor. I just mentioned the WOT box feature because that's what i tested. I am 99% sure my wot box had nothing to do with my viper spec t56 grenading. I beat the ever living crap out of it from day one. Has multiple 6k dumps at the track, tons of miss shifts under it's belt. I think it just did it's time considering it came from totaled gen 2 viper across the country. But i could be wrong.

Lots of low 10 and quicker gt500 guys on here use them and love them.

Last edited:

TonyG2

Established Member
Your motor and transmission will be under LESS stress using a WOT box. It kills the spark. If you arent using a WOT you are holding the gas WOT with no spark interrupt and that's MORE stress which is why it's hard as hell to power shift. I know your pain, my t56 in my truck doesnt have a short throw like a mustang does.

As for the two step feature mine and other units have, i dont know how that effect's the motor. I just mentioned the WOT box feature because that's what i tested. I am 99% sure my wot box had nothing to do with my viper spec t56 grenading. I beat the ever living crap out of it from day one. Has multiple 6k dumps at the track, tons of miss shifts under it's belt. I think it just did it's time considering it came from totaled gen 2 viper across the country. But i could be wrong.

Lots of low 10 and quicker gt500 guys on here use them and love them.

Maybe I can do a regular rebuild, then add the WOT box. I have to ask my tuner if it'll be safe. I know it cuts the spark, but along with the people who love them, there seems to be a disturbing number of blown engine incidents after installation. Thanks!

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I wouldn't do a regular build. After talking to Tick performance, a magnum wouldn't last in my truck. I know we have totally different vehicles but just research and talk to shops. You are on the right track imo.

TonyG2

Established Member
I'm probably going to just cut through the BS and faceplate the damn thing. I barely drive on the street anymore and based on reviews I've read (from people who actually did it), a faceplated tranny is not nearly as bad as reputation suggests.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I'm probably going to just cut through the BS and faceplate the damn thing. I barely drive on the street anymore and based on reviews I've read (from people who actually did it), a faceplated tranny is not nearly as bad as reputation suggests.

So, is your T-56 "built" in any way currently?

TonyG2

Established Member
So, is your T-56 "built" in any way currently?

It's a 2000CobraR spec T56. I bought it used from someone in my Mustang club. I think it has the higher spline output shaft and some other upgrades. The shop that installed it for the previous owner changed the input shaft to 26 spline. I can't complain too much, the tranny lasted me about 80 passes on the dragstrip, before it started locking me out.

shurur

Established Member
It's a 2000CobraR spec T56. I bought it used from someone in my Mustang club. I think it has the higher spline output shaft and some other upgrades. The shop that installed it for the previous owner changed the input shaft to 26 spline. I can't complain too much, the tranny lasted me about 80 passes on the dragstrip, before it started locking me out.

about the only thing I know or understand out of all this talk is that the 2000r has a real ford 31 spline count output shaft rather than the 27 spline (essentially GM) ouput spline of the 03-04 cobra T56.

Otherwise I just listening/lurking on this.

TonyG2

Established Member
Took the tranny out and inspected it. It does have the 31 spline output shaft. I drove it over to Hanlon this morning. Once he opens it up, we'll see what needs to be upgraded. I trust the transmission with Bob Hanlon. He's a one man operation, and all he does is build transmissions in his shop. He talked by ear off today, and gave me a nice demo of what faceplating is. He's very technical and knows all of the details about these trannies. Good stuff.

I think I'm going to just faceplate 3rd and 4th gears. That is a nice compromise between streetability and a dedicated drag car. So on the street, I can downshift to 2nd without any drama.

So with faceplated 3ed and 4th, the only shift I need to worry about is 1-2. I inquired about beefing up the synchros in 1st in 2nd with "triple cone" synchros. After a long demonstration of what they actually are (he had some available to show me), he didn't seem to think they were worth it. I'm not sure, I may do it anyway for the peace of mind.

SlowSVT, a faceplated transmission has no synchros. It is a race-only modification, but plenty of people drive them on the street. The advantage is that the transmission will shift effortlessly at high RPM. The shifter practically gets sucked into the next gear. One the street however, driving one is a lot more clunky

SlowSVT

Established Member
SlowSVT, a faceplated transmission has no synchros. It is a race-only modification, but plenty of people drive them on the street. The advantage is that the transmission will shift effortlessly at high RPM. The shifter practically gets sucked into the next gear. One the street however, driving one is a lot more clunky

Thanks for clearing that one up for me. Never heard that term before. I think they called them "crashbox transmissions" or "Liberty gears" back in the day.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
IMO should have installed the WOT box. It really is amazing the difference it makes. As far as that bonehead blowing his motor after his wot box install he said it was blown to a lean condition. The wot box only kills spark does nothing to fuel. Good luck regardless

Users who are viewing this thread