CAMS/Smog in CA

SVT12GT500

Hi Everyone,
I am trying to do some research to see if it is possible to install cams and at what stage in order to be able to pass smog in California. Does anyone have any experience with this in CA? I did some searching but nothing specifies CA. Can you do something like install the cams but, change the tune?

Papaw

Established Member
I don't know too much about this but I'll tell you what I know.
I took my '09 in for it's first smog check last year and they didn't even start the engine, no sniffer in exhaust pipe, not even a visual check of engine. All he did was plug into the OBD port and a few minutes later he said it passed.
At the time I was running the stock Eaton with only a CAI and Ford ProCal tune.
I don't know how he could have known if I had cams or aftermarket blower or any other mods by the way he ran the check.
Hope that helps some.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
As far as I know there are no CARB certified camshafts for the GT500 other than the stock cams. All will be specified as off-road use. With the expense of purchasing and installing cams, it's a crap shoot. No doubt some of the milder cams could pass emissions testing, but technically, if it's not CARB compliant, it's illegal.

SVT12GT500

Thank you guys for the posts. I was under the impression that the smog test for newer vehicles was done with the computer system so i thought that the tune could help alot.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
You and i are coming up on OBD2 scan test only. Its a visual inspection for stock equipment, and verifying monitors are complete pass. BUT they will compare the tune calibration to that which is on file with CARB.

Running a stock tune with cams will probably cause poor engine running thay the inspector will probably notice, misfire and possibly blow out your cats. No good as you will have to try and drive the car like that until the the monitors all set complete pass.

Unless you know a guy that can help you pass as is, which is highly illegal, its a pain in the ass to run things like cams or non stock exotic power adders. The joy of living in this peice of shit state we call california.

Stanger00

Established Member
BUT they will compare the tune calibration to that which is on file with CARB.

You have any further information of the legitimacy to this claim?

That is a whole lot of data for the state to manage and give access to all of the random smog stations. The infrastructure and licensing fees from manufacturers would cost way too much to manage.

I'd suggest just reviewing this website.
https://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/FormsPubs/Q&As_Smog_Check_Program.html

Far as I know 2000 and newer just get the OBDII check for all readiness monitors showing complete and the visual inspection.

69b302

Established Member
The tune will have to have ALL emissions enabled and be accurate enough for them to run and set. A tall order, since most tuners find it easier to disable any parameter that proves to be nuisance. Many states do monitor checks, and do keep track of what monitors each car is equipted with (not the tune file). The old days, tuners could disable monitors to pass, but that is no longer an option.

Stanger00

Established Member
The tune will have to have ALL emissions enabled and be accurate enough for them to run and set. A tall order, since most tuners find it easier to disable any parameter that proves to be nuisance. Many states do monitor checks, and do keep track of what monitors each car is equipted with (not the tune file). The old days, tuners could disable monitors to pass, but that is no longer an option.

Before I remember 5 of 7 being ok in CA. Now all have to show complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papaw

Established Member
I am currently running a VMP 2.5 in. pulley with their tune. I checked with them before hand and they said that their tune does not disable any emissions parameters so it should not have a problem passing smog checks. I guess I'll find out next year.

SVT12GT500

Thank you guys for the update. So, it might be possible depending on how good the tune is. I'll have to talk to the tuner that is near me then...

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
My buddy at work is a Smog certified tech who performs this exact Smog inspection. Accirding to him, CA does in fact check for calibration when performing the OBD scan. Essentially youre hooking your car up to a computer thats linked directly with the SMOG check servers.

They do check for proper calibration. Also, they will notice hot cams and fail you if you dont have an EO certificate, which no aftermarket set has been awarded.

Sorry boo

Stanger00

Established Member
My buddy at work is a Smog certified tech who performs this exact Smog inspection.

I believe all flat rate mechanics when they say something is wrong with my car too.

Essentially youre hooking your car up to a computer thats linked directly with the SMOG check servers.

This is true because DMV gets an automatic smog certificate once your car passes smog inspection.

They do check for proper calibration.

No way a state funded government program is maintaining proprietary data on every single vehicle to ensure each line of code is the same it left the factory. You're living in science fiction. And if you say I'm wrong bring up some factual information to back your point and not some because my 'flat rate' smog friend says so...

