Calling 2.97 Magnum Owners and Users

papajoewill

Established Member
Hello again everyone,

I’ve seen some older posts about the 2.66 vs 2.97 magnum gearing consideration and was wondering if anyone using a 2.97 had feedback or comments to their swap.

I talked to one guy that went 2.97 and immediately sold it for a 2.66 but also heard folks on the opposite end saying they loved it.

I have a new 2.97 and just wondering if anyone had input after real world use and experience before I install. Would rather try to trade/sell a new trans vs used before making the change.

Hope you’re all well and staying safe.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I have the 2.66 in my car, my buddy has the 2.97 in his car. He has 3.73 gears, I have 3.55's.

I have not heard any complaints from him or me. I like a slightly longer 1st gear. From my memory last fall, I was about....
45mph in 1st
About 80 in 2nd
105-110 3rd
140ish + in 4th

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the 2.66 in my car, my buddy has the 2.97 in his car. He has 3.73 gears, I have 3.55's.

I have not heard any complaints from him or me. I like a slightly longer 1st gear. From my memory last fall, I was about....
45mph in 1st
About 80 in 2nd
105-110 3rd
140ish + in 4th

Sounds like stock cobra gearing. I hit mostly those same numbers at 7k rpm
45 in first
80 in second
120 in third
140 in 4th
The big difference between the 2 other than the 1and 6th gear is the 2.66 is a close ratio more for road course racing. To keep in the powerband. The 2.97 was mor of a drag race (for the first gear)or turbo car setup. Turbos like the longer gears. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Sounds like stock cobra gearing. I hit mostly those same numbers at 7k rpm
45 in first
80 in second
120 in third
140 in 4th
The big difference between the 2 other than the 1and 6th gear is the 2.66 is a close ratio more for road course racing. To keep in the powerband. The 2.97 was mor of a drag race (for the first gear)or turbo car setup. Turbos like the longer gears. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

The 2.66 is the same as stock gearing IIRC. That's what I have and I like it with 3.73 rear.

papajoewill

Established Member
Which rear gear do you have?
3.27 now from a solid rear. Plan to stick to that or possibly 3.55 or 3.73. I dont plan on dragging the piss out of the car but may do some digs along with the occasional 40-140 but mostly a nice streetable fast car is my "goal"

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
3.27 now from a solid rear. Plan to stick to that or possibly 3.55 or 3.73. I dont plan on dragging the piss out of the car but may do some digs along with the occasional 40-140 but mostly a nice streetable fast car is my "goal"
The. 50 6th with a 3.27 is going to be rough unless you really cruising on the highway. What's your power goals? I think 3.55 and the 2.66 would be killer, thinking about switching for a little longer gear. I like the long first though since it's easier to get going on the street and moving a little faster before you hit second.

papajoewill

Established Member
The. 50 6th with a 3.27 is going to be rough unless you really cruising on the highway. What's your power goals? I think 3.55 and the 2.66 would be killer, thinking about switching for a little longer gear. I like the long first though since it's easier to get going on the street and moving a little faster before you hit second.
I'm in Florida with pretty flat roads so I will be able to use the 6th gear sometimes but understand only on the cruises. It's not hard to bang it into 3rd or 4th if I need some actual steam while at speed. I have a motor being built and should have at least 900+hp on tap. Probably could send some more ponies to the ground with my build but I will keep it turned down to the 750-800 range for longevity and traction. The top of 4th for me is around 140 now stock and that's even a little much for open roads. 40-140 is fine with that in mind and I don't plan on ever racing someone into 5th or the 60-160 type stuff. Too fast for the public streets and I'm trying to be safe. If it comes down to it, I may just buy another trans being a 2.66 magnum if I install the 2.97 and don't like the gearing.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I'm in Florida with pretty flat roads so I will be able to use the 6th gear sometimes but understand only on the cruises. It's not hard to bang it into 3rd or 4th if I need some actual steam while at speed. I have a motor being built and should have at least 900+hp on tap. Probably could send some more ponies to the ground with my build but I will keep it turned down to the 750-800 range for longevity and traction. The top of 4th for me is around 140 now stock and that's even a little much for open roads. 40-140 is fine with that in mind and I don't plan on ever racing someone into 5th or the 60-160 type stuff. Too fast for the public streets and I'm trying to be safe. If it comes down to it, I may just buy another trans being a 2.66 magnum if I install the 2.97 and don't like the gearing.

Seems like you thought it out. Around here the max speed limit is tech 55 real-world 80 max. Plus always dumbasses so I'd go insane or go full-load (full-retard) in 6th to pass out of anger constantly. Factor it cams and noise I tried to find a setup that kept me in that 2300-2500 range no load most often. That is pretty much silent even with long tubes and no cats. Till you touch the gas.

dazwelding

Established Member
I just installed the 2.97 last weekend. I selected the 2.97 since I also installed a low mileage stock rear end. So far it is wonderful! Tremec customer service is also top notch! I had an issue with mine and they took care of me!

papajoewill

Established Member
I just installed the 2.97 last weekend. I selected the 2.97 since I also installed a low mileage stock rear end. So far it is wonderful! Tremec customer service is also top notch! I had an issue with mine and they took care of me!
Thank you SO MUCH for the response. I truly appreciate it. Any chance you are able to post/make a video of cruising around and possibly a pull or two?

Also, what was the issue with yours if you don't mind me asking?

dazwelding

Established Member
Thank you SO MUCH for the response. I truly appreciate it. Any chance you are able to post/make a video of cruising around and possibly a pull or two?

Also, what was the issue with yours if you don't mind me asking?

I will try to post a video. No real pulls yet though since the clutch and trans are not broke in, and it only has a base tune until I get it back to Pro Dyno for the real tune after I get the miles on the trans and clutch.
I do have another thread with my issues if you want to read more details, but long story short the rear seal blew out, fluid dumped out, which left the trans ruined. It was definitely a hassle, but I am very happy Tremec took care of it.

papajoewill

Established Member
I will try to post a video. No real pulls yet though since the clutch and trans are not broke in, and it only has a base tune until I get it back to Pro Dyno for the real tune after I get the miles on the trans and clutch.
I do have another thread with my issues if you want to read more details, but long story short the rear seal blew out, fluid dumped out, which left the trans ruined. It was definitely a hassle, but I am very happy Tremec took care of it.
I would definitely appreciate that!! I know what you mean about the break in and being careful for it.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
The 2.97 has a bigger drop from 3rd to 4th and is noticeable at the drag strip. For what I do with the car, the 2.66 1st is the way to go as it has closer ratios from gear to gear and keeps it from dropping down as much. Might not be as noticeable in a higher powered car, but i could tell a difference on the ported Eaton i was running at the time.
The 0.5x 6th was almost too low at freeway speeds too. They may have changed that hear since then though. That came with the 2.97 version.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Contact Kevin (@Intervention302) who did the Magnum T-56 swap. He has a lot of videos on YT. I don't know which version he has.

Here are two of Kevin's Magnum T-56 reviews (with drives). Again, I don't know which version he has.

papajoewill

Established Member
Contact Kevin (@Intervention302) who did the Magnum T-56 swap. He has a lot of videos on YT. I don't know which version he has.

Here are two of Kevin's Magnum T-56 reviews (with drives). Again, I don't know which version he has.

Went through his videos, he installed the 2.66 but appreciate the suggestion!

Users who are viewing this thread