CA Resident. Buying New Car OUT OF STATE. Tax??

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Just seeing your location, I bought mine at Helfman Ford in Stafford for MSRP before they ever rolled off the lot. I don't know if they're still doing MSRP deals, but it would be worth a shot if you're trying for a Raptor.

I have had trouble dealing with those fellas, but that was a few years ago. They are actually dealing now?

They did with me. But that's one time and one salesman. lol. Might be worth a call though.
They were the first dealer I ordered through...I gave up on TX dealers.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You pay taxes where you register it, so you would only pay the tax in California.

If the vehicle doesn't have the CA Emissions sticker, you'll need to have it smog tested at your expense; it will pass.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you allowed to buy a car that is not California compliant?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03'Darin

Established Member
I can help clear this up for you. I sell for a Ford dealership in Pa. and have sold 2 Raptors to CA residents recently.

First off the truck must be ordered with CA emissions. 18's are 50 state legal so if it's an 18 that isn't a problem.

You won't pay any taxes in the state you buy the truck from, just CA.

You will pay a transit tag fee and doc fees through the selling dealer.

I made arrangements with a CA dealer to "drop ship" the units there. Ford doesn't charge any different freight cost for us to do that but the dealer receiving the drop ship will charge a fee for that. I had quotes anywhere from $300 - $1,500

Most selling dealers can get the CA paperwork processed for you through a 3rd party. That's what we do.

If the truck is financed the bank will most likely require the selling dealer to process the CA paperwork. They don't want you leaving the dealership with an open CO (certificate of origin).

Before the truck can be CA registered you will have to get the truck weighed, vin verified and CA smog verification from a state police station or AAA in CA.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I can help clear this up for you. I sell for a Ford dealership in Pa. and have sold 2 Raptors to CA residents recently.

First off the truck must be ordered with CA emissions. 18's are 50 state legal so if it's an 18 that isn't a problem.

You won't pay any taxes in the state you buy the truck from, just CA.

You will pay a transit tag fee and doc fees through the selling dealer.

I made arrangements with a CA dealer to "drop ship" the units there. Ford doesn't charge any different freight cost for us to do that but the dealer receiving the drop ship will charge a fee for that. I had quotes anywhere from $300 - $1,500

Most selling dealers can get the CA paperwork processed for you through a 3rd party. That's what we do.

If the truck is financed the bank will most likely require the selling dealer to process the CA paperwork. They don't want you leaving the dealership with an open CO (certificate of origin).

Before the truck can be CA registered you will have to get the truck weighed, vin verified and CA smog verification from a state police station or AAA in CA.
Darin,
I have bought cars in other states and when registering I paid tax in the state I bought it and then the difference to the DMV when registering.

Each state has its own rules so I would tell people to contact their DMV for the final answer.

The help desk at the front of most DMV locations can answer in case they are afraid of a long wait.

I thunk some states continue to tax at each registration based on the value of the car.

03'Darin

Established Member
That may be the case on a used car but not new. Also that may vary from dealer to dealer. Not all dealers use the 3rd party service to handle out of state paperwork. Processing the out of state paperwork through the 3rd party service is a complete pain in the ass at times. However if we didn't offer that convenience we would lose a fair amount of deals.

With the dealer putting that final paperwork process on the buyer it just shifts that burden to them. The first truck I sold in CA took us weeks to get all of the proper paperwork in order to get it processed. That was working with the CA DMV, State Police and our title service. Each state varies on how difficult they are with getting the paperwork processed. i can tell you Ohio and CA have been the two worst states we've dealt with for processing the paperwork.

CV355

_
Established Member
Buy it local unless you find an insane deal.

I have bought multiple vehicles out of state- you can't avoid state sales tax in the state of residence/registration. Well, you can't avoid it legally. There used to be a trend of remote registration using limited POA in states without sales tax, but the gub'ment caught on, slapped some people with fines, and then probably wasted the taxes anyways.

So the best option is to move from CA to the state you're buying the vehicle from.

giphy.gif

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
You had all the trouble with the pre-order, correct?
Not from Helfman. I ordered well into the 17MY from them. They said they had allocations when they didn't. Now my second order from a different dealer, was all sorts of complicated because of my color choice. But they ran out of allocations before getting to mine despite being the first to order from them.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Not from Helfman. I ordered well into the 17MY from them. They said they had allocations when they didn't. Now my second order from a different dealer, was all sorts of complicated because of my color choice. But they ran out of allocations before getting to mine despite being the first to order from them.

Ah, I see. I tried dealing with them once on a 500 and couldn’t get out of there quick enough.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah they gave zero ****s about wasting 2 months of my time and opportunity to order a 17 else where.

nxhappy

Established Member
To my knowledge MOST cars and trucks are 50 state emissions certified. But Im sure there are a few oddball ones out there. You can register most anything in CA if it can pass emissions, its always just how much do you want to/ will you have to pay.
correct, most newer stuff is 50 state.

lilcoop03

Established Member
California is beautiful, but no way I could love there. We have it made in SC when it comes to buying/selling cars as well as emissions regulations and inspections

Users who are viewing this thread