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Unfortunately the OBD check IS dependant on the factory calibration being in the engine. Thats the point of the whole program, if the car is OEM, or running CARB approved parts, the car IS STILL WITHIN THE CARB APPROVED emmissions certificate issued to the manufacturer. If not, it fails. If non CARB/EO sticker certified parts are installed, it fails the visual portion if the smog check.

Believe me, a professional flat rate techinician, if you want to or not. I could give a **** less, to be honest. But there isnt a legit smog tech in the world that wont double check his ass to make sure he is compliant.

See, in the state of California, the burden of this program is on the technician and the SMOG station owners. Not the customer, not the state. THE TECHNICIAN and those that own the station. Its setup that way so that it is as transparent and honest as can be so that there is no cheating or letting illegal parts and tunes pass. Jail time, fines, loss of station certification, loss of ability to ever SMOG check again... pretty good deterrents against cheating the system, though it still happens.

Again, believe me or not i dont care. But at least i wont tell a fellow member here information that could cost him a whole lot of time and money to learn the hard way.

OP, good luck with your quest.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Easy to check this for free or cheap: walk into a smog test with nothing done other than a conservative, non-EO mail order tune that doesn't turn off any sensors.

69b302

Established Member
The engine calibration does not need to be the exact one the car left the factory with, but does need to have all the emmisions monitors, the car left the factory with, enabled and working. Roush has 50 state legal CARB/EO aftermarket tunes, so the calibration can be changed. That said, it not going to get any easier to pass, and something like a cam'ed idle would be a easy give away that the car was not compliant. i would stick with CARB certified tunes, unless you want headaches. You can always run a race tune when at the track.

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member
Unfortunately the OBD check IS dependant on the factory calibration being in the engine. Thats the point of the whole program, if the car is OEM, or running CARB approved parts, the car IS STILL WITHIN THE CARB APPROVED emmissions certificate issued to the manufacturer. If not, it fails. If non CARB/EO sticker certified parts are installed, it fails the visual portion if the smog check.

Believe me, a professional flat rate techinician, if you want to or not. I could give a **** less, to be honest. But there isnt a legit smog tech in the world that wont double check his ass to make sure he is compliant.

See, in the state of California, the burden of this program is on the technician and the SMOG station owners. Not the customer, not the state. THE TECHNICIAN and those that own the station. Its setup that way so that it is as transparent and honest as can be so that there is no cheating or letting illegal parts and tunes pass. Jail time, fines, loss of station certification, loss of ability to ever SMOG check again... pretty good deterrents against cheating the system, though it still happens.

Again, believe me or not i dont care. But at least i wont tell a fellow member here information that could cost him a whole lot of time and money to learn the hard way.

OP, good luck with your quest.

Out of all that you wrote it is still just your opinion and zero facts about CARB collecting data and failing vehicles due to calibration changes to the ECU.

You said CARB is transparent and honest but there is zero information out there that specifically states they are inspecting and failing vehicles for having a different calibration than it did when it left the factory.

Papaw

Established Member
That must be right because, as I said, my car had the FRPP tune installed at the time of inspection and it passed just fine. VMP stated that their tune will also pass inspection, I just haven't attempted a certification with their tune yet.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
FRPP tunes are stated to be 50 state legal when used with parts in their kit. Their calibration numbers are approved by CARB.

I never said CARB was transparent and honest. I said the SMOG techs and owners were MOSTLY honest. Doing smog inspections mint money all day long. Which is why the consequence hammer for being dishonest as a tech or smog station is enormous.

Non CARB approved parts are an automatic visual fail. None CARB approved tunes are a fail.

By all means dude leave your car as it is and take it to get smogged and post up the results. But what do i know, i just work in the industry. Im a dishonest flat rate tech as well so take everything i say as hot air up the proverbial rear end. Good luck.

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
Hmmm, I was able to pass with an AED tune and a whipple carb sticker.
I was even running E85 at the smog station with stock cats installed.

They hooked up the computer and did a visual.

Unless you go in there with insanely aggressive cams, I don't know that they would catch it as long as all sensors were working correctly.

Stanger00

Established Member
FRPP tunes are stated to be 50 state legal when used with parts in their kit. Their calibration numbers are approved by CARB.

So now the software can quickly analyze and figure out from hundreds of thousands maybe millions of files and codes to know...oh this car is not factory stock calibration it has an FRPP calibration and is good to go.

This is hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread