CAMS/Smog in CA

Stanger00

Established Member
No, I'm saying you don't want to do anything without an EO cert...as I said in my post. I of course realize there are EO approved tunes.

I had an SCT Tuner. They flagged it from a scan (before they spun the rollers). I went home, flashed it back to stock and passed. I do not know how or why the tool caught me. I know only that that is why they went from just looking for a CEL to scanning the ECU. For diesel trucks all they do is hit the OBDII connector to look for mods.

Y'all have fun arguing about it, I packed my shit up and left that place for a reason.

Yours was flagged because of a tune or was it because readiness monitors were not complete?

I just want to know if the fail was due to your tune changing the Calibration ID or if it was because monitors were turned off or were not complete because of equipment issues like Steve@TF had with his Lund smog legal tune.

You stepped in here with some good information but this last post leaves out some valuable information that can be added to the discussion here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CO Mack

Established Member
I don't know, TBH. It was a canned tune for a 2004 Mach 1, guy said you have a tune, go take it off and come back. I had the front and rear O2 sensors operating. It had a different gearset. TC was off, speed limiter was off. Otherwise, I couldn't tell you why it failed. Sorry. I just went home, flashed it to base and passed.

Papaw

Established Member
I expected there would be a lot more information about this by now. There are lots of modded GT500s in California. It should be common knowledge what mods will fail you here.
I guess I'll just have to wait until August and see if my car passes with my stock look pulley and non-OE tune.

I'll let you know.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I think the reason for the number of modded GT500's in California has more to due with the fact that new cars are not required to get a SMOG check for 6 years after the original sale date or until they are resold. This could also be one of the reasons they are eventually returned to stock when they are put up for sale.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I expected there would be a lot more information about this by now. There are lots of modded GT500s in California. It should be common knowledge what mods will fail you here.
I guess I'll just have to wait until August and see if my car passes with my stock look pulley and non-OE tune.

I'll let you know.

Pick up a bluetooth OBD-II adapter and check the monitors on your phone. That will tell you what is enabled, disabled, and notmpassing. This way you can adjust or retune if necessary, rather than scramble around come smog time.

In the past I had reflashed to the stock tune and kept an eye on the monitors with the OBD Link to make sure everything was cleared before I went for the smog check.

Now that my fuel system has been changed, the stock tune doe me no good. I had to get retuned for a more friendly tune. The biggest headache with the cars is always in the tune come smog time.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I think the reason for the number of modded GT500's in California has more to due with the fact that new cars are not required to get a SMOG check for 6 years after the original sale date or until they are resold. This could also be one of the reasons they are eventually returned to stock when they are put up for sale.

i bought my gt500 used while it was still less than 6 years old and had to have it smogged. i think that's only for NEW cars. once resold its fair game. the first time i had to have it smogged it was bone stock so it passed no problem

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Pick up a bluetooth OBD-II adapter and check the monitors on your phone. That will tell you what is enabled, disabled, and notmpassing. This way you can adjust or retune if necessary, rather than scramble around come smog time.

this is what i did. my friendly smog guy said he was only concerned that all the monitors turned on. i think evap is the only one that is allowed to not turn on now. he gave me a device to use for a few days to see if the monitors turned on or not (plugged into obdII). they did not. i had to give it back to him so he could use it for others and then i ordered the one on amazon that i linked earlier.

i have a lund tune with an sct programmer. since the monitors were not all turning on i had to put the stock tune back on. so i have no clue if the custom sct tune would have been detected or not. the smog guy didnt seem concerned. he did say im supposed to have CARB sticker for my cai but since i was referred by someone he knows he let it slide. even still, stock intake went back on anyways so it could pass.

i wanted my car to pass the legit way. i put 1000 miles on the car trying to get those damn monitors to turn on. total pita. i even considered selling it and getting a 2013 and leaving it stock lol. but that would cost me $20-25k. id much rather just pay someone to pass it through. although now i know i can just slap my stock intake back and h pipe back on and stock tune. passed no problem.

i was considering grabbing a take off tvs but then i believe id be going past the point of no return and would only be able to have it "passed" from then on.

Users who are viewing this thread